RTR Savage .25

Answers to all of your Frequently Asked Questions can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Sat Oct 18, 2003 7:26 am

i figured i'd post more stuff on it as i go along. as i have 2 .21 savages as well, i have a good base to compare things on the .25 to. also, not sure how many of us have a .21 and a .25 model, so maybe i can finally do some good around here :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

krome
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by krome » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:13 am

I'm going to buy the things i'll need for my rtr arriving.
I've already got the 7.2v stick and charger for the roto start.
I'm gonna pickup a gall of Blue Thunder 20%
got most of the basics from my rc10gt i.e. glow plug heater and so on.
I will get the red and blue thread lock.
Can the screws with red threadlock still be removed if needed?
If i wanted to remove the backplate to change worn piston/sleeve.
will need a 6v hump pack for rec.
Any suggestions for a decent centre skid plate?
was looking for a black plastic one to match the stock front and rear skids but cant find any :(
might just splash out on a purple ali one :)
o.s.#5 plugs or o.s.#8? which is best for S -.25?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageCanuck
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SavageCanuck » Sat Oct 18, 2003 9:27 pm

I'll do a general comparison also as I to have 3 Sav incl a new rtr So far I still like my 8port best as it never runs out of steam on the top end. The rtr has great potential I only have 5 tanks thru it and it's way faster than the bb. and the new fuel tank sucked up every drop with no lean cond at 1/2 tank.I am still running it rich and cool I have it hitting second about 5 feet out of the hole i'll probably baby it for a few more tanks and lean it a tad more and i'm sure it will just get better with age

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

krome
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by krome » Sun Oct 19, 2003 5:17 am

Great new's SavageCanuck :D
Look forward to hearing detailed reports as you run it in.
It sounds as though you are well pleased with it already.
Cant wait for mine to arrive. British Postal Service taken ages :(
Was despatched from Tower on the 2nd Oct.
Anyway thanks for the update and keep them comin.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

torqie
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by torqie » Sun Oct 19, 2003 11:36 am

you guys are gonna love this truck. dont know how it compares to an 8 port or wasp but i love this thing. after breakin this thing hauls. at 250 degrees it is a beast. never stalls dont lean out but i did the dual tank mod just for rollovers and stuff and it looks cool hehe. my friends think its a performance upgrade or somin and blame the dual tank mod for smokin there maxx's. put a full THS exhaust motor saver filter and it is a bad hammer. im not sayin its all that but im really impressed with my first savage.
just dont rush the heat cyle proccess cause mine didnt really loosin up til about a gallon.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

electro303
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by electro303 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 5:12 am

Finally got my savage 25 on friday and after doing the throttle mod, diffs and other little things i finally got to run it in today. did the heat cycle then ran a couple tanks through it. started to play with the needles at the end of the day and let me say this thing flys. hooking up on sandstone rock the wheels were lifting off the ground. and to think this was its first day out. can only get better once it loosens up and plays with the needles more.
still running on the factory plug also.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

David_G
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by David_G » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:51 am

krome wrote:I'm going to buy the things i'll need for my rtr arriving.
I've already got the 7.2v stick and charger for the roto start.
I'm gonna pickup a gall of Blue Thunder 20%
got most of the basics from my rc10gt i.e. glow plug heater and so on.
I will get the red and blue thread lock.
Can the screws with red threadlock still be removed if needed?
If i wanted to remove the backplate to change worn piston/sleeve.
will need a 6v hump pack for rec.
Any suggestions for a decent centre skid plate?
was looking for a black plastic one to match the stock front and rear skids but cant find any :(
might just splash out on a purple ali one :)
o.s.#5 plugs or o.s.#8? which is best for S -.25?

I used the blue loctite on mine and it's holding everything in place just fine.

For the battery pack, check out this guy - http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V ... =3&rows=50 great battery, great price, and a very fast shipping.

I just received my Silver GPM 6061 Aluminum and it looks GREAT, won't have a chance to bash w/ it 'till the weekend but it seems thick enough to do the job with ease. It's avail. in purple too.

-David

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

krome
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by krome » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:49 am

Thanks for that David.
That pack will do nicely :D
Let us know how you get on once you start bashing.
Cheers...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

scott
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by scott » Sat Oct 25, 2003 10:02 pm

hello

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Rustler66
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by Rustler66 » Mon Oct 27, 2003 12:02 pm

I had to re-post this here since I have the Savage 25 and all the problems I've had with it so far:

I've had nothing but problems with the Nitrostar motor on my Savage 25 RTR. I have had the truck only 3 weeks and have taken the motor completely apart 4 times ALREADY!. The dang spring loaded pin that catches the beveled backplate to turn the motor over keeps popping out and bouncing around inside the cranck case. The one way baring has snapped twice on me with the rotostart, too. the 3rd oneway baring spun and wedged itself on the rotostart back plate main gear and could not be removed. I've spent about $100 on oneway barings in 3 weeks!!! 2 of the 4 time I've had the motor apart was because the spring was stuck with the pin inside, so I had to take the piston and sleeve off.

I dummped the crap rotostart and put a pullstart on it and have not had any problems so far.

I hape all you have better success than I have had so far with this thing.

Don't get me wrong here.....I have used rotostarts on smaller motors without any problems. It would appear in my case it just plain sucks for a bigger motor coupled with a crap motor design. If I have to pull this Nitrostar 25 motor out again I'm gonna take a sledge hammer to it!

When I got the Savage 25 the factory CROSS THREADED the silver nut side for the wheels with the black nuts??? We could not even cut the bolts off, so I had to blow torch my brand new wheels and melt them off the hubs! I ended up making all the hubs clockwise. Another $90 down the drain!

Also, The stock muffler pipe cracked on me. Another $30 for a Hotbodies metal pipe!

So in 3 weeks I went from spending $425 on the Savage 25 RTR to spending about $625 on the stock truck! JEEESH!! I could not wait for the SS kit so I got the 25 RTR Kit. But with 5 other Nitro cars and trucks I have, I decided to remove all the Savage servos and receiver and put my FM digital receiver and Hi-Tech digital servos on it. The stock steering servo was far to weak from what I was use to, not to mention the stock servo saver will not fit on the Hi-Teck servos, so I had to but a Kimbrough for $6.

I thought my T-Maxx was a money sink, but this is rediculous. But Then again, the Savage tottaly kicks my $1500 Traxxas T-Maxx's butt. My Savage is now approching $1,000.

I hope all of you getting a 25 RTR or SS have better success than I have had so far. But.....all in all I think HPI has a winner here with the bigger engine and beefed up bog bones. As a matter of fact, hehehe, I busted a friends T-Maxx's chassis while messing around. As usual his motor died and I was 1/2 throttle behind him and SMACK!!! HAHAHA we picked the Savage up and not even a scratch, but his Maxx was in half. So, add another $85 I had to buy for a chassis for his Maxx....... Was worth it though. proved my point that the Savage is a T-Maxx killer!

BTW Scott (Post before this one), could you please get rid of that pic or avatar or make it smaller?? It's WAY TO BIG and messes up the thread!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

radicalray
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by radicalray » Tue Oct 28, 2003 3:28 am

Having problems with my RTR too. When you get your new engines from HPI after sending them your messed up engine. Double check all screws, my new engine had loctite on backing plate, but none on case for back plate unit,lots of vibration back there, screws will work loose, amazingly i still like the truck, i think a SS kit is next for me.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChiefPig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by ChiefPig » Wed Oct 29, 2003 12:47 pm

All these problems with the HPI .25 engine is starting to concern me. I am planning to get an SS kit soon. Does the T-Maxx have the same type of problems when brand new? I am not talking about damages due to crashes. I am more concerned about problems with design and quality.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageCanuck
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SavageCanuck » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:39 pm

Rustler thats alot of problems I would phone HPI as they should warranty things like the wheels being cross threaded I have not had any of the prob you have had as my new RTR is my 3rd Sav so I pretty much no all the week links. As for the engine I tore mine down when it was new a reassembled it with loctite and silicone sealer and greased the o-rings and it runs like a champ no air leaks or tuning issues

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

krome
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by krome » Mon Nov 03, 2003 12:29 pm

It's here :D :lol: :D :lol: :D :lol:
Savage 25 rtr came this morning.
Couldnt believe how BIG it is.
It makes my RC10GT look like a little kids toy :D
will keep you guys posted on how things go.
Time to get threadlockin :twisted:

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Eric00
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Eric00 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:30 am

Hey guys
I got my Savage 25 on Saturday and let me tell you that I've never had an RTR break-in so easiliy. The first thing I did when I got it, was to drop a some after run oil in the motor just to make everything smooth for the firtst start. She started in 5 seconds thanks to rotostart and idled all the way throught the first tank. Tank no 2 and no 3 were just playing around at half throttle and it was smooth, no jerking like the maxx when engaging the trasnmission, nothing like that. Tank 4 I had to lean it out a bit because it wasn't going to past 1/2 throttle due to it being so rich and here so cold. I did a few tanks at 3/4 of a throttkle but it still wouldn't shift into second gear, so I leaned it out a bit again, :lol: bang I nail the throtle and it wheelies and started to shift into second gear. I love this truck. Compared to my Sirio Break-in(my super maxx) this was really easy and the rotostart is the best! Thanks for all your tips too. Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

krome
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by krome » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:21 pm

Hi Eric,
You did'nt say how many turns you were leaning it out by and what needles you were using, i take it that it was the hsn :D
what were your temps then and now?
and have you done any other mods?
reason im askin is mine is still not pullin wheelies yet but its gettin there.
just incase im doin something wrong :D
hope you can help.
cheers.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Eric00
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Eric00 » Mon Nov 10, 2003 12:36 pm

Yes I was working on the hsn needle, humm I would say that i leaned it out maybe half a turn by 1/8 incresements. In outside temps of 55 I was driving hard at temps between 210-220 using 25%nitro/16% oil fuel. It won't wheely on demand but close, I would say that 50% of the time it will, I have to play with with the LSN next time. It is mods free until my next trip to the hobby shop. Eric

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

krome
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by krome » Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:16 pm

Heh heh,
Nice one, i've had to fit a new button to my rotostart a new one way bearing and now a new brake hex as my brake disc has worn a groove in it :(
Apart from that it seems to be going not to bad,some more tuning and it should be bang on.
will be getting the kevlar dual disc brakes and doing the throttle mod.
Then i'll see how much money is available for more hop ups :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

geoz
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by geoz » Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:28 pm

Eric00 , on what tank did you start leaning out the needles? I've heard that the needles shouldn't be touched until the 8th or 9th tank.

But if everythings running good I guess your alright. :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Eric00
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by Eric00 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:12 pm

I started leaning out the HSN on the fifth tank, but I honestly think that this was right because the motor was rich and the temps weren't getting past 190 degrees. I would say that I was leaning it 1/8 by half a tank. Yesterday I took thetruck out again and started leaning the LSN and it just rips. My temps are arounf 230's in cold weather( 60 yesterday). I am still using the stock plus which is still shinny and idling strong. Good luck to everybody!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links