HB shock article, read if you plan to purchase

Tech tips for the Savage can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

HB shock article, read if you plan to purchase

Post by CRSMP5 » Fri May 09, 2003 12:13 pm

Jim,32_ford, and TexSavage problems and solutions to HB shock sets, also Including Jim's review of them, well final words.. id like to thank them each for their time on this quest to help others out who may buy a set... At least you will have a idea of of what you have in store for you.

Jim
I got a set of the HB shocks yesterday, and just got around to opening them. So far all i've done is take one apart to check it out. Now i'll see if HPI shock parts are interchangeable, take them all apart to make sure there are no metal shavings left in them from machineing and start testing shock oils and opperation for smoothness of action and dampening.

Jim....

TexSavage issue,
I did find a couple of small problems when mounting them. The rod ends are poor. First of all they are shorter than stock. This puts the spring keepers too close to the drag links in the front. With the wheels at full deflection, the spring/keeper interferes with steering.

Second, the swivels in the rod ends are very small. I had to put some fuel tubing and washers on the shock retaining screws to keep them from poking out too far on the other side and hitting the dogbone. I am thinking of using the stock rod ends and spring keepers on mine. But I will give the shocks at least a try before modding them.

Tex

Tex's solution

The problem with the shocks I spoke of earlier bothered me enough to try out the stock rod ends on the HB shocks. Plus I had nothing better to do at the time. :lol:

Here are a few pictures:

Stock vs HB shock

The threads on the HB rods are quite short compared to stock

The HB shocks with the stock rod ends and spring keepers ended up about 1/2" longer. I hope this will be OK.

But the steering will work much better now. :D

I still think the HB shocks are pretty good. They just blew it on the rod ends.

Tex

Jim's Solution

Tex by installing the stock rod end on the HB shocks your going to lose some shock travel. Did you get a piece of small rubber hose with your shocks? If you cut it to 3/8" of an inch and install it between the HB rod end and spring retainer it will give you the clearence you need. It will also put your spring retainer back to stock height without losing any shock travel. I didn't like the rubber hose deal so i made some spacers out of some aluminum rivits i brought home frome work and turned them down and drilled them on my lathe. You could probably get some nylon bushings from your local hardware store that might work and need no modification. I drilled the holes in the center of my bushings with a #31 drill bit. I will be doing a reveiw on the shocks in the nexy few days, and go into detail about the mods i implemented as i put them together, such as: Rounding the piston edges for smoother action, the mentioned bushings, installing dual shock shaft seals, how to set the shocks up with identical lenght to stock, but gain a 1/4" of travel and what upper bushings i used. I will do the reveiw after i determine an oil weight.

Jim....

Heres how i did my shock ends:

Tex savage

32Ford,
That's a good idea with the spacers. I thought of it myself. Unfortunately the inspiration did not come to me until I was on my third beer. By then I had already modded six of my shocks with the stock parts. So I just finished the other two. I'll give it a try with the stock ends and see how it works out.

I think I am being punished for my indulgence. It's the Weekend and it is raining again! :x

Tex

Jim's reply

Tex your better off with the stock HPI rod end any way. I broke one of the HB ends in my first crash. The HB rod ends are a hard plastic and break easy where as the HPI's are softer and flex. If I was going to put my HB shocks back on, i would cut the stock HPI ends down to the HB length, and then use my spacer. Better set-up IMO. The shock shafts are soft also. I bent 3 of them in that first crash also. I'm not positive, but the HPI's might be a good replacement for the HB shafts. You can also use the HPI lower shock seals as replacements also.

Stay away from the refrigeratore untill your done working on your truck. :lol:

Jim....

Jims Final Words

Yep, i'm sorry to say that IMO your better of putting your money in something else. :( I gave them what i consider a fair shake, but they just didn't live up to my expectations and seem rather troublesome. They don't even hold oil well. :( JMO though.

Jim...

This info came from here I just want everyone to see what they went thru to make them fit, I think by now everyone has seen pics of them broken or bent but very little discussion on how to make them fit the truck..

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links