Novarossi legend 28-8RT v Novarossi 28-7T

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Novarossi legend 28-8RT v Novarossi 28-7T

Post by Mendoza » Fri May 22, 2015 6:34 am

So after advice from some of the experts I started looking at the Nova 28-7T, but then came across the 28-8RT ... Which looks like a new engine from Novarossi but doesn't appear to be available, anywhere. Are both of these engines going to have the power to pull wheelies easy, have a great top speed in stock form or do they need to be modded?

Does anyone know the diff between the two Nova engines and where to get a 28-8?

This is holding up my savage rebirth... I have an LRP 30 but now want a nova ...

Any help hugely appreciated. Truck just sitting there ... New dx4s, savox servos, jp-4 pipe, lst2 shocks, BP gears for BP mod, fuel cooler, HTL mod, all just sitting there waiting to go together ... Fckn frustrated

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SV250
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by SV250 » Fri May 22, 2015 7:43 am

If the new 8 port is like the old one, it should be a low end power house with the seven port being the screamer.

Pm nitrojedi. Hes been working with novas for a long time. I dont know of anybody else thats run both engines.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/383%20Jeep/SV-SIG04-02.png[/img]
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v376/sv250/?special_track=nav_tab_album

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MShark
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by MShark » Fri May 22, 2015 8:15 am

If my HPI F4.6 can pull wheelies easily, I don't see why those 2 novas wouldn't lol
Looking for well modded truggy/buggy, PM me! Also maybe Savage X/XL

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri May 22, 2015 8:19 am

Yeah... My k4.6 ripped wheelies ... Just wasn't sure of the powerband of stock Novas ... All top end etc .. didn't know Never had one. Was more about characteristics/diff between the two

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri May 22, 2015 8:36 am

Hey SV, thanks ... I'm close to getting one from Jedi... We've been talkin... May as well go all the way and get one of his modded units - the only drawback is you never get to know how the stocker performs out of the box

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun May 24, 2015 5:54 pm

2015 model nova legend 28-8RT has been ordered. Along with 3 x Nova 6TGC plugs + 1 x 5TGC which I thought I would use for break in and Nova after run oil.

Pumped!!!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Titansavage
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Titansavage » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:47 am

looking forward to a review on this motor. Also, if you don't mind me asking....what did the modded motor cost you?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:35 pm

Italian Stallion ... Didn't go with the modded option, not enough clear info provided and I wanted to experience how good / or bad this engine is out of the factory.

Image[/URL][/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:14 pm

lets see a picture when you open the box.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lizard
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by lizard » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:27 am

If that motor is the same as the older 528XRP, then you have the baddest nitro engine there ever was. There is no such thing as a powerband on those, it has brutal power everywhere. You pull the trigger, it instantly screams away, no matter what the RPM is.

I still remember when I put that motor in my Savage in 2007 and ran it with my buddies for the first few times. They were stopping their trucks and putting their transmitters on the side whenever I would start my beast up, just to watch it :)

Here is an old video of my Savage back then (sorry for the quality, there were no good inexpensive cams back in 2007):
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/1027496/Der_gelbe_Savy

Mind you, that Savage had a 1 1/4 inch extended LCG chassis with the receiver 5 AA batteries on the skidplate for lower center of gravity and it still wheeled like crazy. For comparison, a HPI K4.6 in the exact same truck would not do wheelies at all.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:25 am

Thanks for the video Lizard - your experience sounds super. . . I would be totally satisfied with that. I have black innovative RC TVPs on order (1inch extended at the rear, 6mm in front) so hope this thing screams. I received the Novarossi tuned pipe today, so looking forward to getting the engine and breaking the bad boy in.

That photo was from the hobby shop - engine was finally received direct from factory (2 weeks after I ordered it) and he is shipping it to me today... I'll post up some footage of the engine when it's arrived.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:34 am

Video didn't work but I noticed your a Borussia Dortmund fan... My uncle is German - he is also a fan of that football club and a Mercedes engineer.

I have a lot of respect for German engineering ... I had a 69 Benz, then Audi TTS, now drive a supercharged Audi S4 ... Pity they don't make nitro engines

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lizard
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by lizard » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:14 am

Haha, that's cool. Somebody from a different continent on a forum in another continent knows my hometown and football club :)
No, I am not a Borussia Dortmund fan, I just happen to live in Dortmund, the video was made by my buddy who is a fan.

Yeah, german engineering is great, but I think it's getting worse lately ;) When you compare a W123 or W124 Benz to the newer ones, not so solid anymore. But I guess that's just how the world goes.

The Innovative-RC TVPs are great, I had exactly those, just not in black.

If you run Maxx-size tires like Badlands or something (around 5.9 inch diameter), I'd recommend 17/49 gearing, that was what I always ran (With Losi Zombies back then, but sadly they don't make them anymore).

Not sure why the video doesn't work for you. It needs flash to display, maybe thats the problem.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:05 pm

Be sure to post some videos. I look forward to seeing this engine in a savage. The link didn't work for me either.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Hey Lizard,

Just wondering what pipe you were running with the engine? The hobby shop said like you that this engine powerband is constant, very strong throughout the rev range and recommended a Novarossi 51016 which is a 3 chamber and what I purchased with a Novarossi 41021 short curved manifold, both are recommended by Novarossi but I also want to ensure I don't limit top end. This pipe is quite thick though, which makes me think it will deliver strong bottom end, but if the engine is made to rev then maybe it needs something that will allow it breath.

Other pipes I was thinking were the Werks racing 2013 pipe and Novarossi 51020 which are said to be fantastic. But I am going off reviews not experience with these options. Hobby store said he would exchange for me.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:11 pm

And German engineering definitely not what it was, but I still think they make the best engines and are still the best option.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lizard
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by lizard » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:54 am

I tried a Tsais M25 and a Mielke 2011 pipe back then. With the M25 I had problems getting the lowend needle right, had the feeling it needed a richer lowend which made acceleration from standstill a little sluggish.

Liked the 2011 better. It would limit top RPM a little bit (but it would still rev higher than 'normal' engines) but apart from that, there was instant brutal power everywhere. And it was very easy to tune with that pipe. With all other engines I've had, I always had to run a little richer to make sure they didn't overheat when run hard. When I had leaned them out for optimum power they would always get hotter over time, so I always leaned them out to the point they run erratically, then back off the needles a little, then check temps to see if it slowly rises, if it does, back-off needles a little more.

With the Nova and 2011 pipe, I would just lean out the needles to the point it begins to run erratically, then back-off the needles just a little (= the point of maximum power) and done. No need to check temps and richen afterwards, temps would always stay around 100-110 Celsius, even in Summer.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:19 am

edit.

the 9901/41021 is typically not a combo for a .28.... the 9901 is a restrictive 3 chamber pipe used for noise regulations... Great if your after a smooth racing setup, but maybe not for a powerful MT... ideally you want to use a 9886/41001 or 9853/41001 with that engine... In the very bear future I will dyno test all the different pipe combos on that engine and see which combo works the best on that 28

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:24 am

Your a legend Jedi, appreciated your advice and will buy my next engine from you. Thanks for taking the time to post on this thread.

eery timing, I took the pipe back today for a store credit and ordered the 9886 after reading one of your earlier posts and checking out your new website.

In hindsight I should have bought the stock mill from you, I probably would have had it by now.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:33 am

[quote="Mendoza";p="886210"]Your a legend Jedi, appreciated your advice and will buy my next engine from you. Thanks for taking the time to post on this thread.

eery timing, I took the pipe back today for a store credit and ordered the 9886 after reading one of your earlier posts and checking out your new website.

In hindsight I should have bought the stock mill from you, I probably would have had it by now.[/quote]

thank you !

In all fairness my site just went live yesterday...so you didn't really miss out.... I was swamped quite bad the last 6 weeks so its all good with me...........it usually takes about 3 days to Australia from the time I ship.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links