Any competitive precision shooters on the site?

A forum for nothing to do with anything to do with anything in particular. NO SPAM, ALL SPAM WILL BE REMOVED.
dodgedude
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Any competitive precision shooters on the site?

Post by dodgedude » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:15 pm

I've been bit by a new hobby.

Precision shooting. Something about nailing a paper target 2000+yards away.
I've been saving and slowly building my first rifle, if I hit the bulls eye at 200 yards I'll be happy :D
Other than .22's I've never shot too much. Taken out a few coyotes that were terrorizing neighboring farmers but thats it.

Anyways, I'd like some insight from experienced shooters if there are any.
Especially on the dynamics of how barrel twist affects different bullets.
And the math behind accounting for bullet drop and windage.
[img]http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af324/Dodgedude780/avatar-1.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_93901_-_start_-_0.html]Big Blue[/url]......Soon.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:04 am

Not much into the dynamics and math of it yet, but I just got a Ruger .300 winmag. I was told by the guy I bought it from that it is accurate out to 1000 yards.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

oarie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by oarie » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 am

It is a well known fact that in Canada people do not have guns.  No, I'm just kidding.  I shoot but I'm not into the technical aspects of it.  I've had my LTC for nearly 20 years now but that means nothing whatsoever in terms of ballistics knowledge.

If you have an iPhone there is an app called iSnipe that you should look into. If you have an Android you should look into an app called Strelok.  Unfortunately for us Android users the iPhone app is much nicer and no intentions are in place to develop iSnipe for Android. :(
O

[url=http://www.savage-central.com/][img]http://www.savage-central.com/banners/468x60banner.gif[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dodgedude
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by dodgedude » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:51 pm

[quote="oarie";p="862529"]It is a well known fact that in Canada people do not have guns. [/quote]

Guess my house will be the safest in the country :)
Actually you'd be surprised at some of the views on weapons up here, but to avoid starting such a debate on our site, during these times (in both countries for that matter) lets just leave it there.

Cool I'll check that app out. I just traded in the Android for the I-phone for that reason. Android apps were lacking.

Im thinking of pairing a savage 110BA .300 with a leupold 6x20 50mm scope. Should get me to around 1500+ yards easily. Once my skills get there that is.
Right now, 200 yards sounds like a good day :)
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/Evo-Forums_-_file_-_viewtopic_-_t_-_93901_-_start_-_0.html]Big Blue[/url]......Soon.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

bifftit
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by bifftit » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:59 am

i have a colt 45. i often wonder how  people got shot in the old west gun shootouts. they would have had to have been really close to one and other to get lead in them  lol
2007 HD Ultraclassic +trailor...2000 UMC groundpounder 113ci...2008 HD 1200C (wifeys ride)

SavageXL-Novarossi 28 or Lrp32
SavageX-Picco 28 or OS 30VG...
Flux HP-tekin T8/RX8
Oh, and Orange Crush!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pipedup
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by pipedup » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:51 am

[quote="dodgedude";p="862574"][quote="oarie";p="862529"]It is a well known fact that in Canada people do not have guns. [/quote]

Guess my house will be the safest in the country :)
Actually you'd be surprised at some of the views on weapons up here, but to avoid starting such a debate on our site, during these times (in both countries for that matter) lets just leave it there.

Cool I'll check that app out. I just traded in the Android for the I-phone for that reason. Android apps were lacking.

Im thinking of pairing a savage 110BA .300 with a leupold 6x20 50mm scope. Should get me to around 1500+ yards easily. Once my skills get there that is.
Right now, 200 yards sounds like a good day :)[/quote]

That is a great choice IMO, I have a savage 110 in 7mm rem mag and love that gun. The kick isn't as bad as I thought it would be with a 6lb gun either, my woman has shot it and had no problems. I love the leopold scopes that is definately the way to go, I have a bushnell on mine right now but soon to get a leopold to put on it. I am going to send the scope in to get set up for yardage drop as well. I used to reload a pile but there just seems to be no time anymore in my life for it and today's cartridges quality control I think are better than they used to be. I shoot federal premium 165gr in my rifle and love the power it has. I dropped a bison this year at 325yards with no issues at all. If you are planning on long range shooting you will want to get a rangefinder. My suggestion is the Nikon rangemaster 1000, I love that unit and it even works for golfing :) only downside is it is only good for 1000 yards so if you want to shoot past that you will need something else.

I have been watching videos on youtube of people shooting at 1200yrds + and man they have some nice equipment. Windage tools as well as yardage tools. There is lot's of useful hints to be found on the net to get started, if you have any doubt about anything don't hesitate to shoot me a pm, no pun intended hehe, I know a couple gunsmiths that I trust and could ask them about anything your not sure of if you have a gunsmith working for you. I love the savages I have quite a few in my collection, mostly lever actions, but that ba is a very nice gun. Look at my post I did about the bison hunt, I think I put it in the wrong place? General talk section
I got banned for being an idiot

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

dodgedude
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by dodgedude » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks man! I've been doing some research in long range sport guns, and this one has great reviews and looks killer!
There's a youtube video of a guy hitting 1675 yards with this rifle, and I saw one of a guy smaking around the 2700 yard mark (I dont think it was this gun, at least not with the same barrel and action) . 4 seconds of flight time. Definately not factory ammo. lol

Thanks for binging up the range finder. I have not even given that any thought. But it makes sense that I will need one, How much did you pay for that nikon?
I think for the first year or two 1000 yards will be the goal, More realistically I'd like to hit 500 yards and then work up from there. I just don't want to buy a new rifle every time I hit a new milestone.
I'm thinking if using Federal Gold Match 178gr. Apparently this barrel likes a heavier pill. but I'll try a few different rounds to see which works the best. And as for reloading, Ive been reading up on that too but I'm probably a few years away from that. From what I'm reading on sniper-central the over the counter "match ammo" is fairly decent up into the 1200 yard range these days.

Bifftit, I think in the old days there was a lot more wasted led than Hollywood lets us believe :lol: I shot a desert eagle and a 357 magnum at a range in Edmonton, and I couldn't hit anything at 25 yards. Left with a barely used target and a sore wrist.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

pipedup
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by pipedup » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:21 am

I am not sure what the Nikon cost, it was a gift from my fiancee. Do you have a range around GP that has the distance to sight in your gun? Our range is only good to 200yards unfortunately, however with the scope I have my eye on  as long as it is driving nails at 200 it should be accurate through all ranges. I love shooting, I find it very therapeutic, I take my SR9 to the indoor range every Thursday evening and love desimating a target. Let me know if your ever in central Alberta, I will show you my collection and we can hit the range if you have time.
I got banned for being an idiot

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

electricnitro
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by electricnitro » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:04 pm

A few years ago I got into skeet shooting at the local gun club.  That is crazy addicting. What I like about skeet shooting is the faster pace and more shooting the rifle shooting. Although rifle shooting with friends trying to hit a target the size of a egg 500+ yards is fun. In a round of skeet you shoot a box of 20ct box of shells.  For those who don't know what a skeet course looks like here is a picture.Image
NEWS FLASH: Every time you stop your engine..... please make sure the piston is at the bottom of the stroke. It will add life to your engine, by keeping the pinch of the sleeve good. NEWS FLASH

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

lfromsalem
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by lfromsalem » Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:29 am

Not a competitive shooter but I have been in the shooting industry for many years. I'd be happy to answer any questions.

As far as twist rate goes the general rule is, long bullets need a faster twist then short bullets. Given a specific caliber lets say .223/5.56 the bullet weights range from 40 grains to 77. Since you can't make the projectile larger in diameter it must become longer to accommodate more weight. So a 40gn might be this long ------------- and a 77gn this long ----------------------. In order to stabilize the bullet in flight a faster twist puts more rifling in contact with the bullet. A lack of stability with a slow twist heavy bullet can produce crappy accuracy or inconsistency. A lack of stability with a fast twist light bullet can produce the same bad accuracy,and in extreme cases self destructing bullets. Hope this helps.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links