Pinion keeps coming loose

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI Savage XS Flux Brushless Electric Vehicle.
millersavage
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Pinion keeps coming loose

Post by millersavage » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:10 am

Any tricks to keeping the pinion tight? It seems to come loose after a few packs. I am using red lock tight on it.
The only thing that smokes more than a savage is my credit card!

Savage Flux HP
Savage 25
Savage Flux XS
Blade 350 QX
Supercub LP

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Mr.Snuggles
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Mr.Snuggles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:36 am

scuff the motor shaft with scotch brite or similar to give the loc tite something to bite to. ( i use blue loc tite  ) my pinions have never come loose.

make sure that you get rid of all fat or greese with a good cleaner that leaves no residue ( i prefer brake cleaner )

it is very important that the grub screw used has no damage inside the hex and your tool fits in there perfect so that you can get the desired tightness. best is to install new grub screw every time it has gotten loose instead of retightening an already ruined one. ( if the grub screw has rounded off on the end touching the motor shaft, then you need to replace it )

never buy cheap tools to tighten your hardened hex bolts. ( biggest reason for not being able to tighten hex bolts to the needed tighteness is crappy tools)

i should stop here but i could go on for pages for how to tighten and glue pinions.
[url=http://www.pown.it/5078]random of the day[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/user/werrycoolnick]my youtube[/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

96TL
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by 96TL » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:02 pm

I use Tekin pinions. They come with an oversized grub screw that you can really crank down tight.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links