HOT BODIES CVDs & CLAMP-ON HEX HUBs

Tech tips for the Savage can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

32Ford
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

HOT BODIES CVDs & CLAMP-ON HEX HUBs

Post by 32Ford » Tue Mar 25, 2003 9:24 pm

I received my Hot Bodies Mega Travel CVDs a while back, but just recently had time to install them while doing a complete tear-down and cleaning. While i was at it, i replaced all the drive cups also.

The Hot Bodies CVDs are some of the nicest well made CVDs i've ever seen. I chose the HB over some of the other Manufacturers CVDs because they are steel. My experience with Titanium CVDs has not been favorable at all. The Titaniums wear very quikly, so for this reason I decided to give the HB a try. While I was at it, I installed the HB clamp-on aluminum wheel hub hexs. I decided to install these, because if i remove a wheel while out running my truck i don't have to worry about the hex coming off and possibly losing a drive pin. These Hexs clamp to the axle via a small 2mm bolt and stay put when removing a wheel.

Here are the Hot Bodies part #s I chose to install:

61155 CLAMP-ON ALUMINUM HEX WHEEL HUB

61153 MEGA TRAVEL DRIVE SHAFT (CENTER REAR)

61154 MEGA TRAVEL DRIVE SHAFT (CENTER FRONT)

(2) 61152 MEGA TRAVEL DRIVE SHAFT (AT ALL 4 CORNERS)

Pryor to instalation i diassembled all the CVDs completely and soaked all parts in Laquer Thinner to degrease them and remove any metal shavings left from the machining process. This will also aid in the LokTite providing a better bond to the set screws that hold the pins in the ball cups.

I reassembled in reverse order with one exception. I added an extra 4mm X 4mm set screw to the ball cup pins in each CVD. My experience with other CVDs has shown me this is nessisary to keep the pin from working out. Install one set screw using blue LokTite firmly and then install the extra set screw to the other side in the same fashion. This will jam the pin from both sides prventing it from coming loose and possibly getting lost. I let them sit overnight to alow the LokTite ample time to cure.

The next morning I lubed the CVDs with White Lightning self-cleaning wax lubricant. It actually sheds dirt while providing a wax based lubricant to help reduce friction and wear. I also used the White Lightning on my dog bones with exelent results while they were in. After the truck was reassembled i added the White Lightning to all drive cups located at the diffs and transmission to prevent wear there.

I pulled the CVDs the other day to inspect for wear after 12 tanks of fuel, and found none, period. All six drive shafts showed the same, 0 wear and no twisting. I was inpressed to say the least. At the end of each days running I reaply the White Lightning to all joints to keep them lubed and in top shape. This is done esyest if you take an application straw from a WD-40 can and push it in the hole of the WL bottle. This will allow you to reach those hard to get at spots (ALL OF THEM ARE HARD TO REACH) and apply just a few drops were needed.

I anticipate the HB CVDs to give an exelent service life if properly cared for and maintained. They really help to tighten up the drivtrain and provide slop free operation. I would recomend them to all that are considering a drivetrain up-grade.

Good Luck and Have Fun.

Jim....

WHITE LIGHTNING DRY LUBE..................AVAILABLE AT MOST BICYCLE SHOPS info buy it online!!
NOTE THE SET SCREW....THE EXTRA ONE IS DIRECTLY OPPOSITE THIS ONE
NOTE THAT THE BLACK OXIDE COLOR IS NOT WORN OFF AFTER 12 TANKS OF FUEL
NOTE THE DRIVE CUP SHOWS NO SIGN OF WEAR AFTER 12 TANKS OF FUEL
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/][img]http://www.savage-central.com/banners/468x60banner.gif[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

32Ford
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

Post by 32Ford » Sun Mar 30, 2003 12:59 am

I've got 2 gallons of fuel on my HB CVD's now and i'm impressed with their durability and wear characteristics. After 2 gallons their still tight and show little sign of wear and mostly just the black oxide has been removed and the surefaces polished. I do religisously apply the White Lightning lube after each bash session to alow ample drying time before the next session.

These CVD's are worth the money if properly maintained.

Jim....

Note wear on diff cup. The lube works.

Note: No visiable signs of wear, just polished sureface.
[url=http://www.savage-central.com/][img]http://www.savage-central.com/banners/468x60banner.gif[/img][/url]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links