Tires- What are you guys all running?

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI Savage XS Flux Brushless Electric Vehicle.
SavageBasher7
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Tires- What are you guys all running?

Post by SavageBasher7 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:43 pm

Looking to get a better set of treads for the XS. I'm thinking 2.2 size...a little taller and wider. The 2.8's I've seen are a little too wide for my taste (I think). Anyone have some 2.2's they would suggest? Pictures would be great. What tires do you have and how do they handle? I'm looking at Pro-Line Mashers, Chisel, & Flat Irons, the JConcepts RocX, or Losi Smasher. I like tires with some meat on them. I'm open to other suggestions as well.
[b][color=blue][size=150]Savage XS[/color][/size] Onyx 2S, 24/32-60, HPI wheelie bar, GPM hubs, fan w/heat sink, 2.2/3.0 trenchers, Pro-Line Split 6 beadlocks, Pro-Line Sand Paws/RPM Revolvers[/b]

Past RCs-
Mach .26 Savage
E-Maxx- 7-Cell Nihms
T-Maxx .15

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageBasher7
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SavageBasher7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:29 am

34 views and no replies? Is everyone running 2.8's?
[b][color=blue][size=150]Savage XS[/color][/size] Onyx 2S, 24/32-60, HPI wheelie bar, GPM hubs, fan w/heat sink, 2.2/3.0 trenchers, Pro-Line Split 6 beadlocks, Pro-Line Sand Paws/RPM Revolvers[/b]

Past RCs-
Mach .26 Savage
E-Maxx- 7-Cell Nihms
T-Maxx .15

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Okefenokee
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Okefenokee » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:28 am

i am running hpi ground assault tires. great handling and they stick to the ground on almost every surface!
the only problem: they have a pretty small diameter (compared to the original ones)... you will probably have to change the pinion gear.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Robbie420
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Robbie420 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:21 pm

I am running the Masher 2000s. I like them a lot better than the stockers. They have been holding up great for me on all surfaces, dirt, grass, pavement, the BMX track, and gravel pits. These are great IMHO
[img]http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j443/robbied420/Banner-Copy.png[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageBasher7
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SavageBasher7 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:11 pm

Found a used set of 2.2 Axial rock lizards on beadlock wheels on another rc site. When they show up I'll post how they are.  :D

Past RCs-
Mach .26 Savage
E-Maxx- 7-Cell Nihms
T-Maxx .15

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageBasher7
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SavageBasher7 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:21 pm

Have not run them yet due to other broken parts but here's how they look. I think they are fairly proportional. They should grip a lot better than the stockers but there is a lot more soft sidewall.

Past RCs-
Mach .26 Savage
E-Maxx- 7-Cell Nihms
T-Maxx .15

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BillyC74
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by BillyC74 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:06 pm

Did you like those tires?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

savagenitroflux
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by savagenitroflux » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:39 pm

[quote="SavageBasher7";p="866853"]Have not run them yet due to other broken parts but here's how they look. I think they are fairly proportional. They should grip a lot better than the stockers but there is a lot more soft sidewall.

Image[/quote]

Holy cow those look huge!  Good looking savage!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

BillyC74
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by BillyC74 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm running hpi Geolanders. They work good for me. I didn't want a bigger tire than stock because of the extra wear and tear on the drive train.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

mrlab
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by mrlab » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:18 am

I have a few sets of wheels and tires, some 2.2" some 2.8". My favorites are the stock 2.2" warlock wheels with the Proline Masher 2000's though - with those it just grips no matter what the surface is, but admittedly the steering response dulls a bit, and because they're so grippy it's prone to rolling over in going into a turn too hot on pavement.

All my other wheel and tire combos are great on pavement but useless on dirt, or vice-versa.

If fitting the mashers (or any other 5" tire) make sure you gear down or you will overheat and/or boil Lipos - I use the OEM recommended setup for 3S and that has served me well.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mudfrog
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Mudfrog » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:35 pm

I'm running 2.2 Badlands and I love them.  They are 100 times better than the stock tires.  I got lucky as well, the battery door opens with no issues and very minimal rubbing on the inside of the tire.

Savage X Losi 454
Savage X - Flux Conversion
Savage XS Flux
Axial Wraith
Axial Ridgecrest

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

always_a_rhythm
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by always_a_rhythm » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:23 am

[quote="SavageBasher7";p="865773"]Looking to get a better set of treads for the XS. I'm thinking 2.2 size...a little taller and wider. The 2.8's I've seen are a little too wide for my taste (I think). Anyone have some 2.2's they would suggest? Pictures would be great. What tires do you have and how do they handle? I'm looking at Pro-Line Mashers, Chisel, & Flat Irons, the JConcepts RocX, or Losi Smasher. I like tires with some meat on them. I'm open to other suggestions as well.[/quote]

[quote="SavageBasher7";p="865773"]Looking to get a better set of treads for the XS. I'm thinking 2.2 size...a little taller and wider. The 2.8's I've seen are a little too wide for my taste (I think). Anyone have some 2.2's they would suggest? Pictures would be great. What tires do you have and how do they handle? I'm looking at Pro-Line Mashers, Chisel, & Flat Irons, the JConcepts RocX, or Losi Smasher. I like tires with some meat on them. I'm open to other suggestions as well.[/quote]

I use these street tires called Rockets from Louise. I originally bought them for my HPI Blitz which is a Short Course Truck, so these are Rocket SC. I wanted something that would perform well on the road. I didn't love them on my blitz because they drifted too much with a 2wd truck. On 4wd with my savage xs they drift a little before causing a traction roll. So, I like them.

http://www.louiserc.com/index.php
Again, these are the short course version of the tires/wheels. So they have the offset between the inside and outside wheel size.
The best part about these tires is they clear the body/chassis of the truck with no shimming or end point adjustment. They're probably about 1/8"-1/4" bigger than the stock tires.

They perform OK in short grass and dirt too. I use them more than the stockers. Because they're a little bigger which gives a little more speed. I run a hobbywing 3400kv motor with no heat issues geared up or down.

(I'm having trouble embedding photos)
My Truck with the SC Rockets on them.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2togsbiphrqa ... 905.jpg?m=

PS...I think Louise is the contract manufacturer for Duratrax. The Duratrax Banditos look almost identical.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageBasher7
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SavageBasher7 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:47 am

The rock lizards don't hold up, lol. They ballooned then caught on something and ripped apart. They did however grip awesome while they lasted. I just bought some 2.2 Pro-Line sand paw for the rears and running stock on front for the beach. They work awesome and are the same size as stock. I will probably go with the 2.2 Masher 2000's eventually. Those badlands look good too.

Past RCs-
Mach .26 Savage
E-Maxx- 7-Cell Nihms
T-Maxx .15

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lizard
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by lizard » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:28 am

Those:

And those:

:D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageBasher7
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SavageBasher7 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:32 pm

lizard-
What brand and size is the tire on the left? Any pics of it on the truck?

Past RCs-
Mach .26 Savage
E-Maxx- 7-Cell Nihms
T-Maxx .15

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lizard
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by lizard » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:25 am

They are all 1/6 scale tires, the one on the left is this one:
http://www.elcon-models.com/en/off-road ... g-set.html

Sorry, don't have a pic of them on the truck, have not yet glued them.

Edit: Size is 155mm diameter and 60mm width. Weight mounted with rim is about 310grams.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageBasher7
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SavageBasher7 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:01 pm

[quote="mrlab";p="871671"]I have a few sets of wheels and tires, some 2.2" some 2.8". My favorites are the stock 2.2" warlock wheels with the Proline Masher 2000's though - with those it just grips no matter what the surface is, but admittedly the steering response dulls a bit, and because they're so grippy it's prone to rolling over in going into a turn too hot on pavement.

All my other wheel and tire combos are great on pavement but useless on dirt, or vice-versa.

If fitting the mashers (or any other 5" tire) make sure you gear down or you will overheat and/or boil Lipos - I use the OEM recommended setup for 3S and that has served me well.[/quote]

Have you run the badlands or trenchers? How do they compare to the Mashers? Anyone else with comparisons feel free to let us know as well.

Past RCs-
Mach .26 Savage
E-Maxx- 7-Cell Nihms
T-Maxx .15

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links