Mid Tank Upgrade Worth It to resolve HTL?

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Mid Tank Upgrade Worth It to resolve HTL?

Post by Mendoza » Tue May 12, 2015 10:38 pm

Guys,

Looked at a few options re Mid tank conversion and they are all fairly expensive. My question is how do the expert level Savage owners combat this problem with their high performance, high revving Picco's, Novarossi's and LRP 28's?

I'm assuming HTL actually impacts these extreme engines more drastically than RTR mills...

Have read some previous posts, looked at YouTube but nothing really conclusive and not that keen on wrapping two feet of fuel line around the chassis.

Cheers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SV250
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by SV250 » Tue May 12, 2015 11:26 pm

I run the ofna 120cc tank in stock location. I have one midtanked but like you said its a lot of time and money.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/383%20Jeep/SV-SIG04-02.png[/img]
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/?special_track=nav_tab_album

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Wed May 13, 2015 5:17 am

So the ofna 120cc completely solved the problem for you then, or do you still have to put up with minor leaning as tank level drops?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SV250
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by SV250 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:05 pm

No tje ofna tank is uniform in size all the way down.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/383%20Jeep/SV-SIG04-02.png[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Thu May 14, 2015 6:54 am

any chance of sharing part # ... Ihave found an ofna 125cc hyper 7 tank but not sure if it's the right one?

http://www.amazon.com/OFNA-Racing-Fuel- ... +fuel+tank

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Thu May 14, 2015 3:28 pm

I also use the ofna tank in place of the hpi savage tank. Mine it from an ofna lx1 buggy.
I don't know if anyone has tried but it looks like a hot bodies d8t tank would work well.
If anyone can confirm that it would be appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri May 15, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanks BBB ... Is yours a 150cc and sits in the same position as the stock job?

Is this the tank?: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ofna-Fuel-Tank- ... 51c45bb8d9

Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Fri May 15, 2015 8:27 pm

mine is ofna part number 30280. its a 125cc tank.
i just looked on tower hobbies web site and it says its discontinued
I'll look at a few of my other trucks and buggies tonight and see if anything else will fit.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri May 15, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks BBB...

I am going to give this set up a try with the standard tank (courtesy of YouTube)

http://s1072.photobucket.com/user/crown ... sort=3&o=0

And in the meantime I will buy the tank you recommend as a back up. I'm dropping a new motor in (LRP.30) so Wanted to do the SV250 BP tranny upgrade and sort out the HTL issue before I put the new motor in.

If neither of these solve the HTL I'm going for a midtank conversion ????

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bigbigbrig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bigbigbrig » Sat May 16, 2015 11:11 am

I think the hip hellfire tank is also a fit with a little work

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

gwalk03
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by gwalk03 » Sat May 16, 2015 2:03 pm

I'm trying to figure out the same thing.  I  will probably get some extended TVP's and do a Mid-Tank Conversion in the future.  I have a pressure fitting and a one way valve.  I'm either going to put a t-fitting in the line from the muffler to the tank and add the pressure fitting to the bottom of the tank like is in the pic above with the one way valve and use the stock fuel pick up or I will put the pressure fitting at the bottom of the tank and use a longer line to run to the engine and loop it a few times and just put the one way valve in between exhaust and tank to keep the tank at constant pressure.  I have a thread in the other area asking a similar question but after reading TON's of posts nothing is clearer.
Savage X 4.6
Hitec HS-7955TG steering, HS-5565MH throttle/brake, Futaba 3PL radio, 2500 mHa batt., Aluminum Rear axle carriers and steering knuckles, Boca Bearings, Phaltlines and Big Joe IIs, Tony's Screws, Robinson Racing Gen3 Slipper, & more!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

savagenoob
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by savagenoob » Sat May 16, 2015 7:07 pm

You can do a midtank with stock tvps. I used a hellfire tank, RPM receiver box, and mounted the battery on the front shock tower. I modified the stock tank mounts to fit and drilled holes in the TVP to mount everything. mid tank pics
Hellfire mid-tank, F4.6, 18/47, XL 3-speed, Max-life alu shoes/Mugen 1.0 springs, Losi HT pipe
Other rides: REVO w/Mach2 .19, REVO w/3.3, T-Maxx w/2.5R, Stampede w/ Megatech M16, HPI firestorm, ECX Circuit

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sat May 16, 2015 7:48 pm

Hey thanks for the continued input guys - I'm trying to find an alternative to the MTM for the time being because of the money I've spent on new radio, servos, engine etc.

Gwalk, I actually ran the pressure fitting, t-fitting and one way valve set up briefly with the stock K4.6 engine and that included running a looped tank to carby fuel line from the original feed (because I wanted to run through the stone filter). It seemed to provide consistent pressure from full tank but my issue was I couldn't test long enough because as luck would have it the k4.6 failed on the afternoon that I bought all of the gear and fitted it to the truck - couldn't believe it.

In the past and before I did the mod my truck would be pig rich until it got to half tank which is when it would run well. This seemed to give me that 'half tank feel' at full tank.

Can't wait to actually put my new engine in and test it properly.

Good luck - please update on how you go with yours... If you get it right Specs on fuel line length would be awesome

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sat May 16, 2015 8:03 pm

Savagenoob, forgot to say I liked your mod amico ... That looks like a good lower cost MTM than the whole TVP swap out thing. I'll be considering it once I get the new engine in.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

savagenoob
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by savagenoob » Sat May 16, 2015 10:32 pm

It works great. I bought my Savage in 2004 and mid tanked it in 2005 and its been that way ever since. I have since changed to X tvps and everything is the same except for a couple of mounting holes ant the throttle servo mount. I used a skidplate brace from a tmaxx and bent it to mount the servo.
Hellfire mid-tank, F4.6, 18/47, XL 3-speed, Max-life alu shoes/Mugen 1.0 springs, Losi HT pipe
Other rides: REVO w/Mach2 .19, REVO w/3.3, T-Maxx w/2.5R, Stampede w/ Megatech M16, HPI firestorm, ECX Circuit

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SV250
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by SV250 » Sat May 16, 2015 11:44 pm

Flm makes servo mounts that can go anywhere. Just need to drill a hole where you want em.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Sun May 17, 2015 2:40 am

I like those servo mounts SV! Just patiently waiting for more care packages to arrive to finish my conversion WOOHOOOOOO!
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

savagenoob
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by savagenoob » Mon May 18, 2015 3:14 pm

I had to make a taller mount because the top of the X TVP beside the engine is too low to mount the throttle servo to. I bent the tmaxx skidplate brace into a L shape and attached it to the engine plate at the cross brace screws. the attached the servo mounts to that. I can take a few pics if you would like.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

realsickclown
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by realsickclown » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:48 pm

I just drive harder after half tank and learned that does sorta remedy this issue, but in a basher setting it leans out.
Move or I'll run over you.

Savage XL nirto on 25TVP's
Traxxas Rustler 3.3 nitro
Intech ERSC-10,full mods
Traxxas Slash 4x4 highly modified
Axial SCX10 73' Bronco full mods,Holmes Hobbies
Axial SCX10 Comanche
VXL MERV

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:07 am

The truck def goes harder / can be driven harder when it leans out and drops to half tank. No disputing that. Looking to determine whether the mid tank mod gives a much bigger advantage over the ofna tank mod or the t-joint/one-way valve mod.

Started the thread to get best HTL resolution because I am running a new engine and I want it to have consistent lubrication and tune from top to bottom.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links