How to assemble Maximizer Beadlocks

Tech tips for the Savage can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

USRFobiwan
Savage Extraordinaire
Savage Extraordinaire

How to assemble Maximizer Beadlocks

Post by USRFobiwan » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:59 am

This tutorial is about the www.maximizerproducts.com Beadlocks. This tutorial wil show you how to assemble the Maximimzer Beadlock system with you tires. First make sure you have inserted the foam in your new (or old) tires.

Introduction: This is the Maximizer Beadlock. The "Beadlock" means locking the bead of the tire (or wall) to the rim. With special rings the bead of the tire is pushed against the inner side of the rim. By tensioning the screws the rubber gets tight between the ring and the rim. This is working for both the back and front side. There is no glue needed for this process. So if your tires are worn, just unscrew and change your tire. Or if the rim has been broken by heavy abuse you can save your tire. Not that this would happen soon with the Maximizer rims. The good thing about this is, that MP has all replacement parts for their system. So if you break a part. You dont need to buy a whole new rim.

Step 1: First thing you need to do is inserting the black rings into the inside of the tire. The Whole ring goes into the tire and against the inner foam. Make sure you place it as shown on the picture on the right. So the wider ringpart goes to the outside of the tire. Also do this with the other ring on the other side of the tire.

Step 2: If all did go well, it should look something like this. 2 rings on both side of the tire on top of the foam wall.

Step 3: Next up is pushing in the big backring. This goes on the backside of the tire. If you are going to do 4 tires. Please think about the drive direction of the tires so that the grooves on the the tires are pointing into the right drive direction. 2x left and 2x right turning.

Push the ring in to the tire. This is a little tricky and you need the pull the tire outwards on a few places. Also take note that the screw holes are pointing inside the tire.

Step 4: We are almost there and we cleared the first inner ring. Push it down some more so the outer wall hits the bead of the tire.

Step 5: Gently pull the tire so that the bead get better under the the edge of the ring. You dont need to pull the tire bead over it! just go around the tire and pull here and there to make it fit.

Step 6: If you did the above steps, it should look something like the picture on the right. This was the easy part...

Step 7: Lets switch to the front and place the front plate of the rim on the tire. Make sure you align the holes (see arrows in picture) then do the same thing as the rear ring and start pulling the bead of the tire outwards so the bead falls into place below the faceplate.

Step 8: Here you can see what i mean with pulling the bead of the tire outwards. The groove of the bead will fit better under the ring this way. Just gently pull and let go, all around the tire.

Step 9: If you flip the tire you can see how this looks on the inside. The yellow parts need to be fitted together, so letting a part of the tire between them would not be a wish thing to do.

Step 10: This is the most difficult part to do, here you have to push the back and front together and try to place a screw in one of the holes. If you followed step 7 and not fell asleep. then this would make your live almost easy. Otherwise you have to somehow turn the faceplate in the tire to align the holes.

Press the back and frontplate firm. And try to screw in a screw. If it does not seem to work. Turn the thing and try another hole. Sometimes this works better. Do not turn the screw all the way in! Just turn it 3 or 4 times to make the screw lock to the backplate.

Step 11: If you did your first screw (pffuuuw) then switch to oposite site of the first screw. and push the parts together and insert the second screw. Like step 10, a few turns to lock the backplate and faceplate together is enough. Turn the wheel and insert another screw and on the oposite of this screw insert another. Like a CROSS (see step 12)

Step 12: So now you have done the most difficult part. You can rest a bit and insert all other screws in the holes, give them 3 or 4 turns also. Then if all 8 screws have been inserten with a few turns. You can gently give every screw about 5 turns each. You can go in a clockwise or counterclockwise direction.

Step 13: If you flip the rim over, you can see that the gap is going to be closed after every round of screw turning. You can see this on the right.

Step 14: A few rounds later you can see the gap is closing. Some parts are thighter then others. so Turn over and start screwing again. the 2 sides (backplate and front plate) will fall over each other by each round of screw turning.

Step 15: Here you can see a zoomed out version of the final result. Depending on the thickness of the tire you should always check how far you can go. With the Imex tires i used i could go this far. You can test this By pulling on the tire and see if it seems to pop out. You cant really notice how much turns you need or notice when the end is reached. But if you do it this far. The tire would never pop off the rim.

Drive direction: Also when assembling take a note on the drive direction of the tire. The left side of the car needs to be mirrored from the right side of the car. But this depends on what tires your use. It happend to me when i need to start all over again and switch the backplate and frontplate. I happens to me so it can happen to you!

Thats it. I hope you find it useful.

Discussion for this tech-tip can be found HERE.
My engines: s.25 | s.25 ported | sh.28 | sh.28Pro | LRPz.28 | LRP.28sp3| OS.30 | 3x OS.21 |
[b]HPI insider: Has left the building[/b]

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links