XSS - V2.0 - NOVAROSSI / IRC

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Re: XSS - V2.0 - NOVAROSSI / IRC

Post by Nitrojedi » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:59 am

[quote="Mendoza";p="886899"]Ok fellerz, ran the new tank set up and it's definitely better. More consistent top to bottom. Even at full tank it's responsive. Followed Jedi's advice and found tiny adjustments make a big difference on the nova. I think I have the LSN fairly close, idles down quick after WOT, but it doesn't like to idle (warm or not) at 0.5mm gap. Period.

Finding it likes it rich and as Jedi said there is a very fine balance between tuned and being off... This is one fussy fckn Italian b1tch!

I made 1/32 incremental turns and found the tune varies hugely within a particular 1/12 zone. On the rich side it pulled like a train, and I think I've now blown either the gearbox or rear diff. Something was clicking under acceleration going to strip it down tonight.

Snapped a shock shaft too ... first jump since the rebuild - landed fine just nosed down slightly to one side and annoyed at how easily it happened - big question marks on LST

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:43 am

Thanks Jedi. It was saturated ... checked the gap when I stripped the truck down today and it was actually under 0.5mm. I've now wound to about 0.7mm (safety pin as a guide). I reckon my exhaust line was also too long. Probably n

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:35 am

Careful with a thicker line. If not snug on the carb air can sneak in. Give a try running a very long (tight) fuel line with a very short return line, it did the trick for me. Made run from full to empty much more stable, less variation.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

NizzleMaShizzle
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by NizzleMaShizzle » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:00 pm

How did that happen? You sure u didn't clip something off to the side like a branch or post? You must have gotten a bad batch of shocks? I dunno brah...Fortunately for me I haven't snapped my shock shafts like that yet, neither has my cousin, and we jump our rigs pretty decent....It's almost like this truck of yours is cursed or something. You should name her Christine LOL! On a lighter note, that does really suck and must be annoying considering all the trouble you've gone through so far to get your rig running in tip top shape. I wonder how much your rig weighs? My cousin's truck is 13lbs and change with batteries and fuel--just to report, the LSTS are holding up with the IRC mount and that truck is a nice jumper. Did you bleed your shocks out? Is there too much pack? Perhaps lighten the oil? I dunno.....
[img]http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa436/subyboo/Savage/SC_zpse28103b3.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:19 am

@sinist3r... My lines are tie-cabled tight, thicker walls for better insulation.

@nizz... Platinum coated shafts on the way. Truck is not that heavy... I actually think it maybe the alu caps which don't allow as much Flex. I've since thrown the sto k twin shock set up back on so I can keep running.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:23 am

I've ordered new diff gears and composite bulkheads for front and rear to keep everything nice and tight and will be throwing in new bearings.

Badlands also on the way.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:54 pm

[quote="Mendoza";p="886915"]I've ordered new diff gears and composite bulkheads for front and rear to keep everything nice and tight and will be throwing in new bearings.

Badlands also on the way.[/quote]

What are these composite bulkheads you speak of? I thought the stock bulks were just that.

Dig you chew up your diffs?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:34 pm

Ok, so she is idling like a champ without any trim... adjusting the idle screw and shortening the exhaust line helped. Now need to reduce idle to drop the slight hang.. This engine is fantastic - phenomenal power throughout the range for a stocker.

You may also hear a couple of bogging moments... I worked it out to be fuel slushing about and the nipple sucking air. My next mod will be an elbow nipple at the bottom of the tank in the stone filter recess which should assist this problem.

Im a bit dirty that I flipped her a couple of times and slightly scraped the cooling head (no bends).

Here's a few vids ...

http://vid1072.photobucket.com/albums/w ... ervpgy.mp4

http://vid1072.photobucket.com/albums/w ... x4rrqj.mp4

http://vid1072.photobucket.com/albums/w ... laeaqv.mp4
Last edited by Mendoza on Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:05 am, edited 2 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:38 pm

My research suggests XSS or XL doesn't come with composite bulkheads standard ... It's an upgrade on the HPI website. The composite bulkhead comes standard in the flux and is meant to be better for high HP applications.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:11 am

Wow that's enlightening, I had no idea, wish I knew that last week. I just checked the fleeBay and 25 bucks shipped, I'm ordering a set. I have 4 sets of bulks and no clue if any are the composite versions, I figure I need to assume they are XL stockers (my trucks are built from mixed bags of parts) and its better safe than stuck with something busted.

I'm so glad I didn't order bulks already cuz I probably would of ordered bulks off a XL or X, vs the Flux.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:38 pm

Before you get them for $25 bucks... I picked up a pair off eBay for $4.79 + $5.50 postage part# 102272 from Jenny RC (JRC). I think they dismantle rtr's and sell them by part. That's where I got my XXL2 shocks @ $34 a pair.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I should of mentioned I'm in Canada and our dollar is weak. Shipping to Canada and have to convert to CAD, its like 17 bucks and change USD, comes out to 23bucks CAD.

Shipping and a weak dollar make modifying RC in Canada expese. At least in MTL where we have 2 hobby shops and both suck. Neither stocks much parts and both order from AmainHobbies but add a mark up. It's funny cuz usually I grab from AmainHobbies but the bulks are cheaper in the end off eBay pulled from a RTR.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:31 pm

M8 the Aussie dollar has tanked bad... It was as good as $1.20 against the USD but is now down to around $0.70 ... I always buy from Amain but postage kills me every time too.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:09 pm

Dang your dollar is worse than ours. Tough, man few years back the CAD was on par even ahead of the USD and it was a great time for ordering parts.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:48 am

Even with the conversion / shipping, LHS pricing in Aus ends up slightly more expensive with less choice. Amain & Ebay all day long.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:09 am

Body in the panel shop... Going for the clean sports look ...

Phase 1.

Phase 2.

Phase 3. Pin striping done. Final colour to get put down.

Phase 4. Body - finished - decals to go on

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:31 am

I'm drooling so much I need to mop up.

Nice Job, looks grrrrreat.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:15 am

Hahaha ... Thanks bro! I've got a heap of great stickers to throw on but don't want to touch it yet ... either way it'll get bashed up once my current body is retired ....  But I may just keep this one good for a while because I'm doing my 72 Chevy C10 long bed body (race style) next which may end up being the basher first.

No shelf queens in my garage - only work trucks :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SiNiST3R
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SiNiST3R » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:28 pm

Looks really good bro, I'm a big fan of Black trucks lol all of my RC except 1 are black and that looks sick, well done.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:22 pm

with a few decals... But decided just now I'm removing the window dressing before I cut and mount it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links