ofna tank source?

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

JesseA420
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

ofna tank source?

Post by JesseA420 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:59 pm

anyone have a reliable source? i found a 125cc on amazon, but most of them seem to discontinued like the 140cc dominator tank.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

MonoSavageX
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by MonoSavageX » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:05 am

Idk but ebay has a bunch of the 250cc tanks
Savage X LRP.32 All sorts of upgrades!!!
Savage SS Custom machined TVPs LRP.28
LOSI 5ive-T Upgraded engine/servos
Jato 3.3 Stock

If your not supposed to break them, why do they make new parts?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:11 am

Stock available on SC store

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bean2080
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by bean2080 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:08 am

The part number is 30280, there is two on ebay but the price is a little high on them.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:28 am

$10 on SC Store ... Under 'forums' on this site

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:18 am

I just bought one of the eBay listed Ofna tanks. Paid $24! I didn't buy from SC Store because they want $45 to ship to Australia... Ridiculous!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:52 am

Just a word of caution... coming from racing OFNA fuel tanks always had poor tuning characteristics, on several of our OFNA cars we had to install fuel tanks from other brands.... So if I were choosing a tank a OFNA would be one of the last I would choose..Ideally a tank from a Losi 8T truggy would be my ideal choice, the tune stability as the tank goes down is in a whole other league then the OFNA style tanks....To some this may not matter as you might not run a race tune, but for those racing and running on the edge this can be a game changer......

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Great... Just wasted $40 bucks including shipping on the POS! After reading 20 or so threads on this forum suggesting it's the best tank to avoid HTL. SV250 also recommended it in my mid tank lean mod thread.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:23 pm

[quote="Mendoza";p="886657"]Great... Just wasted $40 bucks including shipping on the POS! After reading 20 or so threads on this forum suggesting it's the best tank to avoid HTL. SV250 also recommended it in my mid tank lean mod thread.[/quote]

SV250 knows his stuff pretty good...so if he uses this exact tank then its most likely good to go !

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:26 pm

We used to race OFNA cars and except for the CRT 2.0 we ended up swapping out the tanks on each of them, even my OFNA DM-1 fuel tank was quite poor.................. generally speaking I find clunk style tanks to be better tuning then the traditional style fuel tanks.....a clunk is where the fuel pickup is a weighted bob that can follow the fuel.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:50 pm

Good to hear from you. My instinct was saying go with a Kyosho inferno tank, I also considered the 150cc serpent and D8T but went with the majority on this forum. I want to cancel my order but too late now. Looks like I'm buying another tank... Ill grab a losi 8T.

Your not talking about a tank for a mid tank mod though are you? I want something to put in the original savage location.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:10 pm

[quote="Mendoza";p="886665"]Good to hear from you. My instinct was saying go with a Kyosho inferno tank, I also considered the 150cc serpent and D8T but went with the majority on this forum. I want to cancel my order but too late now. Looks like I'm buying another tank... Ill grab a losi 8T.

Your not talking about a tank for a mid tank mod though are you? I want something to put in the original savage location.[/quote]

I Am not sure how a 8T tank will fit.. in the world of offroad the Losi has the most consistent fuel tank, allows a racer to safely run a more aggressive tune which results in better run times...other tanks have a more pronounced tune shift as the fuel level drops which forces a less aggressive tune to prevent the engine from going lean as the tank nears empty, which results in less runtime... When we are racing we have the engine tuned perfectly spot on the edge so there is no margin for error so the stability of the fuel tank is quite critical. With my Kyosho or Mugen I would have to run a slightly richer tune then I would with a Serpent,Losi or HB.....as the traditional style tanks go thru a more pronounced tune shift as the fuel level drops, whereas the cars with a clunk tank we can be a little sharper as the tune will be more stable as the fuel level drops.......This matters for us in racing, but it probably not going to matter for the average basher unless they are tuning and running on the edge....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:07 pm

Thanks - great info. The clunk system maintaining a more stable tune makes sense.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JesseA420
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by JesseA420 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:15 am

what is the capacity of the 8t truggy tank? how much bigger is it overall than the 125cc ofna tank?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nitrojedi
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Nitrojedi » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:27 pm

[quote="JesseA420";p="886710"]what is the capacity of the 8t truggy tank? how much bigger is it overall than the 125cc ofna tank?[/quote]

Losi 8t tank  is 150 cc

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JesseA420
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by JesseA420 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:28 pm

just picked one up, thanks for the info m8!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:47 am

I now have an 8ight T 3.0 tank, agama 150cc truggy tank (clunk), the OFNA and a serpent 150cc (clunk). I'll be trying to fit the losi 8ight first and see how well that goes tuning wise.

I'll then buy 3 of whichever tank is best and get rid of the rest. My goal is to find the best fitting tank that gives the most consistent tune.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

messiah1
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by messiah1 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:54 pm

I run an OFNA 250cc tank on my mid-tanked XL.  I love this tank.  Get great run-time out of it and haven't noticed any issues with it as far as HTL.  I did put a different o-ring thicker) on the lid when I first got it because it always seemed to open up while bashing.  The thicker o-ring keeps it shut tight.  I also set it so the front is a bit higher than the rear, even with the design of the tank sloping towards the back.  This way I get every bit of fuel to the motor.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mendoza
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mendoza » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:09 pm

I'm working on putting the agama 150cc truggy tank in the stock position, and will post some picks. For me the midtank is a great mod, but I am trying to keep my truck close to original configuration. If I can address HTL with less work than the full MTM, I will be super happy.  :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

olds97_lss
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by olds97_lss » Thu May 05, 2016 11:58 am

Post up some photo's if you get it installed.

I ran the old OFNA 125cc tank on my savages for years, but the current one on my X, the spring is shot and the o-rings are dead, so it leaked really bad. I went back to the stock tank, but lowered it about 1/2" to help combat the HTL issue. Seems to have helped quite a bit. Although, wouldn't mind finding a different 150cc tank that fits in the stock location with 4 big bore shocks on the truck. having the extra room behind the tank helps.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links