LRP/Mach/SH Roto-start instructions

Tech tips for the Savage can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

LRP/Mach/SH Roto-start instructions

Post by tbill » Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:53 pm

for those of you that have purchased a dynamite mach .26, may have noticed the back plate is gigantic. as such, it kind of limits what gearing options you can use. a 14t Cb and a 52T spur combo is a tight fit, so much so, a 15t CB would be out of the question. so, in an effort to create more flexability of this power plant, i decided to mess around with some stuff :D

what i found is, the XTM 24.7 back plate is a direct fit, here is a picture of the two back plates side by side [the mach is the larger one]

the one way bearings are also slightly different height wise, [the xtm is shorter]

at first, i was just going to use a pull start, but since i also have a .25rtr, i figured i'd adapt the roto-start as well. so basically what it boils down to, is a simple install of an xtm 24.7 back plate, xtm one way bearing, and either an xtm pull start, or an hpi roto assembly. the actual 'drive hex' for the one way is identical between the mach .26 and the xtm 24.7. once the smaller back plate is on, it's just a matter of bolting on the pull start.  for installing the hpi roto portion, all you need to use to space the hex in the roto assembly is the 'spacer spring' out of the mach .26 pull start, when installed, it's quite stiff, so it should keep the drive hex in place easily.

here are a few pic's of it installed on the mach .26,

note the little 'puff' of fuel spray, i was cranking it over in that pic  8)

ok, parts needed,

XTM p/n 148217 back plate
XTM p/n 148189 one way bearing
XTM p/n 148188 pull start [if going with pull start]
HPI p/n 87110 [complete roto-start kit, if going roto-start]

rough cost to go pull start is @ $43.00, rough cost to do roto-start is @ $68.00. [both prices assume you only have the mach .26, and no 'spare parts'].

also of note, if you use an S-C store envy flywheel, an 18t CB with a 52t spur combo will now fit 8)

p.s. big thanks to CRSMP5 for hooking me up with an extra roto case/gears assembly, i robbed the one off my .25rtr to finish this up, my 'extra' one should be here tomorrow 8)
savage #1 lrp z28, savage #2 mach .26, savage #3 wasp .26, savage #4 mach .26, savage X, Hellfire, GS storm,
2 nitro M/T's with a few mods, mini-T, 'magic wheels' Snap-On truck, xmod evo [firebird], LST2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

ChiefPig
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by ChiefPig » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:31 pm

Nice job, again. Man, looks like you're on a roll on becoming a moderator here :D

So, with this mod, it looks like the mach .26 is not a bargain anymore. It brings it pretty much in the price range of the Picco/Wasp/8port/OS. Well, now, this makes my 2nd (racing) engine decision a little harder.
Savage SS

[img]http://members.shaw.ca/chiefpig/banner.jpg[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:45 pm

ya, it does get the price up there a bit, but if you already have one and want gearing options, it's a good option. also, those prices are for brand new stuff from my LHS, probably if a guy shopped around he could find it cheaper.

but like i say, atleast there is an option now :D
savage #1 lrp z28, savage #2 mach .26, savage #3 wasp .26, savage #4 mach .26, savage X, Hellfire, GS storm,
2 nitro M/T's with a few mods, mini-T, 'magic wheels' Snap-On truck, xmod evo [firebird], LST2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:34 am

this may be a dumb question.. but it was something talked about months ago... the xtm backplate is plastic right? someone used to say a 21bb style back plate would be a direct replacement for the xtm.. but im courious to how true it is... the s-25 has a interesting backplate with a built in o-ring to keep oil from seeping around the start shaft.. but made of aluminum... mind checking that out for me when you have time?? rember O has a s-25 backplate in his 21bb listing of parts.. and a few 21bb backplates.. the s-25 is MUCH more desirable though.. but there is a way to get a cheaper backplate if it will fit for the next few people.. if it fits..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:53 am

the mach .26 and the xtm 24.7 back plate have a notch cut out in them so the piston does not hit [i assume], where the stock .21 doesn't [was gonna try the .21 plate, but wouldn't work], mach and xtm plates,

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:25 pm

Looks good tbill, I think that I am going to try cutting and rebracing the tvp, as upon tear down mine are a little tweaked probably from a badly landed jump. I got looking and there are holes to use to mount a brace. I am not looking for all out top speed as generally race mine, and the track is pretty tight. I only need a little more room, I think, to use 16/49 gearing. I think it will be a good setup for the track as 15/49 will wheelie no prob if there is enough traction. I will keep everyone posted, but it will be awhile, the Savage will have a lot of down time now that there is enough snow to get out on the snowmobile......

Squid

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

byardbasher
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by byardbasher » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:41 pm

I'd be willing to bet that the 16/49 combo would be good for most tracks with the Mach 26. Squid - are you saying that the 16/49 definitely won't fit without modding the TVP or the backplate/pullstart?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

sfgascott
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by sfgascott » Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:51 pm

Nice work tbill! 8)

Scott
[color=indigo][size=150]Bashing in Tuttle, Oklahoma[/size][/color]
[img]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b37/sfgascott/banners/newbanner6.gif[/img]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HyperSav
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by HyperSav » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:30 pm

byardbasher wrote:I'd be willing to bet that the 16/49 combo would be good for most tracks with the Mach 26. Squid - are you saying that the 16/49 definitely won't fit without modding the TVP or the backplate/pullstart?

I would also like to know it the 16/49 combo would fit. If you know. If not Wasp it is.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sat Dec 20, 2003 10:50 pm

I will try the 16/49 in the morning seeing there are several people looking for the answer, I gave it a brief try when the 16 came in, seemed like a tight fit and didn't want to mess with trying to get it to fit right then, I wanted to use lower gearing for break in.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Savage_Stoner
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Savage_Stoner » Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:43 pm

Great work on that TBill....will going to the LHS and have them order the parts since they don't carry XTM for some crazy reason.....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageCanuck
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by SavageCanuck » Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:39 am

Great article it's nice to have options thanks for the leg work
Savage#1 Xtm 457 17/49 Heavily Modded and well bashed
Savage#2 LRP Z28 spec 2 New era extended and modded
Jammin X1CRT Vspec powed
Savage #3 SS kit OS30 Powered and Bullet proofed

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Truckmaniac
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Truckmaniac » Mon Dec 22, 2003 3:32 am

OK!
So in a few words, if someone gets the Mach engine what gearing options are available without changing the backplate?
What are the specs on the mach engine?

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:15 am

Dynamite claims 2.75 HP, 30000 RPM. 14/52, and 15/49 definately fit. Had some stuff come up this weekend, I will be getting to the truck tonite to try 16/49 with out modifying any thing.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Truckmaniac
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by Truckmaniac » Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:51 am

It seems that their are 2 Mach .26 and the difference is on the crankshaft.
What is the correct part# for the engine

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:16 am

you want the one with a piolet shaft, aka sg i beleive.. but if you get the other choice it can be made into the proper one for a few dollers more.. :D

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

SavageMulisha13
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by SavageMulisha13 » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:18 am

Where exactly can the 24.7 backplate be ordered? Thanks

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Squid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Squid » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:26 am

I'm pretty sure tbill got his from his LHS. I got the back plate from a GS Storm stock engine. It's composite, but it is holding up great, no probs yet.

And I can't believe that I forgot to post that the 16/49 fits stock, no mods necessary.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

Puffnstuff
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by Puffnstuff » Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:22 am

Great work and thanks TBill. I think you've just shown me what my next engine is going to be. :lol: Also if I don't want to change out the backplate, the dynamite one way is much cheaper than the xtm and I don't need that ratio anyway, do I still need the spacer in the rotostart housing? Thanks.
Savage 25 w/mach 26, tsais pro pipe, xtm sliding clutch, JR XS3 Radio, Airtronics 94358z, jr z590, new era wheelie bar, MS filter, Ofna mp ss, hpi dual disk brakes, 4 spider mod in alloy diffs & gearboxes, velocity 6 wheels/zombie maxx tires, gpm hexe

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Mon Apr 12, 2004 7:10 pm

to use the roto-start, you need to use the smaller back plate, otherwise the roto assm won't bolt on :cry: and yes, you will need the 'spring', it keeps the hex shaft from 'walking' out.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links