SAVAGE Break In, Tuning, Build and General Tips

Tech tips for the Savage can be found here.

Moderator: Moderators

HIRISK
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

SAVAGE Break In, Tuning, Build and General Tips

Post by HIRISK » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:38 am

Thanks must go to all the guys who have already posted Tech Tips and Guides on this forum as without those, I could not have done most of what you see below.

These tips are not a must for everyone and as peoples skill levels and sometimes more importantly patience levels vary, just take on board what ever you feel will benefit you most.

1) MAKE IT REALLY READY TO RUN BEFORE YOU EVEN RUN IT

The first thing I did when I took my Savage25 out of it's box was strip it almost completely down. This is not necessary for the SS as it comes out of the box already in bits.

This initial strip down of the RTR is a good idea as you really get to thoroughly check all the parts and correct anything that has come from the factory as a fault.

I bought a few things to add to the Savage right from the start just to make it run as well as I could. These are not major modifications, rather just add ons to make running the truck more enjoyable.

This included Hitech Servo's. I used the 645MG for steering and the 475HB for throttle/brake. I also installed a 6V 5 Cell Hump Pack and added a different on/off switch so that I could run an external charge lead which means that you don't have to remove the Hump Pack for charging.

When re-asembling your Savage, take the opportunity to loctite all metal to metal screws. I would suggest using a BLUE locktite as it is not as strong as the read, making dis-asembly at a later time a lot easier.

Here is my Savage25 in pieces:

Here are some of the parts waiting to go on:

Once I had the engine removed I took the Roto Start and back plate off and sealed it with Oxygen Safe Silicon and also LOCTITED the 4 screws on the back plate and also on the Roto Start when re-assembling the back plate.

I also removed the carb and Silicon sealed the neck and then loctited the nut on the pinch clamp.

Remember you only need a very small bead of silicone because when refitting the parts the pressure will dispurse the silicone over a larger area.

I used Tamyia Thread Lock (Blue) and Oxygen Safe Silicon for these tasks.

Here is a shot of the engine removed from the Truck

While the Truck was in pieces, I took the opportunity to do the bleeding my shocks mod http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic29.html as the stock HPI oil is not silicon and does not work anywhere near as well as good quality silicon shock oil.

I used Orion shock oil and went for 30wt front and 35wt rear. What weight you use is really is up to you and how you drive. There are many good topics within Savage Central relating to what weight shock oil suits what conditions, just do a search for them.

I also fitted a set of shock socks at this point as they really do a great job in keeping the shafts dirt free. This is not really a mandatory mod, it is just a personal touch you may want to add.

Here is a shot of the finished shocks

I then stripped down the diffs in preperation for the Bullet Proof your Diffs mod http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic2200.html. It is a good idea to do this while your Truck is in bits.

Here are some shots of the diffs

After this I proceeded to do the Throttle Rod Setup http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic2179.html which is a great idea as it will give much improved brakes and better control of the throttle and brake adjustments.

I used an OFNA Servo Horn and OFNA Linkages to complete this mod.

Here is a few shots of the Throttle Mod

I then did the MP Servo Saver Setup http://www.savage-central.com/ftopic2361.html. This is a much better setup than the stock Servo Saver setup and I highly recommend it.

I used a Hitec Metal Servo Horn attached to a Hitec 645MG Servo.

I also replaced the factory linkage that runs between the Servo horn and the Bell Crank and made a custom length adjustable one using some OFNA Rod Ends and a small bolt with the head cut off to link the Rod Ends. This just gives a bit more adjustability.

The OFNA Monster Pirate Servo Saver was used and I fitted HPI Steering Ball Bearing as well. I also have used a GPM Alloy Steering Cross Member just to make things that little bit more rigid.

The steering is now AWESOME!!

Here is a shot of the parts I used to link the Servo to the Servo Saver (at the top of the pic is the standard rod which I replaced with a custom length adjustabel rod)

Here is a shot of the Alloy GPM Tie Rod

Here is a few shots of the setup finished
PLEASE NOTE: Being the dummy I am, I put the alloy GPM steering rod on facing the wrong way!! Doh!! Please look at the first picture showing the standard plastic rod facing the CORRECT WAY:

I then added an OFNA fuel filter as this is just a nice precaution to take. I mounted this at the rear of the Truck as the extra fuel line helps keep the Truck running a bit longer in the event of a roll over.

Here are some shots of the Fuel Filter Setup

If you plan on running a Fuel Tank Guard you may need to slighlt modify this as the tank on the S25 is different to that on the SS and S21 which most current guards are designed for.

You just need to drill a large hole in the back of the guard then file it clean. This just allows the rear pick up on the tank to clear the Tank Guard.

Some shots of the Tank Guard Mod

Another good idea is to tape up all that unwanted Antenna wire. It can just get in the way when you are trying to access your receiver box and is best tucked away. I just bunched mine up and taped it then used a small amount of double sided tape to attach it to the receiver.

Here is a shot of the antenna wire

This completes a very comprehensive pre run build up that will ensure your Savagwe has the goods to bash all day every day!! You do not need to all of these mods, just choose the ones that suit your skill and needs the most.
Last edited by HIRISK on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:50 am, edited 19 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HIRISK
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by HIRISK » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:39 am

2) AVOID RUNAWAYS

To avoid runaways I have installed a Venom Fail Safe and also a Throttle Return Spring. This way if I ever have a failure the Truck will not run off at full pace into a brick wall or what ever else jumps in front of it.

What you need to do is get a hold of a spring that is probably about 3 or 4mm in diameter and about 15 to 20mm long (but use what ever suits your application). It needs to have a little hook on each end. Losi actually makes a throttle return spring - Part#A-9409. (thanks Corrado)

Attach one end of the spring to the end of the slide linkage where your throttle rod is attached and then the other end can go to a few places depending on the length od your spring. You can try these....

* attach it to the base of the HSN and have it stretch around the base of the airfilter and over to the slide linkage.

* attach one end to the TVP chassis near the HSN and have it stretch around the the slide linkage.

* Or what ever else you come up with.

At the end of the day, as long as it pulls the carb shut when you are not on throttle, that is what is important.

Here is a shot of the Fail Safe

Here is a shot of the TRS
Last edited by HIRISK on Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HIRISK
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by HIRISK » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:40 am

3) MONITOR YOUR TEMPS!!

You really should have some method of monitoring your temps. I chose to install a Venom Temp Monitor to keep an eye on things.

After receiving a great tip from Savage_25_Guy I have relocated my Temp Monitor to on top of the rear shock tower. This has a few advantages as you can remove it easily for cleaning by pulling the two pins out that hold the body post on and just slide it off with that and also it is MUCH easier to read in this location with the body on.

But after crushing it in a roll over, I decided under the body would be the safest place. If you have the stock Savage25 body, you will need to cut a hole in the side windown to view it, but other bodies with clear windows are OK.

Here is a shot of the new location

On the rear body mount

...and with the body on

On the TVP
Last edited by HIRISK on Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:25 am, edited 5 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HIRISK
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by HIRISK » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:40 am

4) FINISHED BUILDING AND READY TO BREAK IN!!

Now your Savage is all ready to Break in and should be looking hot!!

Here is a few shots of my baby:

....with Pro Line F-150 body and RPM Wheels:
Last edited by HIRISK on Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:31 am, edited 4 times in total.

Link:
BBcode:
HTML:
Hide post links
Show post links

HIRISK
Savage Enthusiast
Savage Enthusiast

Post by HIRISK » Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:41 am

5) BREAK IN PROCEDURE

this is something that I have put together from my own experience with the S25. I have not had any problems starting the new engine, it actually started FIRST TIME and did not stall at all through the entire Break in process and it has run like a dream ever since break in. So I hope this helps some S25 newbies.

1) Check needle settings and ensure that the HSN is 4.5 turns outr from closed and then make sure the LSN is flush with the carb body.

2) Take the factory glow plug out and use a hotter plug. I used a Enya #4.

3) Fill your tank with fuel.

4) Put your Savage on a box or stand so the wheels can spin freely.

5) With your Radio gear turned OFF manually open the carb about a 1/4 of the way.

6) Get a regular everyday hairdryer and heat the block until it reaches about 140f to 150f. This will help the first start. This takes about 2 or 3 minutes.

7) Prime the motor by Inserting the Roto Start into the block and put your finger over the exhaust outlet. Press the Roto start button only VERY BREIFLY and watch the fuel in the fuel line. Once the fuel is about 1/2 an inch from reaching the carb - STOP, as this is enough.

8 ) Now you are ready to fire it up and Heat Cycle the engine. Be ready to adjust the carb by hand just incase it is open to much or not enough. Press the Roto start button until the motor fires up (this should only take a few seconds). Once the motor fires up remove the Roto Start and adjust the carb for a slightly high idle. (My SAV25 started first go using this method and did not stall at all through the entire process).

9) Once it is idling OK just let it sit there running for 3 minutes. Keep an eye on the temps and make sure they don't go to high.

10) After 3 minutes, shut the motor down by putting your finger over the exhaust. Once the motor stops use your finger to spin the flywheel and make sure the piston is not stuck at Top Dead Centre. Basically just make sure you can spin the fllywheel back and forward a little.

11) Let the motor completely cool down and then repeat steps 8, 9 and 10 4 more times.

12) Once you have completed Heat Cycling the motor you can then take it off the stand or box and get ready to take it for a little drive!! Fill your tank to the top in preperation. For the next 3 tanks DO NOT ADJUST THE HSN or LSN NEEDLES. You want it to still run really rich. Drive the car like this, avoiding prlonged use of full throttle for 3 tanks of fuel.

13) By this stage you will have done 5 heat cycles and driven through 3 full tanks of fuel. Now you are ready to start tunning the carb!! Firstly remove the Hot glow plug you put in for break in and install a cooler plug. I used an Enya #5. Over the next few tanks of fuel you can slowly (1 hour turns at most) start to lean out the HSN. You will slowly see the performance of the truck start to improve. Do not rush this process, you really want another 2 tanks of fuel to go through the truck while doing this.

14) Now you are ready to really make some power!! Firstly you need to tune the HSN and make sure that it has a nice blue trail of smoke from the exhaust at all times and keep the temps under 295f at max.

15) Now tune your LSN. This really will not need much, if any adjustment.

16) Lastly set your idle to a nice smooth idle.

That is it!! Your SAVAGE has been broken in and will start to loosen up more and more as you run more fuel through it. Just keep an eye on your temps and the smoke trail from your exhaust.
Last edited by HIRISK on Sat Oct 25, 2003 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Traxxas Revo[/b]