WHY does my 1 way bearing slip?

Answers to all of your Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

WHY does my 1 way bearing slip?

Post by CRSMP5 » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:57 pm

ok, this thread is needed and should have been done long ago..

1st there are 2 different engine types, engines with internal 1 way bearingsand engines with external one way bearings, the links ar to articles on rebuilding of engines that show the differances in the photos..

2nd fuel used is a issue. some fuels have a high castor oil content, like traxxas (my back up fuel if i cannot get odonnal). Blue thunder even though has NO castor their oil package is a issue.

external 1 way bearings are less prone to fuel being a slipping issue, the normal issue is the back plate start shaft seeps fuel into the 1 way bearing, the heat boils the fuel away leving a oil residue that makes it slip. this is a simple to solve issue. if pull start shoot nitroclean or fresh fuel down the pull start cord and give a few pulls and life is good.. if roto start a small hole drilled into the rotostart backplate to do this works great

internal 1 way bearings. this IS A ISSUE on fuel. ive been using odonnal for quite some time with very little issues of bearing slippage, it takes leaving fuel in the engine for a month to have it slip alittle. blue thunder on the other hand is a everytime you want to start it issue. a simple change in fuel helps the most, but if your insistant on the fuel you have, or its all you can get, here is a nice tip... remove the glow plug, flood the engine, you will notice once it floods and you turn it over a few times slowly it quits slipping, then you must unflood the engine, i suggest levign the glow plug loose, getting it runnign then tightening the glow plug. the flooding trick works great.. just make sure its not flooded when you goto start it.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links