Picco Boost .28 rotostart in Savage

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

tommyrox
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Picco Boost .28 rotostart in Savage

Post by tommyrox » Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:13 pm

So just got my Picco Boost .28 rotostart and didn't think about it earlier but the rotostart is completely blocked by shock tower etc... I tried to flip it around but nothing worked. Anyone have a work around for this except to convert to pull start? I was wondering if the rotostart backplate from my HPI engine would fit - unfortunately it went out on me and it's in transit to HPI for warranty replacement.

I would greatly appreciate any any feedback on this - mid 60's here in Texas and ready break this new motor in. Thanks!
[color=maroon][i]*Picco Boost .28
*Ofna 086 pipe
*Hitec HS-7955TG (Steering)
*Hitec HS-7940TH (Throttle/Brake)
*HPI Sway bars - front and rear
*HPI Wheelie bar
*RPM Center skid plate
*Venom 6v 1800mAh Hump pack[/i][/color]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:09 am

I believe the f4.6 roto start will work on the picco boost.
the ofna force roto start will also work.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sat May 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Hey TRox,

Where did you get the Picco? I can't locate one to purchase anywhere.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tommyrox
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by tommyrox » Sat May 16, 2015 10:19 pm

[quote="Mendoza";p="885882"]Hey TRox,

Where did you get the Picco? I can't locate one to purchase anywhere.[/quote]

I got mine from Absolute Hobby and you should be able to get one from Desoto Racing.
[color=maroon][i]*Picco Boost .28
*Ofna 086 pipe
*Hitec HS-7955TG (Steering)
*Hitec HS-7940TH (Throttle/Brake)
*HPI Sway bars - front and rear
*HPI Wheelie bar
*RPM Center skid plate
*Venom 6v 1800mAh Hump pack[/i][/color]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:36 am

After buying a nova 28-8 RT And starting my new build I just get a message from absolute hobby that the picco is back in stock... Might have to get one and put it on ice - cheaper than the nova but hard to get.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:58 pm

I bought the last blue top picco from Amain the other day lol. Got a screaming good deal on it. Was very surprised to see it was in stock so I jumped on it and paid $164 shipped! It going on the shelf

You can use the picco roto with the savage, just reposition the roto so you can slide the roto shaft through the right side hole in the tower to turn the roto plate
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:15 pm

From Amain - That is dirt cheap! They must of found a box of lost inventory or something.. Hahaha. I heard the boost was the better engine/no?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:45 am

*censored* it LL that was YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU! I was gonna get it like a week before praying no one would get it of course you had to ROFL
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:18 am

LOL, they are identical motors with the exception to the button, cooling head, and carb. The internals are the same. IMO the amount of pinch from the factory is less on the boost. I just prefer the blue top but really like the boosts cooling head.

I had the wife send me a pic of the motor, its a legit blue top p/s, I was worried for a bit it was not what it said it was because the blue top is stupid hard to find now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:37 am

All I can say is congrats sir. I got a picco boost .28 from Robin just waiting for it to get back from the spa LOL. Kinda wanted the one you got for nostalgia since it's soo hard to come by nowadays. If it was any other person that deserves it, it's you man!  :o
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:20 am

Thats why I bought it, because it might very well be the last blue top. If I do use it, it will be ERCM modded and it will be put to good use. If you need help finding parts or anything for the picco just let me know.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:58 am

Fckn Jackpot LL! .. Yeah the cooling head is sick - I'm getting the boost and putting it in a safe. Not as rare as the BT but it's getting there.

Would be interesting to see what the blue top would drum up in an auction. At least triple what you paid for it.
Last edited by Mendoza on Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:03 am

Legitimate Collectors item ... If you don't mod or run it, it's price will go through the roof. Just keep rebuilding your current Picco inventory. I still actually can't believe it  8O

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:43 am

The Boost are easy to get now....initially there was a issue when the new distributors took over, they didn't order any 28's ..but now they have the engines ... issue is they don't sell anywhere near the number of 28's as they do .21's and the numbers were so poor the factory puts it on low priority...Need more guys running MT's and buying 28's....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:37 pm

@skillet *censored* yeah man i'll definitely hit you up u are the mr miyagi of the picco .28's fo sho!

@nitrojedi I wonder, on a marketing standpoint....you would think the ratio of bashers would outnumber the amount of hardcore racers to warrant more of a demand for piccos to produce .28s for the basher scene. Perhaps that isn't the case. Most likely I think people who run MT's are fairly new to the hobby and don't look to upgrade so they are content with running an RTR engine. Therefore hardcore mt guys like skillet, myself and others here are also a small niche that wants the very best for their MT projects. I think high end engine manufacturers need to market to the basher scene more. If they can find a way to grab that audience they can make a profit! I'm sure the same goes for you as well with TNS--more people who are looking for your services are most likely racers that want the very best. That's why I think personally it was a wise business decision for you to offer a modded LRP. After all, most of the guys on here looking to upgrade just purchase an LRP ______  <insert model here, and call it a day. Those that want piccos and novas are few. I think it takes cooperation from both the community and the engine manufacturers (and modders) to make that happen. There are definitely tons of money to be made--look at all the people who buy savages. Each savage owner is just another potential person to market to. Well, either that or HPI needs to make the savage bumpstart capable. That won't happen anytime soon....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:30 pm

[quote="NizzleMaShizzle";p="886445"]@skillet *censored* yeah man i'll definitely hit you up u are the mr miyagi of the picco .28's fo sho!

@nitrojedi I wonder, on a marketing standpoint....you would think the ratio of bashers would outnumber the amount of hardcore racers to warrant more of a demand for piccos to produce .28s for the basher scene. Perhaps that isn't the case. Most likely I think people who run MT's are fairly new to the hobby and don't look to upgrade so they are content with running an RTR engine. Therefore hardcore mt guys like skillet, myself and others here are also a small niche that wants the very best for their MT projects. I think high end engine manufacturers need to market to the basher scene more. If they can find a way to grab that audience they can make a profit! I'm sure the same goes for you as well with TNS--more people who are looking for your services are most likely racers that want the very best. That's why I think personally it was a wise business decision for you to offer a modded LRP. After all, most of the guys on here looking to upgrade just purchase an LRP ______

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:01 pm

Jedi,

I think you are correct with respect to the total volume of manufactured units being skewed almost totally toward .21 size engines. I contacted the factory a few months back as well as a number of other Picco suppliers (globally) who were completely out of stock and had no visibility of whether they would be getting any more. Some said the .28 may be discontinued others said the factory was allowing demand to develop. In my desperation of a high quality unit I even reached out to the Triton owner who said he doesn't make a .28 because of the racing demand for .21's. I was unaware of this development because I had been out of the hobby for a while.

In LHS's across Australia it's true that the focus is almost purely on electric and RTR. Nitro focus is almost exclusively limited to on road racing. I know this because I contacted most of them over the phone in my search and have physically been to all of them across Sydney/NSW which is economically the largest state in Australia. You ask about a .28 engine or larger, or ask for MT parts and they look at you like your from another planet.

@Nizz,

I agree that most MT enthusiasts are either early into RC or settle for RTR packages. And like any pursuit in life it's only the small minority that pursue the best i.e. could be bothered to replace the RTR engine with something of superior quality and performance. Usually because they never got the best out of the stock engine or spent the time To master tuning, so I think many make the electric switch after the first attempt. Personally I will always run an MT which provides max fun factor IMO. But there is no doubt that nitro MT bashers are becoming fewer. IMO Convenience, ease of operation and the fact electric can be run in your suburban street without 'disturbing the peace' are the biggest factors eroding demand for top end, big block Nitro engines.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links