Vorza/Savage BP diff How to

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

FluxNZ
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Re: Vorza/Savage BP diff How to

Post by FluxNZ » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:01 pm

Yes it will work on the HP. The Vorza cup uses a 8mm by 16mm bearing instead of the 10mm by 16mm bearing which fails offen (done it on my Flux when I checked it).
Savage Flux HP - Mild Mods.
Savage Flux 5SC/5T - Custom built.
HotBodies VE8.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jamesfarrell
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by jamesfarrell » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:31 pm

Guys, I've built 2 of these, exactly as prescribed, but with some aluminum diff cases. Same thing really. But there seems to be a lot of resistance with 30w oil in them. I mean I can turn them with my fingers, but feels a bit tight. No grinding though. I'm trying to think of a way to break them in with a drill or something. The ones in my vehicle already are upgraded gears, but not the bearing, I'm still using the weak bearing. I'm using 1/5 scale TCS buggy type chassis, have about 10+ 6s packs through the *censored* and no issues yet. So these are my backup diffs.
My band. FeDeRaL HoG

http://www.reverbnation.com/federalhog

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

electricnitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by electricnitro » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Back in 2009 I stuck some ofna LX1 diffs in my savage. Have over 2 gallons on them without a fault. They also have plastic diff cups and the larger bearing. :D I'm getting back into the RC world after a 3 year break. :lol:  I might give this mod a shot on my hellfire.
NEWS FLASH: Every time you stop your engine..... please make sure the piston is at the bottom of the stroke. It will add life to your engine, by keeping the pinch of the sleeve good. NEWS FLASH

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BIRDMAN1622
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by BIRDMAN1622 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:37 am

I've had problems with the vorza diffs seizing up due to the diff cup housing cross pin slot wearing out.. My fault Partially due to landing with power applied..

I've been experimenting with using the aluminum diff cup with the Vorza Spider 8101-1 gear kit.. The trick is you have  shim it by stacking  two or three diff cup gaskets so the diff will spin correctly..  So far it's been working for me...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BIRDMAN1622
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by BIRDMAN1622 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:41 am

Oh yeah and the bearing issue I've found that by upgrading to an aluminum bulkhead provides much more support and increased bearing life for that large bearing. Here's the Bulkhead I went with....  Kind of Spendy but worth it...

http://www.fastlanemachine.net/proddeta ... 010&cat=29

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BlackwoodXXL
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by BlackwoodXXL » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:13 am

This is the first time I'm doing this mod, I have most of parts needed except for this part, HPI86599.  It seems its
a discontinued part, would I be able to use these gaskets instead, HPI86099.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

fr8cture
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by fr8cture » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:10 am

Well I was gonna do this but it look like the HB gears are discontinued...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tllblndboi
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tllblndboi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:55 pm

I am trying to do this mod as well. Will these work for the bevel gears LLkool? http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetails. ... 7AodXAgAow

I found a diff cup & Bevel shafts. but I am not 100% on these tho.

Btw my 5b Savvy Flux has come a long way since we spoke last.
Alza 5b/Savage Flux, CD kit, Toro Ex 200a w/ Castle 1717, LST shocks, 6 point slider shafts, RPM Arms all around, Integy fixed HD rear hubs

3908 Emaxx, SC8 Waterproof ESC w/ Tork 2200kv, Savox SW-0231mg, RPM Arms, Shock towers, Bulkheads and braces.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Yeah man those are the correct HB gears but if you want stronger than that grab some of these

P/N SSAV1200BK

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00DUPZNK ... 40-4930059
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tllblndboi
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tllblndboi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Sweet! Thanks man! That solves me having to order the bevel shafts separately. I am planning one going with this diff cup,

http://www.thercshack.com/hbc8019hotbod ... eries.aspx

Because the all plastic diff cup Vorza is discontinued, I am not sure if the Trophy diff cup will work, & it looks like the one in the link has steel pressed in at the bearing housing.

What are in diif, gears & oil you running in the rear diff of that Twin motor Savvy of yours?
Alza 5b/Savage Flux, CD kit, Toro Ex 200a w/ Castle 1717, LST shocks, 6 point slider shafts, RPM Arms all around, Integy fixed HD rear hubs

3908 Emaxx, SC8 Waterproof ESC w/ Tork 2200kv, Savox SW-0231mg, RPM Arms, Shock towers, Bulkheads and braces.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tllblndboi
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tllblndboi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Do the GPM Shafts need to be filed down like the HB ones? Also, do you have a diff cup you would recommend instead of the one I linked? I want to build a diff that can hold up to the power I am running. I sheared the rear diff yesterday messing around at my LHS on 5s @ 35-40% throttle. I am also ordering a set of 5b front tires for the rear. You were right, the 5b rears are just too heavy.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tllblndboi
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tllblndboi » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Sorry for all the short replies, questions keep popping up in my head after I hit the submit button. Do you run any alum bulks at all (Fast Lane, Gold Horizons, ect)? if so, which would you recommend? Do they really help at all, or are they more for bling?

Now that is all the questions I got, for now.

Thanks again for the info.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:30 pm

The vorza cups is the same as the D8, that steel insert is supposed to be there. No the gpm shafts do not need to be fined down. The HB ones do not either only the savage ones do cause there not made for the cup lol. I run the Alza bulk braces on my twin as of now but have not tested the new truck. Before all my runs and crashes were with stock flux bulks. If I was to order some alloy bulks it would be the FLM hybrid for the XL.

In my twin for the old setup I ran a vorza center diff with a maximizer locker in it. The rear diff was a vorza/bp diff( stock 29t ring and pinion and vorza housing with HB steel bevel gears with 1000wt) now it is using the gpm steel bevels with 500,000wt oil  

Baja wheels are heavy and as you see they tear stuff up.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tllblndboi
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tllblndboi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:58 pm

Yeah, I am starting to see that. What tires & wheels you think I should run on the 5b Savvy Flux for general on/off road use? I was thinking about getting some IMEX Jhawgs or Road Dawgs. I was debating on HPI Phatlines but I am not sure if they are big enough for my set up.

I will be ordering The diff cup & GPM Bevel set shortly.

What brand of diff oil do you use? Or does it not really matter when it comes to brand?

What weight are you running in the CD? I am running 100k in a Mugen X5 48t Delrin Spur.

The FLM Hybrid Bulks are the ones that use the stock BP Diffs correct? Because I am seriously debating on getting that bulk for the rear.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tllblndboi
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tllblndboi » Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:19 pm

Have you tried this Ring & Pinion?

http://www.asiatees.com/display?HPI-Sav ... L&id=61196

I cant tell if it is a 29t ring like the stock BP diff ring. But if the Bevel gears are good like you say, I was thinking about trying this out too, for $11 bucks I think it might be worth a shot.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Don't waste your time with that ring and pinion it's a 43/13 and crap. I use team associated diff oil or mugen. I run 500k in my center diff it makes it act like stock with no unloading. Also for 1/5 wheels I'd try some trenchers (not trencher x) but glued super crazy. Badlands would be great too.

The FLM bulks to fit the bp diffs but you need to use the FLM diff cups tho

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tllblndboi
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tllblndboi » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:09 am

Alright. Thanks! When you say Trenchers or Badlands, do you mean 40 series, 3.8s or actual 5b tires? Because I am not opposed to going to a 17mm hex and 1/8 scale MT tires.

Yeah I remember reading that about the FLM Bulks somewhere.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:07 am

Yes the 40 series trenchers and 3.8 badlands. IMO the trencher X's are to wide and it's already a heavy enough wheel as is.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tllblndboi
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tllblndboi » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:36 pm

I might end up trying the Trencher X's in the rear & 40 series Trenchers up front because I really like the 5b wheel look (Wide in rear & Narrow up front) and would like to try and keep that look going.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Tllblndboi
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Tllblndboi » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:55 pm

Where can I get some of the shims the sit under the bevel gear? or do they come with the GPM Internal gear set? I also got some of the Alum Diff Gaskets on the way as well. I was looking back at the complete write up I was somewhat confused at one thing....

Step 6
Assembling the Ring gear

This is also done the same way for evey diff
BUT I used the reusable HPI aluminum diff gasket
For shimming I use 3 shims but again you maybe be different
There is rumor out there that you need to use multipule gaskets to make this work. Well Im here to assure thats not true. This is the stock set up for the HPI Vorza minus the ring and pinion.

When you are talking about 3 shims, what kind of shims are you talking about & where do they get installed? Were you talking about the bearing shims? 2 on one side & 1 on the other? And I only need to use 1 alum gasket per diff correct?

The HBC8019 Diff cups are on the way, I could only find Traxxas 500k diff oil, I am gonna be waiting the longest for the alum gaskets & GPM Bevel gears.....

I just took the rear end apart & found that the rear diff wasnt sheared. Just not shimmed properly, it was shifting out of perfect mesh under high throttle. But I am still gonna rebuild it with the GPM internals, shim properly, ect... Before I put it back together & run it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links