Scale type nylon cages.

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Re: Scale type nylon cages.

Post by rcaircraftnut » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:46 am

Also pls note that I have not taken the time to fit and finnish the joints. This is just the prototype, sale cages will be a lot better fitted to the truck.
I'm not a Superstar. I cant even drive like one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

J1A1H
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by J1A1H » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:10 am

hmmm im quite surprised you havent got much feedback.... usually people should be all over this?

I am not sure sure about the design? it will be hard making a cage that looks real good and does its job well whilst fitting under a body...

gd start.. .but seems like it need a lot more work? and A LOT OF TESTING!

maybe first test just drop it on its roof from one storey high... you will get peoples attention if that works well

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:57 pm

It isnt finished yet. However I did stand on it last night without any problems. Im going to change a few things today and go test. Just got done putting new bearings in the rear diff about 5 min ago.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

JATDO
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by JATDO » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:33 pm

I like the looks of it so far, but i feel like there should be more protection around the engine head. I just have a feeling that a nasty backflip fail could get a direct hit on the head. All it would need to be is like a bar going across it, avoiding the glow plug area though.
Its looking good though!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:40 am

There are a few parts I have left to make. I ran out of nylon last night. Got some more today. There will be some down tubes over the engine and also the mounting at the TVP was only temparary I came up with a great Idea to mount it. Ill show you when its done. Rest assured I wont let this go out the door like the pics show. I kinda got excited and jumped the gun by a few days. But the concept has proven to be sound. Also let me say this now. If you want absolutely bomb proof go with a MA15T! If you want good protection with not such a hard time fitting bodies and still be able to take a pretty good hit? Go Rage Cage. They were never to be in direct compitition. I was asked to keep the price low. I did. I was asked to make it fit under the stock shell, I did. I was asked to give protection to the vital areas, I did, or well at least with a few hours modding I will have. So I think Im right where I need to be. I just hope you guys eventually agree.  :lol:  :lol:
Im not trying to be mean or anything like that, and please keep the suggestions coming. Most of you were only a few minutes behind me with posting what I was thinking. LOL!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sixOHfour
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by sixOHfour » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:02 am

Heres what I was thinking. Excuse the crude paint editing lol. Bending your front and rear hoops down to protect the shocks from frontal impact would be extremely beneficial. I see 2 potentially weak spots from the main hoop to the front and rear, as the only support they have are the screw that holds them in place. I would put brackets here as a precaution. I know you were going to move the main hoop mount location to the bulks....you need to make some kind of mount for it. I put lines in for a potential roll bar much like a real 1:1 roll bar but I drew the bar in before the bends so you would need to adjust that haha. Also the one big thing that bugs me about this is how close it is to the pipe. Anyone running anything other than stock like a truggy pipe (086 JP-3 etc.) will likely run into problems here. It has potential for sure it just really needs some tweaking before you sell them.
[img]http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww299/magosti86/604-SIG04-01.png[/img]
[b]HPI Savage Flux HP, Axial Exo, Axial SCX10, Axial XR10, Slash 4x4, E-Revo, MSRX[/b]
[url=http://forum.silentdrc.net/silentd_forum/phpBB3/]Silent D Forum[/url] join today!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:49 pm

The lines you drew, almost miiror what the finnished cage will look like. I am going to make the main hoops a bit wider as I was thinking the pipe clearance was a little tight, but wasnt as concerned about it till now. I wasnt thinking bout the larger aftermarket pipes. The mounts will be reinforced at the TVP by bending a 90 deg elbow at the bottom of the hoops and bolting them to the TVP with a steel plate. Using 440 hardware. The screws holding it in the pics are only temporary. I wasnt thinking that it would last. Just wanted to get it mounted till I could think up a better way. And also get some feed back. Thx for the suggestions. I think we are both on the same page here. LOL!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Ok I just made a deal with a friend to make the mounting plates for the Rage Cages. They will be made of a full length TVP reinforcement using the stock component mounting holes and be a totally bolt on affair. 1/8th inch plate aluminum with tubes welded on for the nylon to mount in. First ones should be ready next week sometime. I will keep you posted. This new mounting may change pricing a bit though. Oh and the plates will only go as high as the bottom of the Tranny.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

5AVAG3
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 5AVAG3 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:10 am

What happened to the $50.00 deal....?

:lol:
[b][i]MA1N5T....BASH it without boundaries.[/i][/b][img]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5158/5avagesignature.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1Thz0vqSI]The MA1N5T custom buggy cage in action.[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:13 am

As you said man just cant do it for that. Especially with the mounts Im havin made up.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

5AVAG3
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 5AVAG3 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:29 am

Yeah man....I'm just glad that another human being UNDERSTANDS my PAIN theze dayz.  :lol:
[b][i]MA1N5T....BASH it without boundaries.[/i][/b][img]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5158/5avagesignature.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1Thz0vqSI]The MA1N5T custom buggy cage in action.[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:38 am

Yeah man, I do.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

5AVAG3
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 5AVAG3 » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:25 pm

You have to try and do most of the labor yourself, otherwise it will become even more inefficient.

I just invested in a gas less MIG welder, as ARGON gas is even more expensive (Just hiring a gas bottle it self) especially if you are thinking of TIG welding aluminum.

Being a metal fabricator by trade and have some small metallurgy knowledge.....Soft alloys will not hold up with some of the basher's needs.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Im having the 1st ones made then as they sell Ill invest in my own welder and a plunge cut machine as I plan to offer some TVPs and a radio plate for a mid tank to work with the cage kit. It would have the mounts built into the TVP and be made from the toughest aluminum alloy I can get. The 1st mounts will be ready next week. No real estimate on the TVPs or mid tank kit, but they will be coming soon I hope.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

TunaBait
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by TunaBait » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:10 pm

Rcair also forgot to mention that with the mounting plates and the costum tvps that will already have the mounts in them for the Rage Cage he will be able to have them anodized to match your truck but note this will add to the cost and I think this will just be a option available to you if you want. So basicly he will have something for everyones price range and needs.

OOOOPs I let some of the top secret info out :twisted:

Oh and rcair get ready for the storm bud its just hitting here now and heading your way. Prob ganna lose power tonight. *censored* I wish I wired up the gen. Hey that right bud I NEED YOUR HELP to fix that.
[img]http://i449.photobucket.com/albums/qq217/seabait/iuyjhngfvhggf.png[/img]
Tuna Bait

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Storm is hitting us now. And yeah I didnt mention the anodizing as I have nothing made up to anodize ATM, LOL! But Tuna is 100% correct. I will have the mounts ect anodized for an additionl cost.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

5AVAG3
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 5AVAG3 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:03 am

It's an ambitious venture fellas...But I would never under estimate anybody......So Good luck and I'll keep an eye out on the thread and progress.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

motas
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by motas » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:21 am

We learnt about anodizing in school the other day. It was off a paintball forum its pretty simple and cheap to do yourself its just kinda dangerous since it creates explosive gas and you have to use a battery charger. Ill see if I can find it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

motas
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by motas » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:23 am

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:36 am

Here are some new picks of a more complete cage. Will finish up the side braces in the morning. Remember this is the prototype, so the mounting is just temporary, although I did improve it by leaps and bounds, LOL! The new mounts will be made of heavy grade aluminum with tubes welded on them.
And the body still fits with only removing the rear window and a small bit around the downtubes for the engine protector.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links