Finally Got It!!! Racer Suspension

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

JasonS
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Re: Finally Got It!!! Racer Suspension

Post by JasonS » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:06 pm

I noticed that the kit added a bit of castor w/ the stock tvp's. Any idea how much? LCG TVP's add a bit on their own, I wonder if that added by the suspension kit would be too much. First guess is probably, any reports?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ni_smo
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by ni_smo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:53 am

Hi all, newbie here,

just got mi supsension kit, had they fixed up last nite.

my kit shows the savage with single shock in the front.

just had a test run with it.
turning of the truck is better but i don't like the suspension setup, seem like the single shock front is hampering the way it take off a ramp, and when it land.
everytime it lands,the front suspension just cant seem to hold up the truck, keep causing it to flip over. had follow all the instruction, single shock, 45wt oil, 20mm spacers.

anyway, will have more run with it and tune up as i go along.

photos of mi setup and after the test run.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Thunderbruiser
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Thunderbruiser » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:30 am

may be getting it and 17mm hubs after a few runs with ss suspension kit which i am running racer x length shocks and im only gonna run 4 and run it as low as possible and thinking of running wing...but that kit looks killer how is it? at least for those who've run it

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:59 am

I just bought this as well along with the LCG racing chassis set with 17mm hubs as well. Couldn't resist. It was a fair price to imo. Should be a noticable improvment on my basher for sure.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sicj
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by sicj » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:31 am

I found a little thing that need to be addressed....

I noticed that between the knuckle and the upright that the steel knuckle bushing was already wearing into the knuckle taking the annodizing away....Just from turning the wheels back and forth! Not even driving it, let alone with the total weight of the vehicle pushing on them.

So I had some special Tamiya grease from previous kits that is designed for this metal-on-metal rubbing (like in CVD's) which I used it on aswell.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about and where to apply the grease.

I'm glad I found this wearing issue before I ran this kit. Without this grease I could see it being a huge problem within the first gallon of running it. Eventually ruining your knuckle and causing slop/binding.

If you've had a Tamiya kit before you should have this grease. It comes in a little jar with the kits, but in a tube when you buy it seperately.
Savage SS Basher
TLT Custom Tube-Chassis Crawler
Lunch Box
TA05

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ni_smo
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by ni_smo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:48 am

sicj wrote:I found a little thing that need to be addressed....

I noticed that between the knuckle and the upright that the steel knuckle bushing was already wearing into the knuckle taking the annodizing away....Just from turning the wheels back and forth! Not even driving it, let alone with the total weight of the vehicle pushing on them.

So I had some special Tamiya grease from previous kits that is designed for this metal-on-metal rubbing (like in CVD's) which I used it on aswell.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about and where to apply the grease.

I'm glad I found this wearing issue before I ran this kit. Without this grease I could see it being a huge problem within the first gallon of running it. Eventually ruining your knuckle and causing slop/binding.

If you've had a Tamiya kit before you should have this grease. It comes in a little jar with the kits, but in a tube when you buy it seperately.

hi sicj, thanks for the tips, didnt realise about that. think i should have the grease somewhere in the house, need to go look for it.

once again, thanks.

nismo
Too much too list....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:24 am

sicj wrote:here they are...

Front

Just wondering what lower arms your using? I want something not so bulky looking for mine when I put this setup on it. thx.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Integra
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Integra » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:42 am

2low4u hes using RPM arms......u can blatently see the RPM name on the arm. :oops:
[img]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s102/davidmoxley123/Misc/Sig.jpg[/img]
Blue Groove Apparel - Hitec - Losi - WED Paint - Byrons Fuel - O.S. Engines - Tekin - Clockwork Engines Team Driver - Matrix Concepts.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:05 pm

Integra wrote:2low4u hes using RPM arms......u can blatently see the RPM name on the arm. :oops:

Man You know what. I was trying to look & blew it up & stuff but never dawned on me they were RPM lol. Shoulda known eh? DOH!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Integra
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Integra » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:06 pm

2low4u wrote:
Integra wrote:2low4u hes using RPM arms......u can blatently see the RPM name on the arm. :oops:

Man You know what. I was trying to look & blew it up & stuff but never dawned on me they were RPM lol. Shoulda known eh? DOH!

np dood every1 makes mistakes sometimes.. 8)
Blue Groove Apparel - Hitec - Losi - WED Paint - Byrons Fuel - O.S. Engines - Tekin - Clockwork Engines Team Driver - Matrix Concepts.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:12 am

I'm wondering if this race setup will allow me to use Inovatives LST shocks & mounting kit with it?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Integra
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Integra » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:58 am

2low4u wrote:I'm wondering if this race setup will allow me to use Inovatives LST shocks & mounting kit with it?

definatly NOT u need older 25 arms to make the mountin kit work....u can mount them to the rpm's......but it wont be that sturdy and prolly will break after 1 gooood crash.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bendover
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bendover » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:10 am

Guess what I just did!
I ordered the kit from Towerhobbies for $181.00 US and saved $8.99 on my order because I used and old ad number. I get the kit next week, but I may have jumped the gun, all I needed was the parts to do the rear, I didn't need the front, oh well, if my LHS is looking at this right now, YOU DROVE ME TO DO THIS!! Image

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:40 am

You got bent over Bendover! I paid $139.99 US for my kit which should be here anyday now. Good luck with it though. Looks to be a nice setup for sure.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kurt_02f150
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by kurt_02f150 » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:03 am

i paid 150 shipped for mine.

I need to get those little peices greased for sure.

What turn buckles are you using? I have the lunsford but they seem tight at full droop.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bendover
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bendover » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:06 am

Desperate times call for desperate measures! My LHS never even heard of the kit let alone their suppliers, and the kit has been available for a month now so I warned them, get on it or you lose money from me.
And I know, I got hosed, Ebay had a set that was $20 cheaper but the shipping to me would have been the same anyways.
If I saved $20 CAN after my LHS gets the kits in, I did pretty well considering their mark up on the kit.
And like I mentioned, all I needed was the rear so maybe I can sell the front end conversion and make some of the extra money back. Who knows.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

2low4u
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 2low4u » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:19 am

True! I'm in NS to though. Shipping wasn't all that much cause I got about half a dozen things with it as well right. You'll be able to sell the peices you don't use easily to.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bendover
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bendover » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:22 am

I needed the rear end so my JP-3 pipe header doesn't get too close to the LST shock.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bendover
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bendover » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:35 pm

I hate UPS. Never, never again. 2 day delay due to bad weather and no E-mail or phone calls that it would be delivered late. They suck.

My first impressions after opening the kit, "God Almighty, WHAT THE F**K IS WITH THIS PURPLE?!"

The first problem I encountered was anyone who uses alloy bulkheads will have to cut the spacer that sticks out from the upper arm brace, it's not needed, it's only there for the plastic bulkheads where extra support is needed when the brace is removed.

Second problem is that you will have to grind some material off the bulkhead where the upper arm ball end is attached, this is shown in the directions and it's needed to give extra room for the ball end to move freely.

And last there is a fair amount of play in the pins that hold rear hubs to the bottom of the A-arms, they should have supplied some shims to compensate, so I placed some in regardless.

I can really notice how this kit improves the handling, when you compress the suspension before the kit, the axles stay at the same angle all the way up and down, after the conversion, you get more camber as it compresses, buggy style- meaning you can take harder turns with out too much side wall over flexing.
I can't wait until tomorrow when I do the front end and then fire it up for what might be one last romp in what little snow I have left.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bendover
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bendover » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:18 pm

Day 2 = Now I got problems. After assembling the whole front end into place and mounting the tires I noticed that I have to now use HPI part #87534. Extra wide 17mm adapters.

The suspension kit changes the geometry to the point where my tires rub on the LST shocks when turned lock to lock and the ball joints that I use (XTM Heavy duty Ball Joints) rub on the inside of the rim from the steering tie rods.
I'm using the IRC full LST mounting kit and I run HPI standard Offset rims with Badlands MT tires.
So no worries, I just need to set the servo throw to limit it but the front end had a lot less slop in the pins than the front and YES, I did grease the bushings from the knuckles.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links