Lrp 32 clutch slipping

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

Dcoll02551
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Lrp 32 clutch slipping

Post by Dcoll02551 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:13 pm

I have an lrp 32 motor on savage xl that I just converted installed hpi aluminum shoes and gold spring set in with weights in clutch shoes! My issue is truck rips off the line and goes maybe 30ft then rpms scream an truck loses traction! I'm assuming I'm losing clutch shoe tension on the clutch bell or shoes are slipping anyone else have this issue and cure for problem ! Have a lrp 30 that is same way and no fix have tried springs different shoes new clutch bell ! Any help is appreciated

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:08 pm

Highest forces on the shoes (and the rest of the parts that make the truck move) are when the truck begins to move from a stop. I would expect any slipping to occur then.
What size are the springs? I can't remember by color. .9mm is stock, black I think, but I forget if the silver are 1.0mm and the gold 1.1mm or vice versa.
Is it possible that you have too heavy a shoe with too heavy springs and as the tires start to get grip, when the forward progress of the truck allows the tires to grip it is slowing the engine enough to let the clutch/motor slow down so that there aren't enough RPMs to keep the shoes engaged. Sounds out there for an explanation, but it's all I came up with at the moment.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dcoll02551
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Dcoll02551 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:28 pm

I follow what your saying and makes since trucks blows tires off when you nail throttle ( Tires spin an throw gravel everywhere) but it's almost if once second gear is engaged and you throw wide open throttle the rpms screams ( meaning 30k plus) an truck loses foward moment ! I believe the package said the gold springs were 1.0 and the silver are .9. I even went back thinking as you were that I had to much spring not allowing shoes to engage correctly or fully on clutch bell. But once I installed the silver springs and took back out to try if I hold my foot against front of truck it won't even spin tires on gravel holding it an giving throttle were before it would! With silver springs it was worse then before on second gear an so forth! Truck will half throttle threw all gears an when you dump the throttle to full you can see truck lose speed an hear rpms go throw the roof ! I'm baffled because I have another truck with lrp 30 doing samething. And another with mid tank mod lrp 32 with same clutch setup an it has never been an issue ! And yes I installed clutch shoes the correct way lol

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dcoll02551
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Dcoll02551 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:33 pm

I even ran a full tank of probably quarter to half throttle to let the new shoes and clutch bell mate together ! And then once I came home an started to retune engine and all h*** breaks lose with clutch! Lol

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:06 pm

The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the clutch package slipping on the crank. Did you change the clutch/flywheel?
2 different trucks with the same problem though.........if you built them around the same time, could be something with the build process???? :?:  :?:
Keep us informed especially if you figure it out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dcoll02551
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Dcoll02551 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Never thought about that but I will def check that ! Makes since do to the added power of lrp motors over stock I guess I'll put the TAF tighten on them !  :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:14 am

I would ensure you have the right tires before doing much more. In other words, try to "harnass" that power and dig in.

I went from stock to a clocked Nova 28-5 (which is 'different' power....trust me) and did not have to radically change my clutch setup. It's engaging at the same amount of RPM. Send is a picture of the shoes, bearings, and clutch bell.

Both scenarios suspected here are based on friction and thus they look/sound similar, (the engine pitch stays tje same but the vehicle is moving forward). Usually it's how angry the pirch of the engine is that can delineate alone . Thus the RPM gap wastes power either through wheel spin or the clutch enaging so early the gets a jump start but the RPMs are too slow so it starts to disengage as the engine increase RPMS (iei power wasted through clutch) this is what I'm "guessing"Basing it one what I have experienced and validated with various engineers I am categorizing these behaviors correctl..but I am alwsys wanting to learn more so chime in anyone if this differes from your experieces.

If I had to guess you need to spring up. If your clutch is slipping and you are having tire spin I would try other tires. It's one of the two,. Throw up a vid and I'll try to see if I can tell

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dcoll02551
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Dcoll02551 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:26 pm

Aite just got home pulled motor redid entire clutch all way from flywheel foward tighten the *censored* out of flywheel to point I thought was going to ring off installed clutch shoes with gold springs then installed clutch bell ! Reassembled fired up warmed motor up blasted it out hole went 15ft and same thing as before rips out of hole breaks side ways then falls on its face an rpms scream truck goes no where ! All parts on this build were brand new out of package ! New bearings shoes clutch bell collet flywheel etc ! I'm lost

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Dcoll02551
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Dcoll02551 » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:46 pm

Found my problem ! Easy as making sure spur gear is fully tight and not blowing slipper pad away once rpm come up ! Thanks for all the ideas an help

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:05 am

Atleast it was an easy fix.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

I_Like_Nitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by I_Like_Nitro » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:32 am

How tight was it before? I hope that is the case...let us know if it happens again,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links