Flux HP, compatible diffs

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI Savage Flux HP Brushless Electric Vehicle.

Moderator: Moderators

cryptz
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Flux HP, compatible diffs

Post by cryptz » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:13 pm

I just grenade my flux hp dif (the screws for the bevel gears all fell out). at this point the complete diffs on ebay seem to be marketed for the other models. do any of the other trucks have the same diff as the flux hp at this point. Or are any an upgrade? I know ours should be 29T but didn't have much else to compare them to. it seems like the savage x 4.6 is similar but could be weaker in some ways and I need clarification.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:24 am

The original Savage diffs had a 13/43 gear combo, the flux has a 9/29 gearing. The reasoning for the change IMO is that the larger teeth can standup to more power. I would recommend staying with the 9/29 gears, as from what I can tell they do hold up much better that the 13/43 set up. That being said, either will fit in the flux, but you must use the sets together, they can't be intermixed, and you must have the same in both the front and rear.
Also from my understanding the 9/29 gears have been made in 2 different ways, machined and sintered. There have been discussions that the sintered gears are not as strong as the machined ones and that is very possible, I have no first hand info on this though.
Aside from the ring and pinion gears, the rest of the parts in a diff are interchangeable to my knowledge.
Not really a definitive answer to your question, but it's the best I can do.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cryptz
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by cryptz » Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:45 am

Thanks, I was aware of the 29t ,machined option but wasn't confident everything else was the same. I ordered a complete diff on ebay and then the 29th machined gear kit separately. There doesn't seem to be any complete machined diffs for sale at this point. Building an entire one from parts was over $100 bucks that is why I went this route.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cryptz
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by cryptz » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:26 pm

So I just wanted to post. I received the 29tooth dif today. I began installing it in the car but I quickly realized that the output drive cups were not large enough for the dog bones. I then disassembled it and determined that the inside is filled with grease, my stock dif was filled with fluid. my stock spider gears are gunmetal in color and these are silver in color. is anyone aware of where I could buy a complete savage flux dif, or something that would serve as an upgrade? I really don't want to piece one together but I may have to.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:15 am

I forgot about the larger dog bones, plus I thought they were only on the NitroXL, I guess I need to get caught up on the newer stuff. Then again maybe you bought them from a chop shop, and they sent you an XL diff? f that is the case swapping the outdrives will fix your issue.
I wouldn't recommend putting the new ring gear on the old diff cup as you said the screws came out of it.
The fluid is easy, just wipe out as much of the grease as you can and fill with your choice of oil.
As for the coloring of the bevel gears, I believe the darker ones are the sintered ones, and the silver are machined. The machined ones have been touted as being better, but I have no actual experience testing the 2.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NITRO_SAVAGE
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by NITRO_SAVAGE » Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:17 am

Hay cryptz I don't know much about the flux except that they are fast and packs a mean punch.
The machined diff gears are the dark ones and the silverfish ones are sintered .

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:32 am

[quote="NITRO_SAVAGE";p="888058"]Hay cryptz I don't know much about the flux except that they are fast and packs a mean punch.
The machined diff gears are the dark ones and the silverfish ones are sintered .[/quote]

Thanks for the correction, i guess my memory isn't what it used to be.......   :roll:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links