Truggy shocks

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Truggy shocks

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:45 am

I increased the internal limiter in my Savage yesterday. I've never had to do that on a vehicle, but man it's a wonderful thing on an MT. ;-) I can finally independently set droop, I've got bones even, I can test out many more springs now, etc.

This is allowing me to tune the overall weight distribution and it's cornering well for an MT--but room to grow.

I know the shocks themselves can be better. I know Renegade runs MBX6-T shocks...Does anyone run Xray, Kyosho, TLR, etc? I'm going to try some D8T shocks. I'm asking about those makes because I know they have quality shocks.  

Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

aris
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by aris » Sat Sep 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Hallo, the question is what shock towers will you use to feet the truggy shocks? As long as platinum projects does not respond to any e-Mails the only solution is the IRC aluminum towers or to modify hellfire towers if you still find any in the market. Does anybody has another idea?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:12 am

Thanks for the reply!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:48 am

What is the benefit of running the truggy shocks nitro? I am curious since I want to upgrade my shocks because I want something more adjustable. What is your opinion on the losi shock mod? Are those LST shocks better than the standard big bore setup? They sure look beefier that's for sure, plus I like how they are adjustable (threaded shock bodies w/ adjuster nuts) instead of pooping on/off those plastic collars on the plastic HPI big bores.
Last edited by NizzleMaShizzle on Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:03 am

My phone double posted sorry  :cry:
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gablett
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by gablett » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:32 am

I have the LST shocks on FLM towers with the LST mod. Works great, plus the FLM towers are massively adjustable. They do come with a standoff that you can run different shocks on. Plus with all the adjustment points, you could run any shock in the book I would think. I think they are worth it. The LST shocks are massive. Great shocks. I too did it for the threaded body and increased fluid since my #1 thing is jumping.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:33 pm

I noticed that the FLM shock towers do have tons of mounting holes to install different kinds of shocks (be it buggy,truggy, or stock), plus they are plenty thick.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:31 pm

[quote="NizzleMaShizzle";p="883319"]What is the benefit of running the truggy shocks nitro? I am curious since I want to upgrade my shocks because I want something more adjustable. What is your opinion on the losi shock mod? Are those LST shocks better than the standard big bore setup? They sure look beefier that's for suHPIre, plus I like how they are adjustable (threaded shock bodies w/ adjuster nuts) instead of pooping on/off those plastic collars on the plastic HPI big bores.[/quote]

This is a great question and guess I should have elaborated. I want quality shocks. I am basing quality off race kits such as TLR kits, Mugem. Xray, Kyosho, Agama,Tekin, etc. Truggy shocks are the longest shocks of quality I know of, so that is why I mentioned quality shocks.

I know the most popular trend is to buy them in bulks. For someone like myself who runs different shock configurations that is great. Of course, just like the first time you press throttle on a quality engine, no matter what your plans are for the vehicle...you understand the difference in performance, durability, and maintenance.

I'm happy to go in to detail on any of those, but I've put so much in to this truck, and the weakest area for it is it's shocks. I mention Truggy because I am familiar with those brands, and Savage shocks compared to the ones I noted above....it's like night and day. As noted, good question. I am assumed this was something a lot of folks do but it's not. So I keep wondering...'am I missing something"? I keep waiting for that big "GOTCHA! to surface but is hasn't yet.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gablett
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by gablett » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:00 pm

[quote="NizzleMaShizzle";p="883329"]I noticed that the FLM shock towers do have tons of mounting holes to install different kinds of shocks (be it buggy,truggy, or stock), plus they are plenty thick.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:40 pm

@I_Like_Nitro I guess it really boil down to what you want your truck to do.  You seem to have a different approach to your rig, where you set it up to do specific things depending on what you want to do with your truck and the terrain its running on.  I am sure that when you are looking for finesse and precision, truggy shocks (specifically those that are tested and used in a race environment) would be perfect for the track and bashing. I can't wait till you share with us your complete shock setups for the specific things you are going to do.   For folks like Gablett who love to jump, I see his need for a "beefy" shock setup.  Losi's seem awesome due to the larger capacity shock bodies and thicker shock shafts, also an added perk is the adjustable pre-load.  For me, I am a backyard basher and I wanna fly in the air too LOL. I am trying to setup my rig to be an all around performer, with durability being my primary concern.  So I feel the Losi route is the way for me, until I see another shock option that piques my interest.

@Gablett Thanks for the pics! Truck is  mean man.  Mean.  :twisted:  I can't wait to get my setup as well.  :D  I'll message you as soon as I get em' (should be within a couple weeks or so) so I can pick your brain again.  I see you went back to the Trenchers!  I absolutely love my Trenchers! I am sure they compliment your shocks when you go jumping.  You could probably drop your truck from 2 stories high and its gonna land like a soft pillow..LOL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:54 pm

[quote="NizzleMaShizzle";p="883336"]@I_Like_Nitro I guess it really boil down to what you want your truck to do.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:54 am

@Nitro Let me be more specific...I am under the impression that you are going to buy different shock setups depending on the terrain you are running. When you mean shock setup, are u going to be running different shocks altogether depending on the surface? E.g. kyosho shocks for street, mugen shocks for dirt... Or do you mean that you are going to buy one set of shocks and play with the springs/oil wt./pistons/position on tower? Because you mentioned kyosho, xray, mugen, and buying them in bulk. If that is the case, for me I can't afford to do that due to budget constraints LOL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gablett
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by gablett » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:25 pm

Yea this is definitely not the only option for shocks. They only thing I see as a difference is weight the shocks are designed for. My savage weighs a lot more than a truggy. There is no replacement for displacement. Im just not convinced (and I am 100% capable of admitting defeat) that truggy shocks are better able to handle the weight of the savage plus the added shock associated with massive air with that weight. Increased shock oil volume along with strong components seemed to me to be the best option, one that I wanted to try out. So far so good. But as you know, John, as I did with the LRP motors, if I determine at all there is a better option, or that these are not a better option, they will get pulled off and the best option put on. Yea the components are somewhat expensive, and kinda hard to find, but what isnt expensive in this hobby?

You sound like you are well on your way to making a beast of a savage. The savage for me is a mess around toy. I just like trying different things on it. I dont intend to race it, just bash its balls off. Yea the ERCM side bleed leaves something to be desired. The end bleed on the other hand is a very nice pipe. You better wear ear plugs though because it is insanely loud.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:02 pm

All I can say is we will certainly find out. You know how I feel about talk-talk, Gardner. I'm only going to defend what I believe vs what I have experienced so much. So...I'll get right to the point: I feel confident that I can design a set of shocks that can do everything the "LST shock mod, or IRC shocks" can do (AND more!)..for almost half the price.

Yes--I understand the price-quality ratio in this hobby--very well. I started out with an Exceed Forza that I cut my teeth on and was tenacious from day one getting punched in the gut daily, then weekly, then monthly, but I did not stop . This is why I respect all those guys who took their lumps like I did with =<midmarket vehicles.As I progressed through the hobby I waited until I had a need, thus learned to appreciate having something better when I did get it.

Of course I've shown that my approach is in keeping the spirit of a Monster Truck. I can't dismiss your setup because I've not tried it. Those IRC do look a little cartoonish to me.

Oh, and concerning displacement...that us a viable problem that I have considered. Ironically the IRC shocks have a greater variance from stock. If the claim for this deviation is that they are the "unbreakable", first I would call BS, and second I will take my chances with the race-proven shocks

If I'm wrong, well I can certainly make use of a quality pair of truggy shocks, and I think you know I won't give in. If the end of the road leads me to IRC shocks...well then that's how we'll roll. I'll know at least I've performed my due diligence...and just like every other 'upgrade' have explicit pain-points to justify me decisions.

As noted above...please say the word and I'm happy to list out why I feel truggy shocks are superior than stock. Even more so when you consider the cost of the known options.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gablett
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by gablett » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:53 am

Yea I am confident you will give it your best shot to find a viable option. To be honest, thats all Im trying to do here. I make no claims that these shocks are the best most cost effective option. Although I did get the shocks pretty darn cheap ($40 shipped). The only thing that kept me from going the truggy route, which with these shock towers I could have, was the sheer length of travel and volume of shock oil. I want maximum travel and maximum dampening due to my jumping habits. I know some of this can be overcome with springs and heavy oil, but then you get bouncy and not so great over small bumps. Everything is a trade off.

Yea I would agree, I want to keep it as pure bred of a monster truck as I possibly can. I was also afraid running truggy shocks would take some of that away. It may not be the absolute best practice, but I gotta say, they work really well. Even better than I anticipated. I can run a little lighter oil that normal and still not have to worry about it slamming down on jumps.

No they are no stronger components than any other shock. They are aluminum bodied, which you and I know that doesnt make them stronger, just allows them to be threaded, which honestly is right at the top of the list for reasons I did them. Big shocks that are still threaded. And yea they do look out of place until you get use to them. They are a substantial amount larger than stock.

Oh I know you wont give it, thats why I like following your channel so much, you dont take no for an answer.

Yea for sure I and Im sure everyone else would like to know your thought process on why truggy shocks are the best option. Not necessarily why they are better than these LST shocks, since few have them, but why they are better than stock.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

hoppinhard
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by hoppinhard » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:16 am

I want standard length "abuse proof" shocks too (who doesn't???)

I reckon if we all bang our heads together we have the technology to re-engineer our big bores...

I drilled out the bottom of mine with a 5mm drill bit & replaced shaft with "Redcat Racing Front Shock Shaft (5mm) x (94mm) (V3) # 50121N".
It's an easy mod, the shaft is close to same length, no leaks either!

No more bent shafts, now just need sum shock bodies that don't get the top sheered off so easily... Any suggestions?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:44 pm

Well...as an update I'm closer and closer to crying 'uncle'. Can't say I'm there yet...but need at least 82mm for zero downtravel. That's tough (seeing as this is a MT going over rough terrain!) ;-).

I like Hoppin's thinking here. I guess it's best to go back to my requirements:

Durability (the stock shafts have been okay. I've torn them through some bodies, however...so would like alum bodies.
Tighter seal: I'm unsure if it's the o-rings the stock set use or what...but they expand very quickly and loose their seal resulting in air gaps...resulting in poor damping. Again...right now I'm just rebuilding every other time out.
More tuning options: I've got this licked with stock. I've found a plethero of springs (Mugen MBX5T springs work well) and have found various pistons that will fit.

I think I'm up to like 12 sets of stock shocks now....they are cheap which is a plus. Just getting tired of rebuilding then...but if that's what I have to do. Plan Y would be getting a set of custom ones made. I know guys like Mitch Looper at M2C makes some pretty nice shock shafts. I've not given up yet...but not feeling quite a confident either. ;-)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

reddog6625
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by reddog6625 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:38 pm

What about the baja 5b shocks? Seen somebody doing it......Any info on that?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:40 am

[quote="reddog6625";p="883588"]What about the baja 5b shocks? Seen somebody doing it......Any info on that?[/quote]
Nope..but THANK YOU. I'm about to find out more on it!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:04 am

I put D8T shocks on my X and XL and they arent as durable as the stock BBs.

[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links