Electric upgrades

This forum is dedicated to discussion regarding the HPI Savage XS Flux Brushless Electric Vehicle.
cybergeorge
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Electric upgrades

Post by cybergeorge » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:30 am

Hi all,

I was in the RC hobby about 12 years ago, then sold everything and completely got out due to work. Now I'm thinking of slowly starting over. I am initially looking for a 4WD electric truck or buggy. I looked at the XS and MERV and it seems like the XS has good structural components but needs electric upgrades, while the MERV is the other way around. I decided on the XS, since I don't have much time to mess with working on the truck at this point. The electronics are easy to switch.

That said, I'm looking for complete electronics:
- new 3 channel radio with digital trims and the ability to store 3-4 car settings for the future
- new very high torque and fast steering servo
- 2S Lipo batteries
- new ESC and sensored motor or a sensor/sensorless like the Castle

Money is not an issue. Please, advice of what's best for this car.

Thanks,
George.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cybergeorge
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by cybergeorge » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:43 am

Here is a list I am considering to start a discussion:

Hitec Aggressor SRX Pro 3Ch 2.4GHz Tx/Rx/HS-5485HB
Hitec HS-8360TH Hi Res Titanium Gear HS Coreless Servo
Trinity X LiPo 2S 7.4V 7150mAh 100C Deans
TrakPower VR-1 DC Dual Channel Charger w/Balancer
Castle Creations 1/8 Mamba Monster 2/Neu-Castle 2650kV

Comments?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

cybergeorge
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by cybergeorge » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:09 am

Oh, and some additional information that may help:

I am interested more in control and accuracy than top speed. Terrain will be grass initially and maybe I'll build a basic dirt track later. No extreme bashing over rocky terrain. A few jumps, but nothing over 2-3 feet.

Thanks for any help you may be able to provide...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

jedacite
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by jedacite » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:02 am

If you are asking me what I think that the Savage is missing it is the following:
1. Better Tires
2. Stronger Servo
3. Better Slipper Clutch
4. Different Steering Links

I use HPI V-Groove tires for on-road use and Proline TrencherX tires mounted to SC rims for my off-road use.  To use the Proline Trencher X tires you will need to change your pinion/idler setup to prevent over-heating the motor.

The servo that the Savage comes with is not very strong and would be a good upgrade to perform.  It wasn't bad enough for me to go out and buy a new servo for, but when I acquired a broken servo from a friend (stripped gears) I replaced the gears and stuck it in the Savage XS.

The slipper clutch on the Savage XS can loosen up over time, its not hard to adjust but it is good to keep an eye on it.  I have purchased a different spring but have yet to install it.

If the savage impacts something hard enough, it can knock the balls of the steering links off.  Once the steering links are knocked off they tend to come off pretty easy.  There is a combination of Traxxas and HPI parts that you can use to bolt the steering links to the hubs / steering assembly, just take note that if you impact something pretty hard you may transfer more strain up the steering assembly.

I personally would not upgrade the Savage XS electronics unless you are intending to perform speed runs.  The Savage XS is very fast on 2S and can support 3S if you gear it appropriately. I find that due to the size of the Savage XS the speed that it can reach (properly geared) on 2S is fast enough for it to be hard enough to control as it jumps and bounces around unless you are running on smooth pavement.

On a dirt track the Savage XS is a hoot, but it does not have the control or handling of a car designed for stuff like that (such as an SC10.)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

XS-flux
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by XS-flux » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:05 am

what to do ... I have a Savage XS flux and a MT4 with an RX-461 reciver ... I want to go from Lipo 2s to 3s ... Can I do this without killing my reciver - and if no, what to do?[size=Font Size][/size]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Elres8
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by Elres8 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:58 pm

Yes, just put it in ! Caution, do your pinion and idle gear swap. 24T- 32t/60t. Also if you have the castle link turn down punch control to 75% to prolong the life of driveline and temps!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links