XSS - V2.0 - NOVAROSSI / IRC

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Re: XSS - V2.0 - NOVAROSSI / IRC

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:49 am

[quote="Mendoza";p="886745"]Jedi, have I possibly prematurely worn out the engine? Last 3 sessions of break-in approx. 500cc of fuel per session equating to 3-4 consecutive tanks, mid to high rpm. I was thinking about what you said in terms of me not running as rich as I thought.

It starts fine cold or warmed up... Plug looks ok, it idles as per the videos but with the plug out I notice the flywheel is fairly easy to turn over, it makes the 'bop' sound but expected it to be tighter. With the plug in I cannot turn the flywheel over at all.

What should sort of compression should I expect with plug out?[/quote]

everything is normal... they are not tight engines to begin with.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:57 am

Cool ... Was getting worried. Piston has turned a light brassy colour ... Was going to pull it apart to check pinch but I'll leave it.

Hope to test out the tuning advice asap. Going flush and flush is going to take me leaner than my current setting but I'll go with it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:59 am

[quote="Mendoza";p="886748"]Cool ... Was getting worried. Piston has turned a light brassy colour ... Was going to pull it apart to check pinch but I'll leave it.

Hope to test out the tuning advice asap. Going flush and flush is going to take me leaner than my current setting but I'll go with it.[/quote]

I use flush and flush as a baseline to prevent damaging the O-rings on the needles...... counting turns tears the O-rings........ this doesn't mean to lean your engine out, just my recommendation to use flush and flush as a baseline to tune from instead of constantly recounting turns back to factory !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:06 am

A few more tips

Never, ever ever pinch the fuel line and count how long it takes to run out of fuel...this doesn't work and leads guys to terrible tuning practices...like going for a eye exam and the optometrist shoving a finger in your arse.....

never count needle turns.... the constant turning can damage the O-rings on the needles.... then the shredded o-ring particles can make it into the fuel jet and cause a blockage which can really thow the tuning out the window

temperature means very little...as long as your between 20o-300 your fine....whats most important is how the engine sounds and how wellit idles down after a pass

Throttle linkage...make sure your linkage is closing 100%, never use any trim on the throttle...this will make the engine untuneable..... every time you let off throttle the carb slide needs to close 100%, needs to snap shut with authority.... if the carb slide hangs in any way the engine will be difficult to tune

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:08 am

Ok, i get you. But I could go back to F&F and thats a safe setting to tune from next time I'm at it?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:14 am

[quote="Mendoza";p="886751"]Ok, i get you. But I could go back to F&F and thats a safe setting to tune from next time I'm at it?[/quote]

if the engine seems rich then yes...but if its not rich then no..... really need to tune to what the engine is wanting....at this point needles presets can cause more harm then just tuning from where you are at....

preset idle gap..then set the LSN for a reasonable idle... then set the HSN, but at the same time monitor the LSN as you change the HSN....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:27 am

Ok ..

- I Dont pinch test
- my bad I did count out turns - in half turns
- Max temp I hit was 265F after 2 hours of constant running
- my bad - I had throttle trimmed up trying to get an easy start/idle

Last couple of Q's...

1/If I take off at full throttle and it cuts out at low rpm and then picks up is the LSN lean?
2/I know I need to tune HSN first, then LSN but how do I know when HSN is right?
3/Does it like a rich HSN and leaner LSN ... Is there a rule of thumb for this engine?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:30 am

[quote="Mendoza";p="886753"]Ok ..

- I Dont pinch test
- my bad I did count out turns - in half turns
- Max temp I hit was 265F after 2 hours of constant running
- my bad - I had throttle trimmed up trying to get an easy start/idle

Last couple of Q's...

1/If I take off at full throttle and it cuts out at low rpm and then picks up is the LSN lean?
2/I know I need to tune HSN first, then LSN but how do I know when HSN is right?
3/Does it like a rich HSN and leaner LSN ... Is there a rule of thumb for this engine?[/quote]

both high and low should be close to each other in relation to flush....if one needle is in a pile more then the other your out of whack

Usually if you have a bog down low its the LSN on a Nova like this, but it can also be clutch....... many tuning issues end up being nothing to do with tuning but with the setup of the truck

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:32 am

Sorry bro, I was writing my last one as you posted...

Thanks again and enjoy your Sunday  8) Mine is over and I'm back at work tomorrow  :?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:32 am

bad idle can also be from clutch drag somewhere, not enough shims between the clutchbell and engine, or a bad clutch bearing

in no world should the engine have to be so lean to idle that it lean bogs.....

also a hesitation can be too rich too.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:43 am

Yeah the low cut out went away when I richened the HSN first and then LSN. When you say set LSN for reasonable idle, that's after its fully warmed up? And To do so I putt around come back then move the LSN 1/36 or do I put it on a block and blip it and adjust LSN incrementally?

Leaner LSN = higher idle?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:46 am

I'm going to pull out the clutch after work tomorrow and check it. They were brand new purple hpi aluminium shoes, maybe due for the edges to be rubbed back. I'll also tighten the slipper nut.

The clutch is spinning freely, just spun it and no grab at all but I'll strip it down and take a closer look.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:01 am

[quote="Mendoza";p="886757"]Yeah the low cut out went away when I richened the HSN first and then LSN. When you say set LSN for reasonable idle, that's after its fully warmed up? And To do so I putt around come back then move the LSN 1/36 or do I put it on a block and blip it and adjust LSN incrementally?

Leaner LSN = higher idle?[/quote]

I was just commenting that something isn't right if you have to add throttle trim to keep engine idling and are experiencing a lean bog...

And I keep adjusting the LSn as the engine warms up..... sometimes I set a temporary needle position to help me get thru the warmup process.....

and only worry about idle once engine is fully warmed up... when cold they dont idle....and if you set the idle cold the engine will end up being way too lean when warmed up..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:02 am

How tight is your flysheel on the engine ?    this needs to be  tight or the flywheel will slip on the crankshaft..in your last video I hear slip when you apply throttle...either slipper or flywheel or both

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:49 pm

It's tightened fully then backed off about 3/4 of a turn and loctite used. I'll be checking tonight.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:51 pm

[quote="Mendoza";p="886762"]It's tightened fully then backed off about 3/4 of a turn and loctite used. I'll be checking tonight.[/quote]

you loosened the flywheel after installation ?     thats the procedure for the slipper not the flywheel...the flywheel needs to be clamped hard.. I am not taling about the spur gear, I am talking the flywheel that the clutch shoes ride on

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:56 pm

That nut I tightened extremely tight with flywheel wrench and used loctite... Maybe it's loosened up.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:04 pm

your truck is flying nice! what gears you running?
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:52 am

It's got so much more to give... The Tuning is off but I'm hoping to get it much closer this weekend after I take on board Jedi's coaching and get the new tank on. 17/47 but I think I've got a killer mani and pipe combo.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

badboy
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by badboy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:03 pm

I had a flywheel loosen and back off a bit recently. I know I used locktite and tightened but it still happened. It's worth a look.
BADBOY- Savage X: Picco .28,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links