Part# list for Flux 5SC center diff

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

kpturbo
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Re: Part# list for Flux 5SC center diff

Post by kpturbo » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:06 pm

[quote="Ascender";p="854926"]The B032 is for the diff cup bearing, it seats in the front outdrive bearing insert on the case, with the smaller bearing on the shaft itself. The manual lays it out on the exploded view.[/quote]Found the problem. In the exploded view of the transmission the bearing B032 is not there, but if I look at only the CD parts view the B032 is there. The manual is wrong:(
But thanks anyway, I have already ordered all the parts from Tower..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CarFanatic
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by CarFanatic » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:40 pm

so this is a bolt in set up to run a center diff?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kpturbo
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by kpturbo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:13 pm

Ascender have done it and im going to soon. The transmission housing is the same on the savage and 5SC so it should work. I dont know if I have to change all the gears in the trans but when I get the parts I will let you know :wink:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ascender
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Ascender » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:09 pm

[quote="kpturbo";p="855038"]Ascender have done it and im going to soon. The transmission housing is the same on the savage and 5SC so it should work. I dont know if I have to change all the gears in the trans but when I get the parts I will let you know :wink:[/quote]

To come out with about the same overall transmission gear ratio, you do have to change all the gears. You COULD leave the top drive and idler and play with spur/pinion combos, I think, but I'm not sure how drastic the change is.

The diff and lower drive gear will even fit in a nitro two or three-speed, but again, not sure how whacky the spur/CB ratio would have to be to get it to work right.
[align=center][b]Black Cat II - Unleashed[/b]

[img]http://gonneville.smugmug.com/Hobbies/RC/Black-Cat-II/i-jPHSnrZ/0/O/IMAG0293-sig2.jpg[/img][/align]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ascender
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Ascender » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:23 pm

BTW, I'm starting with 300,000wt in the center, 50k front, 30k rear. If it's too stiff, I'll drop down to 200,000 in the center.

[img]http://gonneville.smugmug.com/Hobbies/RC/Black-Cat-II/i-jPHSnrZ/0/O/IMAG0293-sig2.jpg[/img][/align]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CarFanatic
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by CarFanatic » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:33 am

so the parts you listed above is everything you need to complete the build?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ascender
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Ascender » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:33 pm

[quote="CarFanatic";p="855091"]so the parts you listed above is everything you need to complete the build?[/quote]

Other than the normal differential cup, gears, and washers, yes.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CarFanatic
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by CarFanatic » Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:05 am

everything you listed seems to be gears,  where is the actual diff?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

RockyM
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by RockyM » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:08 am

Ascender, where did you find 106283 , DIFF CASE HUB 6x32x6.5mm ?
I haven't seen any shop  which has this part available.
Ciao Axel

[color=orangered]More pics are here --->[/color] [url=http://www.picturetrail.com/rockym][color=orangered]My pics[/color][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kpturbo
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by kpturbo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:24 pm

You guys need to read the WHOLE thread, also page 1.. :roll:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

kpturbo
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by kpturbo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:31 pm

Ok lets talk ratio here. Since im still waiting for all the transmission parts from the 5SC to get here I have been thinking about the ratio difference between the 5SC and the savage transmission. And I have now found the different combos on the spur and pinion.
As some of you know the 5sc is bigger and have bigger wheels then the savage but it still use the same motor and ECS as the savage. But it is also 20mph slower . So to use the same motor/ECS as the savage, HPI has made a different ratio on the spur/pinion and transmission so things dont go up in flames. The biggest ratio difference is the spur/pinion 52/13 (4.00) on the 5SC while the savage has 44/20 (2.2) and also the transmission, 1.887 on the 5SC and 2.215 on the savage. Both cars have the same front and rear diff 3.222.
That make a total of:
24.3 ratio on the 5SC.
15.7 ratio on the savage.
So if you are going to use a 5SC trans with the centerdiff on the savage you need a change the spur/pinion so you dont mess up the nice performance of the great savage :wink:
So I have figured out the alternatives:
1: If you going change all the gears in the transmission to the 5SC gear but you want to use the

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ascender
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Ascender » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:36 pm

YE GODS! I just finished a quick tuning run on blacktop here at a truckstop in Normal, IL... My truck shouldn't be here, there's nothing normal about it...

First off, I found out why I was breaking so many differential pins. It turns out the Hobbywing EZRun 150A Pro ESC I have in my CFluXL has an odd setup on punch control. It has nine preset levels, rather than a percentage selection like the MMM, and the levels are BACKWARDS. Instead of level 9 being the most restrictive punch control setting, it's actually the highest starting power. So when I set it to level 7, it just POURED burst current into the motor and shattered the diff pins like glass. Well, I reset it to level 2, just short of the lowest starting power, and took the timing down from 11* to 7.5*, and everything is now hunky-dory.

Now, for what everybody is waiting for!

Initial impressions with the center diff:
My starting fluid set-up is 50k/300k/30k, front/center/rear.

The truck is definitely more controllable on pavement, with much less tendency to roll in sharp cornering. It will still wheelie on demand, but that's also more controllable. Instead of just flying up and blowing over on the roof, the front comes up gradually and the wheelie is easily controlled. I rode one for almost fifty feet without really trying, the most I could do in the space available.

There is still a slight tendency to torque-steer left, but it's less than it was before. I'm tempted to flip the diffs and change the motor rotation, to see if it counters that. Under heavy acceleration, you can definitely see that the fronts are ballooning more than the rear. Oddly, instead of getting squirrelly as the fronts lose grip, the truck actually steadies itself, almost like a "dig" setup on a crawler, pulling the front end slightly harder than the rear. Holding onto the rear bumper and applying throttle produces equal wheel-spin at all four corners, as it should.

One note on fluid: If you try this set-up, I'd stay with at least 200k unless you're racing on a track and need it for performance reasons. Any lower, and you'll definitely have major ballooning issues with your front tires, to the point where you could easily blow them right off under hard acceleration.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

carmaster65
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by carmaster65 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:40 am

Do all the gears have to be switched out since the tooth count is different? Can a center diff just be dropped into a flux or nitro trans? I'm ok with changing spur and clutch bell/pinions as I have a few.

Just wondering if the gear mesh is messed up, the idler gear in the X SS, X 4.6 and Flux is 29t and the super 5SC and XL 3spd is 30t. Looks like for the 3spd its a bolt in. Does one tooth in the others make a difference?

Is 106273 the hub and gear or just the gear?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

carmaster65
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by carmaster65 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:59 pm

I found all the parts at R/C Planet and placed an order, going to be an expensive diff. I opted to buy part  hpi106273 at Tower Hobbies because the description states it is the gear, hub, gasket and hardware. Other places just mention the gear.

I have a flux tranny and a 3spd to try it in. If it works as a drop in for the flux that is where its going, if not I'll put it in the 3spd and build a flux tranny and another diff.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Ascender
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Ascender » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Let me know if the diff fits with the 3spd idler. The tooth count is the same, but I have this suspicion that the spacing along the shaft might be slightly different.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

carmaster65
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by carmaster65 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:44 pm

[quote="Ascender";p="859668"]Let me know if the diff fits with the 3spd idler. The tooth count is the same, but I have this suspicion that the spacing along the shaft might be slightly different.[/quote]

Got all my parts in, should have it together in the next day or so.

To get yours in you built the diff and swapped to idler gear 106271 and that was it? It all just fit together? I'll be trying it on a flux tranny first since its out of the truck.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Djeap
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Djeap » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:23 pm

[quote="carmaster65";p="859829"][quote="Ascender";p="859668"]Let me know if the diff fits with the 3spd idler. The tooth count is the same, but I have this suspicion that the spacing along the shaft might be slightly different.[/quote]

To get yours in you built the diff and swapped to idler gear 106271 and that was it? It all just fit together? I'll be trying it on a flux tranny first since its out of the truck.[/quote]

Looking forward to seeing more of this come together. Once my tranny gives in this will be the way I'll go with my truck too. Please post some progress updates and pictures if you have a chance. Only way to learn is to copy from others... ;)

Thanks
Everything is in a state of Savage Flux, including the status quo... :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

carmaster65
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by carmaster65 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:45 pm

[quote="Djeap";p="859906"][quote="carmaster65";p="859829"][quote="Ascender";p="859668"]Let me know if the diff fits with the 3spd idler. The tooth count is the same, but I have this suspicion that the spacing along the shaft might be slightly different.[/quote]

To get yours in you built the diff and swapped to idler gear 106271 and that was it? It all just fit together? I'll be trying it on a flux tranny first since its out of the truck.[/quote]

Looking forward to seeing more of this come together. Once my tranny gives in this will be the way I'll go with my truck too. Please post some progress updates and pictures if you have a chance. Only way to learn is to copy from others... ;)

Thanks[/quote]

For sure I will update my findings. This website has been a big help to me with building my Savages.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

carmaster65
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by carmaster65 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:36 am

Here are pictures of my diff build. Idler gear Hpi 106271 (for the Flux) is on it's way and may not be here until next week. If I can find time to tear down my 3spd I'll see if the diff fits.

Parts used to build the center diff were:
HPI 106273 Racing Idler Gear 30Tx1M
HPI 106277 Diff Shaft Set
HPI 87193 4 Bevel Gear Diff Conv Set
HPI 86827 Alloy Diff Case Savage X SS

parts and instructions laid out. more than the parts list shown.

parts list, instructions and diff oil. I used 50,000 to start with.

diff cup with gears sitting for a minute to let some bubbles out. I slowly turn the gears to let the oil get in everywhere. I don't fill my diffs all the way, no oil squeezes out when the crown gear is put on.

diff assembled ready to install the gear. I always use hex hardware, hpi included it with the gear (diff case came with philips head).

ready for installation. I will be using the drive cups from the stock flux tranny. few extra parts for the spares box.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Synk
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Synk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:40 am

Here is a vote towards seeing it in the 3 speed. Ive been interested since the super sc was announced.
savage x ss Lrp zr.30, octane cage and mod radio box, ofna mid tank 250cc, integy saver front/rear hubs, sv250 mod 3 spd, no mix arm throttle, hitec 5645 5625 servos, 4xbb 4xstd shocks w/35wt, flux drivetrain, 30k wt diff oil,  new era wing, tonys screws

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links