The best thing you can buy for your Savage, bar none..

Questions about Hop Ups for the Savage.

Moderator: Moderators

dragonbat13
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

The best thing you can buy for your Savage, bar none..

Post by dragonbat13 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:53 pm

No matter what, hands down, this is the best two hundred dollars you can spend on your truck.  Forget about doing a major mod without these things.  I got everything at Lowes.  I didnt just get it recently, but I know it was right at 200.  That includes the dremel.

Also, you can move the press around.  So it doesnt require as much room as one would think.  Although I am going to bolt it down to that chest of drawers I found in the trash. Thats right, my second bench, and parts container is something I got for free off the side of the road.

(The airplane plans are Nick Z.  P-40 Warhawk plans,  plane is way too big for me to build any time soon)

Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:41 pm

Nice, I've been thinkin about gettin me one as well. Or a mini CNC idk yet
[img]http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h358/LLkoolskillet2/skillet1.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dragonbat13
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by dragonbat13 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 pm

I think a CNC would be a nice second or third tool like this.  The only reason is because its so easy to set up for a simple hole.  I would think a CNC would take alot of time to set up, just for one hole.  But I have never used a CNC either so I really would know for sure, just sayin.
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:30 am

i put a micro cnc mill at the top. ive got access to one (friend and i are starting a business machining small parts, along with powder coating, anodizing and polishing) and it works so well. when you want something small and basic it doesnt take too long. 2d drawings dont take too long to make once you get the hang of the cad program, and getting it to the point of cutting isnt so hard either. we have done custom 2d projects in a matter of an hour. 3d is another story, the drawings are far more complex, converting it to a tool path isnt near as easy, and cutting takes a long time. and if you want ot make one hole, bolt the vice onto the table, jog the table over and drill a hole, its quite simple.

i put a lathe as a close second. i myself have a micro lathe, i use the thing all the time for r/c. ive built flywheels, modified spur gear hubs, built spacers, body posts, steering posts, tons of stuff. its really one of those tools i cant do without now that i have it. i could actually do without the mill, i can cut and file chunks of aluminum into things, and i can do it fairly well. when it comes to round stuff, just gotta have a lathe to do it correctly.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

borneoben
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by borneoben » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:52 am

Dremel is one of my favorites, i use it all the time.

I have the Lithium cordless version.

Standard battery drill / driver for working on my Savage is also a godsend.
Must have a good adjustable clutch though. I have converted mine to run off a 3s lipo when the main battery is dead.

But the no 1 thing you must have for anything RC related is Common Sense!!

I try to use it as much as possible but it doesn't always work out!

Ben

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

borneoben
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by borneoben » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:55 am

I also think that it wont be long until 3D printers are common in every RC workshop.

The potential is huge for us RC folk.

But i ondt think they are quite ready for the masses yet, another 12 months though and they will be very close i reckon.

Ben

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dodgedude
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by dodgedude » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:52 am

@sharkey,

Where would a guy find a micro lathe? And what mini CBC are you using. I've yet to find what I'm looking for with CBC attachments for a drill press
[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/Dodgedude780/avatar-1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_93901_-_start_-_0.html]Big Blue[/url]......Soon.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

borneoben
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by borneoben » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:56 am

Sherline do a nice range of micro mills and lathes

and i believe they have CNC upgrade packages for most of them.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dragonbat13
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by dragonbat13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:51 am

What does all the CNC machines cost?
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bifftit
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bifftit » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 am

a cnc machine gonna use 240V or are there 110V one out there?
2007 HD Ultraclassic +trailor...2000 UMC groundpounder 113ci...2008 HD 1200C (wifeys ride)

SavageXL-Novarossi 28 or Lrp32
SavageX-Picco 28 or OS 30VG...
Flux HP-tekin T8/RX8
Oh, and Orange Crush!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nitronly
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by nitronly » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:16 am

You guys are lucky to have shops with lathe, drill press, cnc etc.
All I have is a dremmel and a $40 cordless drill.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dragonbat13
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by dragonbat13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:05 am

[quote="nitronly";p="856887"]You guys are lucky to have shops with lathe, drill press, cnc etc.
All I have is a dremmel and a $40 cordless drill.[/quote]

I always thought that also.  But then I got the drill press for around 120 and the bits for another 20.  So that would actually be about 150, which is the same cost as a few mods out there.  But for what you get its great.  And lack of room isnt a problem either.  I would keep mine on the kitchen floor and use it on the living room coffee table till I got the junk chest of drawers.  I live in a 16 x 70 Mobile home.
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:33 am

I work in a full on aircraft sheet metal shop, with a full on machine shop. But the funny thing is even tho I have all these great tools to work with. I normally do all my modding at home with a dremel, 12v cordless, and a leatherman multi tool. Sometimes it's just easier for me to use what I have at home instead of bringing it to work. I'm very impatient and I have almost mastered the backyard mechanic certification lol

I found a small mini CNC machine off amazon for under $200 just need 2 or 3 motors depending on if you want it to do 2D or 3D. All in all I think the total cost for it is under $500. Not bad for what you can make with it. The mini lathe are also super nice, but I won't get one until after I transfer I have 3 big ones at work.

My number one tool for the RC is hands down the cordless drill. The first two years I didn't have one. Man that sucked.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dragonbat13
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by dragonbat13 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:16 am

Dude, go slap one of those drill presses above in your kitchen!  That and one of those cheap mill vises (I gottta get one) would be enough to blow your building to another level.  I mean, whats wrong with having that drill press next to your CNC? :wink:
Mark

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

LLkoolskillet
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by LLkoolskillet » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:15 pm

Haha I know right but the wife would kill me if I put them in the kitchen lol

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xtremesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by xtremesavage » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:06 pm

You can use your drill press as a hand mill,,
just need milling bits,,and x-y vise,,,I got my vise at a swap meet for $15.

[youtube]
[/youtube]
[img]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/xtremesavage/newsig.png[/img]
Share knowlegde,,,Dont brag!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Sharkey_t
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Sharkey_t » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 pm

the machines we are using are made by Taig. they have several options for both milling and turning. you can have a basic lathe for around $300, cheaper if you want to assemble it and get your own drive motor. i opted for the power feed version, and it was worth it for the extra money. with all the tooling and extras ive got im into it for around $600. the mill is another story. you can get the basic manual milling machine for around $950. you can step up to a cnc ready mill for a little more (still requires the cnc control parts), or a full ready to go out of the crate cnc micro mill is right around $2500. and yes, these are all 110 volt machines.

we did consider the sherline machines when we purchased our equipment. our research found that the accuracy and repeatability of a taig mill is far better than a sherline. the sherline does have more after market options, there is upgrade tables to make the mill larger, however a micro mill isnt really intended to do that with and you start losing accuracy. since we got the mill in august its logged around 900 hours in cutting time, i pulled it apart for matinance a couple weeks ago and it still looked like new.

with cnc the software is the expensive part. there are 3 pieces of software you need to go from an idea to a finished piece. you need a 3d drawing program (autocad, rhino 3d, etc) to draw what you want, you need a cam program to convert the drawing into a tool path (sometimes this can be an add on for the drawing program), and then you load that into a machining program (such as mach 3, comes with the taig full cnc machine) that actually runs the mill. 3d drawing programs can be anywhere from free to tens of thousands of dollars, depending on the intended use of them.

as for an xy vise for a drillpress, it does work if you need to do some changes to small things. the biggest issues are the accuracy and spindle speed. our max spindle speed on our mill is 10,600rpm, and for the small cutters we run (usually 1/8", however run 5/16" at the same rpm) its actually not high enough. a drill press will go around 3500rpm at top speed. the other thing is a drill press just doesnt have the accuracy a mill does, they just arent built strong enough for milling. dont get me wrong, itll get the job done, but not near as accurately or quickly as a mill.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

xtremesavage
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by xtremesavage » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:46 pm

[quote="Sharkey_t";p="856998"]  the other thing is a drill press just doesnt have the accuracy a mill does, they just arent built strong enough for milling. dont get me wrong, itll get the job done, but not near as accurately or quickly as a mill.[/quote]

Very true,,great point.
It would be for small jobs or repairs...
[img]http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n403/xtremesavage/newsig.png[/img]
Share knowlegde,,,Dont brag!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BIRDMAN1622
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by BIRDMAN1622 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:24 am

The best tool that I bought for my Savage and other RC stuff is this Bosch Cordless Driver

They have a really low torque setting so you won't strip out threads and stuff...  

Also A good set of Allen Driver bits.. I've tried Snap-on, MAC, Matco but they don't work as well as these cheapies  Made by Dynamite....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

s2022
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by s2022 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:35 pm

Whatever tool you get,  and use fully its gonna be appreciated.  Nevertheless a Mill is a very useful piece of equipment,  so is a lathe,  but definitely at a price.
I personally got a sherline Mill cnc ready,  and added steeper motors and drivers from keling. I can tell you making parts is a breeze.  Chose the sherline because I need to ship internationally and weight wise is good. I can't comment on production as I just use it to make parts for myself,  and had been working beautifully.
But note you can spend on accessories more than the Mill itself.
Another note a Mill can be used as a lathe,  check my signature how I turned the inside beating seats using an internal lathe tool.

As for software I use mach3 to operate the cnc Mill, getting pretty good with g code (the language code to operate the cnc Mill) for basic parts that's all you need.  For more complex pieces have a friend with visualmill who helps out,  but unless you need lots of curves,  all else can be done on mach3 using g code.

If anyone needs some opinion or additional info,  just ask,  I'll try to help with my humble experience in this regard,  remember I'm a hobby guy and even have my Mill in my kitchen.
[color=blue]Regards
RCS2022[/color]
[color=blue][i][url=http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=93732]Savage Flux XL; Mamba XL2; 1717; Custom CD; Mech Brakes[/url][/i][/color]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links