RPM A Arms

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

CdnGator
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

RPM A Arms

Post by CdnGator » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:45 pm

Are the RPM A Arms lighter than stock or aluminium ones? and if so, are they worth the change?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

KNO3
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by KNO3 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:41 pm

Yes, they are lighter than the stock arms, but IMO, only a nessesity if you have a Savage X. The original arms were plenty strong. Notice how RPM started producing Savage arms only after HPI released the X? The new arms have two problems. One, they have considerably less material around the hinge pin area, meaning they are more likely to rip out, and two, they have considerably less material in the central area that gives the arms their rigidity, meaning they will flex more and pull your shocks past their stress limits. RPM uses a different blend of monomers to create a polymer that is both more rigid and stronger than HPI's.
-Evan

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ClaytonSavages
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by ClaytonSavages » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:32 am

yes, they are going to be lighter than aluminum. aluminum is very light but it is still heavier than plastic.
every thing with a flat chassis is a truggy called a 'monster truck'.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sicj
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by sicj » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:30 pm

the main reason RPM made them was not to reduce weight or add regidity it was to take out all the freakin' slop the stock arms have. It's a huge improvement and should be a good enough reason to buy them. Plus they have a lower overall profile wich adds ground clearance.
Savage SS Basher
TLT Custom Tube-Chassis Crawler
Lunch Box
TA05

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CdnGator
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by CdnGator » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:09 pm

I ended up buying a set today. Thanks for the help.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SW5906TSW
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by SW5906TSW » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:51 pm

I just wish they would have put more shock mounting options than the standard one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mothman
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by mothman » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:42 pm

sicj, i read ur post on the savageracer regarding these RPM A-arms. You said they are so rigid. Is it ok if I use CVD with this RPM arms? I have brand new UE CVDs that I plan to use with the RPM arms. But I heard bad news from maxx guys who use RPM arms and CVDs since the arms flex too much. Can you give some advice regarding this?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wanabedriver
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by wanabedriver » Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:57 pm

mothman wrote:sicj, i read ur post on the savageracer regarding these RPM A-arms. You said they are so rigid. Is it ok if I use CVD with this RPM arms? I have brand new UE CVDs that I plan to use with the RPM arms. But I heard bad news from maxx guys who use RPM arms and CVDs since the arms flex too much. Can you give some advice regarding this?

My personal take: I run CVDs with RPM arms in my E-Maxx. Just dont tighten the pillow balls down too far, and you should be fine.

When you compress the suspension so the arms are level, the dogbone end of the CVD should NOT be bottomed out... But that's just my setup.

sicj wrote:the main reason RPM made them was not to reduce weight or add regidity it was to take out all the freakin' slop the stock arms have. It's a huge improvement and should be a good enough reason to buy them. Plus they have a lower overall profile wich adds ground clearance.

I find this statement interesting for my MAXX arms... They actually seem to flex more (which makes them more durable in a sence) than the stock arms. Plus, I hit something with a decent clip, and stretched one of the hinge pin holes... Talk about slop.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

FLMGUY
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by FLMGUY » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:21 pm

I like the aluminum but if the lightest weight possible is what your looking for stick with the rpm's

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links