BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:53 pm

how are those? Please let us know how they perform.
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:25 am

will do, it'll take a week or two for 'em to get to Sydney, if I can run 'em twice and they survive i'll be pretty happy (that's about 5hrs all up). for fairness sake i'll try as best I can to keep the treatment in the reasonable zone.

oh yeah, the guy I got 'em off will accept offers of $70 so if any one wants to dive on in, now might be the time, last I looked he had 3 sets left but they seem to be a new product so there should be more available I guess, just be sure to make the offer

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:14 pm

are they equivalent to the shock body diameter of the stock big bores? Or are those the thinner ones that require 8 shocks instead of 4?
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:50 pm

they're supposed to be big bores, he's selling the thinner ones too. can't say for sure til I get my grubby mitts on 'em

anyways... here's the result of a dawn raid on the monster bmx track at Sydney Olympic Park

OUCH!!!

so headed home wif both, steam commin' outa me ears and me tail between me legs, GRRRRR!!!!

then this happened...

taxed the front end off me baja, dismantled, shortened shock bodies by 20mm, shoved 20mm of braided tubing over the shafts so not to top out on cap, bunged it all back together and now I'm off to smack 'em up sum

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:32 pm

[quote="hoppinhard";p="883627"]anyways... here's the result of a dawn raid on the monster bmx track at Sydney Olympic Park
[/quote]
Pretty much many of the same issues I've had.

[quote="LLkoolskillet";p="883599"]I put D8T shocks on my X and XL and they arent as durable as the stock BBs.

[/quote]
Man, that's odd. I used to race a D8T and had no problems with those shocks ever. Zero issues. And of course I got to know a lot of D8T racers and while the truggy had some issues...shocks never seemed to be one of them. That truggy had been put through more in a week than I have with my Savage combined. Yet...I've gone through multiple setups of Savage shocks (such as above). Perhaps they weren't designed for that specific angle (maybe it's the picture but it looks pretty extreme).

What specifically did you find more durable with the Savage shocks over the D8T shocks?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:46 am

finally turned up so here's a little side by side comparison / strip down

at a glance: same length hole to hole. longer body so should hold more oil. thicker shaft

same hole to hole when compressed so same travel (note no rubber stopper on shaft)

5mm? I need some verniers. not exactly what I'd call smooth towards the lower end of the shaft

there's no clear plastic bladder thingy in the cap so guna put hpi ones in
the piston's held on by two c-clips, I'm not that fussy so as long as it don't part company with the shaft, I don't care

well, the proofs in the bashin'... will they leak like a sift?  how long will they survive?? only time will tell. will report back soon

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:51 pm

thanks for the report! they seem like an upgrade so far. Like you I don't care much for c-clips, but all in all seems pretty decent so far.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:19 am

nothing to do with the truggyness but I thought jamfin this brace on there might help?

they're real pretty, aren't they? sittin' there all adjustable n shiny n stuff...

???

well not any more they ain't. I knew the plastic bit at the bttom of the shaft was a bit sus, that's a flux or XLoctane (depending on where ya buy 'em) tie rod end jamfed on there, just to get rollin' again style (top).
turns out the shafts r well sus too (bottom (obviously... der skip)).
hey, at least the "cap" and the "thread it's hangin' on to bit of shock body" didn't get sheered off so i'm not writin' 'em off yet. i do feel they're worth the effort, I will rebuild, yes i will rebuild.

as far as "truggy shocks" go (what this thread is realy about, right?)... I'm feelin' like i'm about to, or allready may have strayed off topic far enough. maybe should've posted elsewhere, I duno, there's so many gone before.
despite the amount of sand n dirt n metal filings n other crap jamfed in there (u know where i mean). i'm not virgin to stuf "savage", but i'm new to this computa tweet hash(maybe-ish?) blog thread forum thingy stuf so ya guna have to bear with me.

feel like i'm on a roll n i got a bunch of mismatched shocky bits from Ebays n here n there that i reckon i can and will jamf togeather so I think I'm guna put a new wanodeez post/thread things up... maybe?
"Tuff'n'EZ, home cooked, all business/no frills(not CFM)shocks"
or sumfin like that, devoted to "I DON'T care what ya look like as long as ya can take it, hopefully affordable, bitsa or best bit of this/best bit of that, whatever - so long as they kick *censored* shocks"call me selfish but thats the holy grail for me ((hmmm... sorry, didn't intentionaly bring religion into it). (careful skip!))

RC anarchy WILL prevail... the UNWELCOME cometh... the SAVAGE MASSES will rise! NOW GO FORTH BASHERS ONE AND ALL,
TAKE OVER!!!
Last edited by hoppinhard on Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:33 am

sorry, I duno what happened to the pics???

do me best to check it out/fix now.

blame squid, it's his website((LOL)(only joking)(ha-ha))

nope, can that order. all edited up now (that one and this one)
MY bad, got tail between legs now
sorry Squid

RC anarchy WILL prevail... the UNWELCOME cometh... the SAVAGE MASSES will rise!
NOW GO FORTH BASHERS. ONE AND ALL... TAKE OVER!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:16 pm

What weight shock oil are you using and are you using stock piston? Have you recently started bending shafts at a more recent pace?

Are the eyelets still attached to the arm afterward?. Sometimes the shocks pop out and take a direct hit to the ground or inside wheel at an odd angle.

Just trying to think outside of the box here. In comparing the shafts to others I've tried (TLR, Mugen, Hot Bodies, OFNA/Hoabao, etc.) they don't seem to give out any more than normal (maybe slightly more..but I've bent Mugen and TLR shafts before). My issue with the shocks are performance-related (and yes, I do jump my truck). ;-) Unsure what pace you are bending them but if something like once every 10 jumps I'd wonder if something else is causing it. Sometimes it's the part, sometimes it's the design, and sometimes it's user-error (and I'm speaking about myself here). I always treat things like this a crime-scene..as when I break something I know I should not be...I'm adamant about knowing why. I'll be curious to see what's going on here.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:46 am

um yeah, probably should of put some truck specs out there earlier. sorry all, last thing I want to do is confuse or mislead in any way so firstly i must stress that i never had a persistant specific shock problem like i'm having at the moment on any stock rig ever, just the usual casualties of poor driving.
my rig at the moment is a ground up build with maximum durability dictating the choice of components. I've tried to keep weight to a minimum but for all my efforts it's pretty obese, anyway, the only thing that ever breaks is shocks, on the rear end in particular. its the baja wheels making the shocks work so hard, there just too solid, then that's the way the whole truck's constructed, but if i want to keep running these wheels (and i do... i love 'em!) it looks like modified baja shocks are my best option on this rig, for the rear end anyway, it even feels better ballanced when in the air and so far i havn't been able to inflict any damage to 'em what so ever.
I run all my shocks on the inside, I like the way it protects the caps and keeps the towers from bending in over time. maybe the rpm a-arms flex too much to run shocks inside on the rear end?
I usualy run 350cst oil and stock piston, being sure not to over fill as i like a spring configuration that allows a full range of travel, probably a little on the soft side normaly and a bit stiffer for the BMX track.
I think every aspect of the shafts that came with them "mystery brand" ebay shocks was rubbish, they died on reasonabley flat ground with a few ruts in it but the body, caps, etc. so far have held up fine. i'm guna put some 5mm redcat shafts(havn't bent one yet) in there next and see how they go.

i've got a bunch of shock bits comming from www.blacksmithproducts.co.uk for future experimentation (i think he turns these bits up himself, not sure)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:15 pm

How does it feel on the bench? Unsure if you are running the upper RPM arms, but imagine you could add 230ct (22.5w) due to how it binds the stock hinge pins. Did this start happening after you put them on? I never even bothered to run my RPM set they were binding so badly. You might also consider your down-travel. Jared Tebo was at our old track once and I was listening to him tell a group of folks about how removing droop screws is a good way to bend shafts I guess the equivalent for a TVP design would be to remove the stock limiter (I have a few sets where I've done this but no bent shafts yet).

Mounting positions for stock tower should not affect this, BTW, suggest alum towers if you are having problems with the stock. I've made my Savage durable as well, and concluded that the stock towers were the cause of multiple issues I would have never imagined. I know the Savage community is against alum towers for some reason...but it's the #1 'upgrade' I would recommend to anyone.

If it means anything...back in the day when I would break parts I'd sometimes think to myself "Perhaps I'm just running this thing too hard." Then I realized there is no such thing. I love your approach here, as with me...it all begins with durability. So don't back down....I assure you I do anything with my Savage. It's why I have it...to let out aggression...and bent shafts have not been an issue. So take comfort in knowing it's not a wide-spread problem with this vehicle.

Finally, what are some of the durability enhancements you've made to your Savage? I always love reading about how people have solved specific durabulity problems. Thx

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:11 am

yeah, i know what ya mean about the rpm's. i run a drill bit through 'em and shave a fanny hair off the outside around the hole as well. integy rear hub carriers can also bind badly so they get the drill bit too.

droop screws, i guess, serve the same function as Killer Kables on a baja, limiting downward travel of a-arm to stop the piston from bottoming out, reducing damage to not only shafts but apparently a bunch of other bits too. if this is true (i don't know? only what i've read about killer kables authored by people who sell killer kables. hmmmm), may be a good reason to not put truggy shocks on a savage, where neither of these options are available. truggy shocks for the most part are just too short, for a basher anyway, i think unless you plan to stay on the smooth stuf, all that bottoming out inside them shocks every time you leave the ground will soon find 'em wanting. and again here comes the disclaimer, i don't know the dimensions of all the shocks out there. that reminds me, while scouring the net i turned up a couple of possibilities:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361111363613 ... 1423.l2649
these are only 6mm longer than big bores and should be the business, they better be, i ordered a couple of pair meself.

and

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Exceed-RC-Ma ... 4d26f96965
these are only 8mm longer than big bores and under us$50.00 + postage. i'd do it but i got enuf buildin' n testin' to do for now.
any crazys out there willing to part with 50 and give 'em a go? it's only 50 and it's for the greater good of mankind so you'll still feel good even when ya bust 'em!

(censored) it's hot!

this lot turned up yesterday, told ya's i was busy nuff.

rebuilt the mystery ebay shocks today. had to drill out the bit where the shaft goes through with a 5mm bit to fit the rampage shafts, put some big bore o-rings in too. they feel sweet now. the shafts are a real snug fit, not all rickety n wobley like the crap ones they came with, they slide in and out real smooth too. hope they don't bind up when it cools down a bit(lol). did i mention it's really hot?
well once again, the proofs in the bashin'. probably not 'til next week, its guna be 40+ celcius here tomorrow... too hot!

some wagon specs n pics here. the gimps down bottom, where it belongs.
modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic& ... &start=460
think i did that link right.
RC anarchy WILL prevail... the UNWELCOME cometh... the SAVAGE MASSES will rise! NOW GO FORTH BASHERS ONE AND ALL,   TAKE OVER!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:51 am

well i haven't got around to doin' anything with all them shocky bits yet. ended up bending the 5mm rampage shafts i'd put in them alloy shocks i got on ebay (the rest of the parts are still fine by the way) so off with them and on with the shortened baja shocks all round, for keeps by the look of things. i'm runnin' 110mm 1/5 springs from blacksmithproducts in the uk (IMO good length and acceptable spring rate), rubber boots on the shafts and full force shock covers to keep the crap out. i've beaten the living snot out of these things for the last couple of months, to the point where i'd actually become obsessed with bustin' 'em and i just can't find fault. anyways, after bendin', snappin' and just wearin' out an assortment of other bits somthin's finally parted company with the board inside the xl2, shorting out and popping one leg off every capacitor including the cc cappack and seriously puffin' up a couple of 3s lipos with hydrogen gas, ouch!!! that snapped me out of it quick smart.

shortened baja shocks: very tough at a fraction of the cost of a set of I-RC'S ... unless u go around like a fool tryin' to break 'em and end up havin' to replace more than the cost of the I-RC's worth of other parts. DOH!

any luck with any actual truggy shocks anyone?
RC anarchy WILL prevail... the UNWELCOME cometh... the SAVAGE MASSES will rise! NOW GO FORTH BASHERS ONE AND ALL,   TAKE OVER!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:30 am

Thanks so much for the update. Would you be kind enough to send the part number or numbers for the 'shorterned baja shocks'. This was recommended to me once before so made a mental note to check on it...but I'm real intrigued now. Appreciate it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:28 am

here's the link to the ones I got but there doesn't seem to be any available at the moment...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/361111363613 ... 1423.l2649

maybe send 'em a message, they might have some lying around or be able to give ya some info on when/if they're going to restock.

check out www.PredatorRC.com.au they often have resized baja shocks for some of the contraptions they sell, just b sure to check out the dimensions first. they're prices are good too and with the aussie dollar at around 78c US at the moment should b dirt cheap for ya's stateside.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links