Scale type nylon cages.

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Scale type nylon cages.

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:13 am

Just curious as to weather or not there would be any interest in these as I am going to make one soon for my Savy to work with the Grave Digger body shell. The design I have in mind would bolt on and be easily removed for maint. Also I could easily redesign the rear hoops to work with other body styles. If I get enough interest I will make up jigs to mass produce them off of the prototype when its done. More interest means faster progress on this, as if I can sell them I will be more motivated to get to it. Thanks and any and all suggestions will be considered. I want to make these so they will protect the vitals while looking good and being as bulletproof as I can make them. And I want you guys to WANT one, so tell me what you want and lets see what I can do. Thanks.
I'm not a Superstar. I cant even drive like one.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

88gtanotchback
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 88gtanotchback » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:38 am

Kinda stepping on the toes of a member here who started the concept of making these for people, and did all the testing of the material.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xtremesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by xtremesavage » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:24 pm

I dont think its stepping on toe's, I think a competitive market is a buyers market, Almost every product has a similar one that sells cheaper, That will be rcnut's best bet at selling these, The MA1N5T cage is proven to work but last I checked they were $175,
I have intentions of build my own some day, (probably a winter project) I've found the material for $10, So I can afford to mess up 17 cages before I would equal a MA1N5T cage. But if I could get a pre-built nylon cage in the $50 range I would be all over it.

This is the style I'm looking for, (this was built by Donovan a SC member)
[img]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/xtremesavage/newsig.png[/img]
Share knowlegde,,,Dont brag!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

benjamin01986
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by benjamin01986 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:42 pm

Id definately be interested in one, the only thing i noticed i didnt like about the main5t cages is that you cant fit a body without cutting it up. I also run slash bodies on my saveges since i have two slashes it kinda keeps things simple when it comes to bodies. let me know about prices. And as far as stepping on toes, thats crap, thats how it goes, im sure that guy didnt invent nylon and wasnt the first to install a nylon cage on a savage
Hpi Savage
Slash Desert Rat body
Savage XL TVPS
FLM +.5 A arms
Hpi Big Bore Shocks
LRP z.28
2.4 Ghz Spectrum

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Cadimman
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Cadimman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:49 pm

Ya, Al has stated that he doesn't care if people jump on the market as it will better his product as well.

xtreme - that cage looks cool. Only thing I don't like is I don't see any protection for the shocks. That's what made me pay the large for the MA1N5T cage..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

88gtanotchback
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 88gtanotchback » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:06 pm

I guess its different views,  I would think that if a guy makes his cages on a forum to sell, then another guy picks up the same idea, and does it on the same forum....that's toe stepping.  doesnt matter to me anyways i guess, stock cage cuts it for me, so i got no real place here anyways......ill stop stepping on toes i guess... 8)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:32 pm

Not trying to step on toes. Quite the contrary. The cages I am going to make will fit under the body. Protect ALL the vital areas, the engine, the tank, the shocks will be protected as well. More from the side than the front or rear. The point of these is to give guys who want a more scale looking cage an option. If being on the same forum as someone else who makes a similar but still VERY different product is Toe Stepping, I guess Im toe stepping. The only similarity between mine and the other ones will be the Nylon. I am not nor will I ever steal someones design. I realize noone has suggested that I would do that, but I figure someone is thinking it. So I see that the interest is there to some degree. I will have to get busy on this little endevor. As far as custom work goes, if you have something you want done differently after I get the 1st prototype done, we can talk about it, and see. Im not oppsed to the idea of doing custom cages on a case by case basis if this works out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

benjamin01986
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by benjamin01986 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:49 pm

ok you need to hurry up, im ready to get mine
Hpi Savage
Slash Desert Rat body
Savage XL TVPS
FLM +.5 A arms
Hpi Big Bore Shocks
LRP z.28
2.4 Ghz Spectrum

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Just FYI I will try my best to keep the cost down as I know a lot of us are in a bad place financially. LOL! Shooting for a sub $100 price tag. No promises though. It will depend on the time and labor involved.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Nipels
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Nipels » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:17 pm

This is a great idea. Competition is the cornerstone of a healthy market. The more people making a product, the cheaper/better the product will be. I have a Ma1n5t cage that I got for 70 bucks. I lucked out. Now someone who isn't so lucky can have the protection they desire.
Savage X4.6 - Picco .28, Ext IRC Tvps, Mid Tank Mod, MA1N5T Cage, 086 Pipe, M2 Crimefighter Tires, 1/2 Inch Offset Rulux Wheels, HD Axles, BP Diffs, Aluminum Big Bores + MORE!!!

Rustler VXL - 3S 5000 mAh 20C Lipo

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:30 pm

That is the plan. I think I have it all figured out so it will fit under the stock body. And also be only 3 or 4 parts different to make it fit the Digger body. Hope to bet some materials in a week or so. Ill keep you posted. This wont be as simple as most of the ones Ive seen but should protect everything well and look more scale doing it. Wish me luck. Also this will tie the body mounts into the skit plates and also attach to the chassis at at least 4 places. So it should be pretty stout.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:13 am

Guys I have decided to make the first run of these cages to fit the stock type body 1st. I was thinking this will allow more of the RTR guys to get a quick and bulletproof upgrade in protection for their trucks.
ExtreemSavage, if you really want that style of cage then I am willing to attemp making you one. However the 1/2" rod wil cost more as well as the aluminum fab will be cost prohibitive as I dont currently have good access to the tools and the sheets are a little spendy for my taste. Also I would require you get permission for me to copy the design as I will not copy someones work without written authorization 1st. Not worried about being sued, its just the rite way to go about it. Thanks guys, and keep the suggestions and feedback coming. It all serves to make a product for YOU!  :lol:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

5AVAG3
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 5AVAG3 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:31 am

You sound really enthusiastic man. Where were you when we were having the roll cage building competition?

Wish you all the luck......

My experience is that people will want to pay you $50.00 for something that they cannot build themselves in 6 months.....or over the whole Christmas holidays.....Would you give up your Easter weekend for $50.00 bucks?

I myself think it's a fair effort to build one quality cage.....It is a isht load of time invested away from family, friends, recreation, and other enjoyable activities.

Self discipline is the key.....Early morning start, and late night finishes.

Having fun is mandatory.  :D
[b][i]MA1N5T....BASH it without boundaries.[/i][/b][img]http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/5158/5avagesignature.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LG1Thz0vqSI]The MA1N5T custom buggy cage in action.[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:15 am

Just getting started. If this goes well the plan is to make the same basic style of cage to fit as many vehicles as possible. I have no job, I wrecked my motorcycle and am still not healed to 100% after almost a year and a half. So I have no issue with working hard if its something I like doing. And I have a few ideas to speed up production as well as some slaves er um I mean friends that are willing to help out part time. LOL!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:18 am

Also thanks for the post. Its good to know that you are the type to welcome a little cometition in the marketplace. I really dont think the two will be in direct competition though, as your design lends itself more towards the custom guys whereas mine will target the more stock type rigs. I welcome any and all input you have on the subject. And I had no idea there was a cage competition. That would be fun!! :cry:  :oops:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xtremesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by xtremesavage » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Yeah,,,Donovan hasnt posted since July 2008, so getting him on the hook isnt going to happen.

I'm going to make myself a cage this winter,,,,,
[img]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/xtremesavage/newsig.png[/img]
Share knowlegde,,,Dont brag!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:48 pm

I can do something similar, just not wanting to copy it outrite. And if the guy isnt around anymore, then he isnt around anymore.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Gamer702
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Gamer702 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:01 pm

If you build one of these cages I will defiantly buy one. Also it would be good to able to buy it in the states

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcaircraftnut
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rcaircraftnut » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:25 pm

You guys are trying awfull hard to get me to start taking pre orders. LOL! Well you are just going to have to wait till the prototype is done and I get the testing out of the way. I aint about to put out a product without it passing a battery of bashing tests. I plan to find the biggest jumps I can and intentionally land it on its front back top and sides repeatedly. If after that it is still in good shape and the truck is still going, I will start taking orders. I am going to order the nylon for the first prototype this week. Keep the suggestions coming.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

motas
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by motas » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:45 pm

I'd be very interested if you would make one for the body I will buy. No idea which one yet I'm thinking a wrangler, a beetle, a silverado, a muscle car which ive forgotten the name or a road car hacked up to fit. I'm in australia how much do you think postage would be?
Thanks.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links