Gearing setup with 2.2 big joe 2's

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI Savage XS Flux Brushless Electric Vehicle.
pick
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Gearing setup with 2.2 big joe 2's

Post by pick » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:08 am

I ordered the 2.2 big joes and I'm wondering if I need to gear down my truck. I see a lot of people gearing down with the badlands but not much about the joes. I'm running a 28 tooth pinion and 56/32 idler. Plan on doing some speed runs but mainly bashing. Running the 2.2 geolanders currently.
Last edited by pick on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

scrogg
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by scrogg » Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:36 am

I think it will be fine. How did it turn out? Did you change the gearing?
Old nitro junkie with a Flux xs

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pick
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by pick » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:33 pm

Still waiting on the tires. Bought them off eBay a week ago and the guy shipped them Friday. Probably won't have a chance to mess with them till the weekend though.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pick
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by pick » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:14 pm

So I got the wheels in and installed. I also had a chance to run the truck a bit. Just some speed runs down the road and running threw the grass a bit. After about 10 mins the truck shuts off. The motor and battery cable are extremely hot. The motor has never been so hot it burns me to the touch. So I unplugged everything and let it cool down for the night. I was using a cheap 2s eBay special vortex lipo battery so I assumed that could have been the issue since the big joes weren't much bigger than the geolanders. I took it out again today with a 2s gen ace battery. I was able to run the whole pack without it shutting down. I'd check the motor by touch every few mins. It was hotter than normal but not hot enought to burn me till the pack was dead. Once again the motor and battery connectors were extremely hot. I Guess I can rule out the battery being the problem and swap the 56 tooth idler gear for the 60 tooth. What do you guys think? Anyone running the joes 2.2 with the stock motor/esc/ and gearing 28/56?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links