Fixing Broken hyper 8 port Pullstart tip

Tech tips for the Savage can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

laditude
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Fixing Broken hyper 8 port Pullstart tip

Post by laditude » Mon Jan 19, 2004 11:24 am

After several attempts at getting smashed in the face trying to rebuild my Hyper 8 pullstart I made a simple jig to make winding the spring easier. I drilled a 1" diameter hole 1'4" deep into a piece of plywood. The hole needs to be drilled off the edge of the plywood to allow the spring to be wound onto the spool and about 1" from the opposite end.

Take the spool and hook the spring to it ( make sure you're winding the right way ) and place the spool spring side down in the hole. Then hook the string from the pull cord into the little notch on the top of the spool. This helps keep the string from winding onto the spool while you're winding the spring ( Note: the pull start needs to be fully pulled out once you're done winding the spring ) Now start winding the spring up....you should be turning counter-clockwise. The spring will be feeding in from where the 1" hole hangs off the plywood. The hole is basically helping you hold the spring put while you're winding.

As you get to the end of the spring, let the hook that's on the end of it catch the edge of the plwood. Keep turning the spool ( your adding tesion to the spring ) Once you get a decent amount of tension on it, I took a small tuning flathead and hooked the end of the spring that was on the plywood.

Now you can pick the spool up out of the plywood holding the screw driver and slip it into the cover, with the screw driver going into the groove where the pullstart cord goes in. I found it easier if I pulled all of the slack from the cord out onto the spool side. Now all you need to do is work the screwdriver to the get the spring off into the slot.

Once you get the spring in, pull all the cord from the pullstart out ( hold that spool in place ) until the cord pops out of that little notch in the top of the spool. Now the cord will get "sucked" back into and around the spool.

If there isn't enough tension on the spring to recoil the pull start all the way, just pull the cord all the way out to the end and hold the spool down to prevent it from rewinding. Hook the cord back on that little notch on the spool and wind the spring up some more (counter clockwise turns) Pull the cord out of the notch and it'll hopefully recoil all the way now.

Sorry if this seems winded and lack of pix, but out of all the fixes I've done pullstarts have frustrated me the most. I rebuilt three other pullstarts in 15 minutes this weekend....I felt like I made 75 bucks this weekend......at $25 per pullstart... Hope this might help someone!!

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

paharleyman2001
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by paharleyman2001 » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:16 am

i would just of bought a new one

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

THE-SAVAGE
Savage Novice
Savage Novice

Post by THE-SAVAGE » Tue Jan 20, 2004 1:58 am

VERY Good Tip!!! I just had some trouble like that on my pull start for my mt2. I will try that. Could you pm me or post some pictures??? That would help out a lot.

THE-SAVAGE

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcmarty
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by rcmarty » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:16 am

I fiddled with my pullstarter for a long time.
Winding it up was no problem , getting it not to blow up before in place another story.

This is what i did :

I cut a slot the size of the spring in the case above where the end tags into the case. (the spring should lay in the original slot and exit the plastic case through the new slot you cut) . Cut the end off the spring so it's straight and feed the spring through the hole , tab the spring to the center part then put into place. Now looking at pullstarter that has the center piece (for string) in place with srting hooked up and the spring outside the case of the pullstarter. Bend a 90 deg bend on the end of the spring (so it won't go back in the new cut slot) then wind up the spring. The string will need to be brought up so it doesn't wind on the spool. Make a loop. Occasioally pull the string out and untangle it (it will be twisted up from the winding action of the spring being wound up) then wind up the spring untill it all goes into the case and set tension. To test i pull it out all the way, and sometimes pull it out all the way with a tug at the end to make sure it will work even if i do go to the end.

Works well for me, Martin :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

laditude
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by laditude » Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:17 am

rcmarty, good idea. I wasn't sure if cutting a slot would cause dirt and junk to fowl up the spring. As for buying a new one....I have, that was the third one I have broken...at $25 bucks a pop I was on a mission to figure out an easy way to fix 'em. I'd like to know how they actually make them at the factory. I'll get some pics together in the next day or so....

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

rcmarty
Savage Superstar
Savage Superstar

Post by rcmarty » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:28 pm

i cut the hole (more of a slot)only as large as needed for the spring. It is self sealing when the spring is in there.

If you need a pic i can arrange it

Martin :)

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DSavage
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by DSavage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:47 pm

just fixed my first pullstater.was putting loc tit on srews and and it blew apart 8O ..ready to buy a new one figured what could it hurt to try.look inside assembly to see what way the spring needs to catch the slot.then start from the center of the spring and wind the spring up.you need to wind so it will fit in the assembly.once small enough start the v of the spring so it will catch the slot.(fingers are starting to hurt by now)and slowly put spring the rest of the way in.(I used a small screwdriver).make sure the spring is not over top of its self .next put youre string threw the hole on youre spool and tie knot.wrap string around spool (clockwise) leaving 3 or 4 inches stick out to put threw the assemby.once string is sticking out the assembly look at spring and spool to match the slot on spool to the knotch on the spring.(may need to twist a little until it goes on) :roll: give fingers a beak......finish by putting little black piece, hose and handle on rope and tie knot. :P mine wasn't real flush but better than broke.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

DSavage
Savage Newbie
Savage Newbie

Post by DSavage » Thu Feb 03, 2005 7:52 pm

sorry spin the spool clockwise or put string on counterclockwise.atleast on my sh that was the direction..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links