SAVAGE XSS REBIRTH 3 Speed tranny BP upgrade

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

SAVAGE XSS REBIRTH 3 Speed tranny BP upgrade

Post by Mendoza » Sat May 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Hi - brand new to the forum and rom Australia so I know I'm a couple of years behind already and hope you guys can help me get up to speed ;)

I know it's been written about before - I'm have read the awesome post about how to upgrade the savage 3 speed tranny (about 5 times) and got all the parts except cannot locate the steel 44T 1st gear (#SSAV3344T) replacement for stock part HPI 77054. Have looked everywhere - literally hours on forums and a ton of online hobby shops, as well as eBay and Amazon.

I have an LRP.30 spec 2 waiting to be dropped in with a JP-4 pipe, but don't want to start break in until I sure up the drivetrain.

Would really appreciate somebody pointing me in the right direction ... Is there an alternative if this part is discontinued, what are my options etc?

Wish I knew how to post a picture of my XSS - I'll get one up once I work it out

Thanks

Garage: Savage XSS, SAVAGE 25 (my first), HPI RS4 (Novak brushless - 90+km/h)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SV250
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by SV250 » Sat May 09, 2015 11:29 pm

Do the mod with the plastic first gear for now. Its stronger than you think nit sas the thin metal gears that are the weak point. You can easily swap the first gear later. You might have better luck finding the titanium first gear. Its also made by HR. They didnt sell as much due to the cost.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/383%20Jeep/SV-SIG04-02.png[/img]
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/?special_track=nav_tab_album

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun May 10, 2015 2:26 am

Just run the plastic gear like SV said. DO NOT run the titanium gear, its wears and creates a dusting throught the entire case and will cause all your gears to wear much more rapidly.
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun May 10, 2015 5:49 am

Thanks SV & LL ... Hit the jackpot with you two responding to my post - appreciate the advice and I'll take it! The plastics are cheap so I'll stock up.

Just bought and fitted a new hardened steel 47T spur gear,17tooth ventilated CB and HPI purple aluminium clutch shoes with 1.0mm springs. Do you think the 47/17 ratio is a good one for the LRP 30? I've got a spare 18T CB but not sure which to run?

Ive always ran 20% nitro with 9% oil in the K4.6 but was told recently I should be putting 25% in the LRP - if 25% what oil% is ideal? Also is it ok to run OS A5 #10 plugs instead of LRP R5's? Got a good deal ... Thought why not.

Sorry to be asking you simple stuff, just want to get the best out of the new mill. Got plenty out of the 4.6 - a good 15 gallons, but never worked with an LRP / non RTR engine before. BTW - I know after reading your posts I should have gone a Picco but got impatient and impulse bought the LRP on special at my LHS... Next one will be a Picco or Nova... Was thinking of an XL roller and doing that for my next project.

I'll get some pics up ASAP.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun May 10, 2015 6:42 am

Go for 30%, burns cooler and makes more power. You don't need to do anything but adjust the tune. If it's a new motor you can even break it in with it. I use Werks 30% on from start to finish. Amainhobbies is having s sale on quarts. I hope it's still going on. Buy 12 qtrs and you don't have to pay the hazmat charge. And add a few other things and get it shipped for free

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun May 10, 2015 6:42 am

Oh and 17/47 will be just fine with an LRP 30

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri May 15, 2015 10:27 pm

Not sure if this has worked ...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri May 15, 2015 10:29 pm

This is ridiculous ... I give up trying to post photos - I'm on photo bucket but I run a MAC... Maybe that's the problem

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri May 15, 2015 10:34 pm

Link:
BBcode:
HTML: