MP Servo Saver Set Up (steering)

Tech tips for the Savage can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

MP Servo Saver Set Up (steering)

Post by CRSMP5 » Wed Jun 18, 2003 8:04 pm

There are 2 reasons i went for this set up. The first is it can be adjusted for torque losses thru the servo saver vs the Kimbrough#124 that can not be.The 2nd reason is my life span with the 124 I get around a gallon before it gets sloppy loose. There is a 3rd reason for someone who has not gotten the ball bearings for the pieces, the one includes them and give the oppertunity to do that upgrade at the same time and be equal cost to buying the 124 and the bearings.

A is the main part you are looking for, it is a premade steering servo that replaces one of the stock bell cranks for the steering set up. There are 4 options i know will fit at this time, the Ofna Monster Pirate being the best, all the way to they Kyosho set up pictured.

Ofna 18098 Monster Pirate, comes with ball bearings for all 4 belcranks

Ofna 18034 Monster Pirate, comes with bushings

Kyosho IF-018 mp-5, this one does not include bearings, or the ability to have them in the servo saver section.

Both are around $20 and you can use one if you cannot get the other..

The 4th option is the most expensive, but Kyosho IFW-04, its blue in color though, but also like $40

It has also been found that the original plastic balls in the servo to servo saver rod wear quickly with this set up and create slop... traxxas part #2742 rod ends (long)(6)/hollow ball connectors(6) will solve this problem..

I had a debate on what i wanted to use for a servo arm to it, i debated about using a Ofna Plastic arm, or a aluminum one (Ofna 10752).. i went for the aluminum one, just for knowing there will be 0 flex in it. The only flex in the system should now be the Part A above, and the balls in the rod links.

The set up is pretty simple.
A is the servo saver
B The standard cross bar rod is now on top of the bell crank. I used one of my old chassis screws Z632 (m4x10mm self tapping) and left it a 1/4 turn loose as to prevent locking the joint up.
C is the spring that makes it work. You can shim it to increase tension also, lets say some big wheels and you are loosing all your torque thru the servo saver, you can shim it at this point to reduce how much you loose.

E is the E-clip that holds the servo saver together for shimming purposes.

Thats how it looks all put together on the bottom of the radio box. This is a little more difficult than the throttle linkage set up, so i give it a 2 out of 10 on dificulty. The difficult aspect is just in the idea you need a assortment of screws to use for attaching the servo to the new servo saver. Im glad i had my fender kit!!
Last edited by CRSMP5 on Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:27 am, edited 8 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:47 pm

UPDATE 7-24-03

Well on the pics I used a kyosho set up... for savage #2 I went to the LSH I had ordered the MP one from and found it was sitting on a shelf.. did not return it, so I bought it.

THERE is a BIG differance on the spring tension on the MP one.. and I'm not talking about just a few oz either... my kyosho has some loss to a big joe on carpet... the MP does NOT I repete it does NOT.. it also had a hitech 645 in it now also.. along with a 5 cell hump...

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

tbill
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by tbill » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:36 am

after doing this on savage #3 [with it in a million pieces], i refined the process for savage #1 with most of the truck intact [i.e. the less i gotta take off, the better i like it :wink: ].

ok, first off, i removed the battery box cover, rx 'platform', and my hump pack to get these two screws out,

i then flipped the truck over, and removed the front skid plate

i then removed the screws that hold the steering bell cranks onto the 'drag link', and removed the bell cranks along with the servo saver i was useing,[if you turn the wheels all the way in each direction, you can get to the drag link screws]

these are the stock bell cranks,

next, i got out the new MP saver parts,

this is all you need from the kit, you will re-use the stock bell crank for the fuel tank side of the truck, and the 'inner posts' from both stock bell cranks,

to assemble the MP saver, this is what you need to use [MP saver/bell crank, stock 'inner post', two bearings from the kit, and a brass spacer from an ofna clutch bell shim kit], also at this time, put a dab of grease or vasoline on the spacer to keep it in place while installing this unit.

the shim is needed to compensate for up and down movement of the saver when the 'inner post' is installed. here is an illustration of the difference in installed height between the set up without and with a washer,

now that the MP portion is ready to go, you need to remove the plactic bushings from the stock bell crank [top and bottom, where the 'inner post' goes thru], and install the other two bearings from the MP kit,

now that both bell cranks are assembled, slide the two screws that go in the bottom of the radio box back into their holes, and stand the truck up on it's rear bumper so you can install the bell cranks,

with the bell cranks installed, you'll note that the stock one stays under the drag link, while the MP bell crank is now on top of the drag link,

at this point, you can attach the stock bell crank back to the drag link useing the stock screw [turn the wheels all the way in the appropriate direction and you can just get a screw driver in there to get it done], for the other side [this is where my laziness gets the better of me] turn the wheels again to their limit, and you can put the screw in at an angle to get it thru the drag link, then loosen the top screw on the bell crank [the one in the bottom of the battery box] about 1/2 way,then you can angle the bell crank enough to get the screw started, and then you can screw the screw into the bell crank arm,[tighten it untill you can still move the steering with little effort], then tighten the screw in the battery box, it will then look like this [side view],

now it's time to install the servo arm, and linkage to the bell crank. i bolted the linkage to my servo arm,[on a side note, i got 2 arms of the same part number, but each one was slightly different, and i had to enlarge the hole for the bolt to go thru] and then bolted the linkage to the bell crank. when bolting the linkage to the servo arm, install the bolt so that the nut end of it is facing toward the top of the servo arm [when complete and on the truck, with the truck in the driving position, the nut will face the ground], for the bolt on the other end of the linkage that attaches to the bell crank, install the bolt so the nut faces the bottom of the battery box [you can hold the nut with needle nose pliers, and put the pliers thru the hole in the TVP to gain access to the bottom of the bolt]. after this is done, re-install the battery, rx 'platform' and box cover. turn on the transmitter and receiver, and center the steering servo with the trim adjustment, then flip the truck back over, straighten the wheels and install the servo arm [ i used the outer most hole on the servo arm, and the inner most hole on the MP saver/bell crank]

re-install the front skid plate, then check to make sure the wheels center properly.

these are the parts i used to do this hop up,

servo arm, Ofna part #10732

MP servo saver, Ofna part #18098

servo saver to drag link screw,TP binder head M4x20mm

servo saver to linkage rod, cap head M3x15mm

servo arm to linkage rod, cap head M3x12mm

lock nuts for cap head bolts, M3

not a bad install, the only thing that will give you some trouble is the way i attached the drag link to the new servo saver, it takes a bit of fooling around to get that screw in there, but i got lazy and didn't want to take a lot of stuff off to get around that particular issue, but it does work out :wink:
savage #1 lrp z28, savage #2 mach .26, savage #3 wasp .26, savage #4 mach .26, savage X, Hellfire, GS storm,
2 nitro M/T's with a few mods, mini-T, 'magic wheels' Snap-On truck, xmod evo [firebird], LST2

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

CRSMP5
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by CRSMP5 » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:42 am

Twin_Detonator
Savage Enthusiast

Posted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 4:10 am
Post subject: Wow! did the MP servo saver mod...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

all i can say is a 100% improvement! it turns so much better! halves the turning radius!

although i had some trouble setting it up, after about 4 hrs of doing that and taking apart my HS-645 MG BB servo (wasnt working properly) finally it came together! its great!

but for all those UK users who cant et hold of the MP servo saver, if you go to www.modelsport.co.uk, and search "H84098" then you will find it. itsjust under a different stock number... and its

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links