roto start on a C5/8-port

Answers to all of your Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

roto start on a C5/8-port

Post by CRSMP5 » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:18 pm

from article... http://www.savage-central.com/modules.p ... roto+start

Posted by DaFlyingFrenchman

i felt this needed its own post i keep seeing people ask about roto start on 8 ports and all, took me too long to figure out where i saw it, this is not a easy sounding mod, but he outlines it for you, all i can say is thanks for the info, feel more than free to add to it, maybe Jim or o will post it in the tech tips section one day

"I did my C5 p/s conversion using parts of my .21bb engine pull starter system.

I drilled my C5 crank on a milling machine with a titanium coated carbide drill bit (very hard to drill, won't recommend to do it yourself)

Then I used the .21 pull start flywheel but had to turn down the od of it otherwise piston would hit it a bottom dead postion.

After that, I had to seal the .21bb backplate on my c5 because there was a small gap between .21bb backplate and c5 rear case inside diameter.

The 4 screws are on the same spot on both engine.

Everything else is pretty straightforward.

Be aware, that's not an easy conversion, but it is working very good for me.

The best part is that the roto starter fits perfect and now I got the first C5 drill start

X81SONICDIESEL,

I am not using trinity offset wheel but Treadz rims premounted with mini pins tires. It's a fine choice and does hook-up pretty good. The best parts is that there is no gluing to do (I am the worst tires gluer in the world LoL)

metal_gear_2010

I can't say for the .26 picco since I didn't see RCSav review with a side by side comparison.
Nevertheless, I am sure the .26 would have more low end grunt, the C5 is well known not to be the best toward the lowest rpm. On the other side, I can't see a .26 5 port engine having more top end than my c5. I mean this c5 is derivated from an on-road engine and has the best top rpm I ever seen on an off-road engine. The 11 ports is rumored to puts out 38 000 rpm under load, and I doubt the ofna would beat this. Although the ofna could have more top speed if geared with a 18 teeth clutch, but then it would loose a bit of the low end...

Time will tell ! "

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

oarie
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by oarie » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:52 pm

Yes, some day I will get around to adding a lot of what you guys have added here. It's just a matter of having the time to do it. I never realized what a large undertaking running this site would be and I never in a million years expected it to become as huge as it is. Don't get me wrong, I'm really happy with the progress the site has made and will surely continue to make. :D
O

[url=http://www.savage-central.com/][img]http://www.savage-central.com/banners/468x60banner.gif[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links