Silent D's Savage XS Flux

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI Savage XS Flux Brushless Electric Vehicle.
cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Re: Silent D's Savage XS Flux

Post by cdziak » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:31 pm

thanks. I also like that these wheels come with aluminum washers instead of the plastic ones the truck comes with for the mini warlocks.

I have a set of the HPI mesh wheels in white as well:
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:17 pm

XS Flux on 3S boys!
[youtube]
[/youtube]
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

matt889
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by matt889 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:37 pm

Sup Silent D, I just watched your video, have you ever ran your Savage XS on 2 cell? I have a question - If you have ran it on 2 cell, you probably agree with me that its a insane little truck even on 2 cell, now in this video you spend more time running around to flip the truck back on its wheels than you do enjoying it, and on top of that youonly run it at 25% throttle, 50% max, so.. If you have NOT tried it on 2 cell I implore you to do so and report back your results, because with 2 cell you can run it at 50-75% throttle and do drifts all around your driveway and grass, plenty enough power for anything you'd want I would think.

From my perspective, I watched your video and said in my mind: "*censored*.. Thats just dumb you cannot even control it, no point in going to 3 cell when 2 cell is just as fast (considering you can only use 25-50% throttle) and much more manageable due to not pulling wheelies every 1/2 sec so you can't even steer..

Thoughts?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Matt, I absolutely enjoy this truck. Check out my youtube channel for my other XS vid. That one's on 2S. To be honest, I haven't ran this truck for a couple of weeks because I've been running other RCs. You'll notice by the end of the video it's more "under control". Considering this is a 3 minute vid, it's not about having a blast with the truck for 40 minutes, as much as it was a demonstration of 3S power in this little beast.

You have to gradually pull the trigger back man, you can't just take off with a full pull or be slightly rolling and bury it. You can get up to full throttle and let me tell you, you need a long run to do it because it's flying at that end. The control is the challenge for me and enjoy that. Also, this truck is running 8 shocks. I'm still tuning the ride and getting used to stiffer suspension and harder compound tires. These all combined with the fact that it was 40* outside make for a fun outing, at least to me anyway.

2S in this truck to me (and only to me, my opinion) is tame & boring. It is like running 4S in my Flux HP-XL.

I've been in and out of the RC scene since 1989 man (currently 33 in my collection), I've had more fun in the past 2 years with RC than I had in the previous 20. Technology has changed this hobby for the better beyond a doubt. I'm a speed freak man, control is an illusion regardless. I can't say it enough, this is enjoyment for me and flipping the truck over is part of RC and bashing. It's like NASCAR, if there were no wrecks, no one would watch.
Thats just dumb you cannot even control it, no point in going to 3 cell when 2 cell is just as fast
No where near close to just as fast.

And also, that massive cartwheel in the beginning landed on all 4. I drove away from that, there's no edit in that one. Also, I'm laughing in the video everytime. If that's not enjoying it, I don't know what is. Sorry it's not enjoyment for you dude, but I have a blast with my RCs.
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:22 pm

Dude, if you flip, roll over, crash land, hit a tree, slam into an immovable object, etc while BASHING, do you complain about how many times you had to flip the truck back over? FLUX NO! You grin from ear to ear while you flip the truck back over. In this case you keep grinning because it's a Savage and you know you more than likely didn't break anything.
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

matt889
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by matt889 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:29 pm

i love my XS more than any other RC I've owned and have been in the hobby off and on for about 10 years, just seems insane to try to drive the truck that quick, but I see your short-falls on that your getting used to 2 shocks etc, and yea, I am not worried about anything breaking in my XS either except for the *censored* ESC which seems to have gone up on me in a mysterious way, keep on FLUXIN, perhaps I'll try 3 cell one day just to... try it insane like you lol.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:45 pm

Traxxas Wheelie Bar mod:
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rokie1432
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by rokie1432 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:04 pm

what brackets or method did you use to mount the wheelie  bar to the skid?..
Sav X - Picco.28; 086; FLM, BPs, RPM, BBs, Bashcat Braces, Hitec 7954SH, 5645MG, MA1N5T.

[img]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t69/EggbertPhotos/RCvehicles/SpeedyEggbertSig.gif[/img] *Artwork@Eggbert.Creations*

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:19 pm

Nothing but the stock traxxas 1/16 kit was used.  I opted for larger dia. & longer screws for the bottom portion with nyloc nuts. They clear the rear lower tie bar. With our weather here, I'm not sure when I'll get to test it, but I will video it. lol.
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:12 pm

The wheelie bar works...this was before the axle swap. Sorry its real short. The snow was packing into the lid and the MMP isn't waterproof. I didn't take any chances. It survived.
[youtube]
[/youtube]
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:52 pm

better weather test. works great
[youtube]
[/youtube]
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

braco
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by braco » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:59 pm

The videos are cool! Great job on the wheelie bar mod! Looks like it really does the trick. Sick truck.  8)
[b][url=http://forum.silentdrc.net/silentd_forum/phpBB3/]Silent D RC[/url][/b] Join us!
[img]http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk185/braco_2008/BRACO-SIG08-06bb.png[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Mod compilation slideshow
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jeb_
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by jeb_ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:05 pm

cdziak, great looking truck!

Just had a quick question for you. This is my first electric and I want to use my Spektrum radio with it. I also have an SR300 receiver and was wondering where I should plug in the lead that comes from the fan. Thanks and sorry for the noob question.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Hey man, thanks.

You should be able to plug the fan lead into the AUX channel on the SR300.  You may have to play with the TX for the channel settings to ensure "power on".
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jeb_
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by jeb_ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:33 pm

Great, thanks for the info. Just waiting for my battery and charger to get here!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

wyumez
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by wyumez » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:01 am

Have you found the wheelie bar to be more of a hindrance than a benefit when bashing?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:51 am

When I'm not doing speed runs I put it in the highest position.  That allows me to do back flips and simply beat the heck out of this little beast.
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

nitronly
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by nitronly » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:34 am

What 5000 mah lipo are you using. I think it was a member here that said no hardcase lipo would fit unless it had a very low mah rating. I'm running a 3800 mah hardcase right now as it was all my lhs had that would fit  and you can't send lipos through the mail anymore. I tried to order one from hobbypartz and they had to refund my money. They said there was a new law prohibiting lipos from being mailed.
I use the spektrum sr300 rx and I just keep the 3 inch antenna inside the rx box and it works well with no antenna tube.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cdziak
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by cdziak » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 pm

I just received lipos from Hobby parts end of last month.  And on Monday (October 1) I received a lipo order from Hobbyking.  I will investigate this lipo mailing law.  Is it maybe only not allowed through the post office?  This "law" is going to hurt a lot of online retailers.

I run a Venom 5000mah 3S 35C softcase in my XS.  I haven't found 3S hardcases very often.  Honestly, the batter is pretty well protected in the XS.  I have some Turnigy (Hobbyking) 2S hard case packs that do fit, but they have to be the kind where the wires come out of the side of the pack, not the top.  Or you can use a venom or gens ace that has the leads coming from the the top on the left corner.

My 3S pack fits WITHOUT modification to the battery compartment or door.

I have no issues with Spektrum rx.  I currently run 18 SR300 & SR200.
75 RCs and counting...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links